Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 25 Jan 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2113514)   #1
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another team in IRL for 2009?

And it's not just anybody.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64852
Quote:
Champ Car team co-owner Carl Haas plans to take his multiple title-winning team to the rival IndyCar Series in 2009 if a merger between the two championships cannot be agreed before then.

"It may not happen this year, but it's highly probably that we'll go for 2009 because there needs to be one series."
Quite honestly I think this would mean the end of any real "battle" between the two series. It would also improve the IRL greatly to have really all the "great open wheel teams" in the series, and you never know who might follow them over.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2113674)   #2
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Jon Lincoln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope for a merger rather than a straight takeover. The great minds of both series should come together.

The core product I feel should be built around the Indy 500 but the great Champ Car races have a place too.

Here's hoping that sense prevails and that open wheel racing comes out of this strong.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 07:19 (Ref:2116814)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A merger thread already exists, Jon; this one should be aboput the possible choice of Mr Haas.

As i told in a past thread, It's hard to me to understand how come a team like NHL can find motivations in the current CC.

It's like Real Madrid entering the Iceland national League.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2116931)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For prestige and history, NHL is the best ChampCar team, but one or two others are well-funded and competitive. I remember when Forsythe/Green and Ganassi were small teams. They may not be the best ChampCar team at present - it may have all been Bourdais. We'll have a better idea after this year.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2117107)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they got a good part of their wins after Ganassi, Andretti and Penske quit
Old 30 Jan 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2117394)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How do AGR, Gannassi and Penske feel about competing against Vision, D & R, Duno, Beck etc
Old 31 Jan 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2117536)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
How do AGR, Gannassi and Penske feel about competing against Vision, D & R, Duno, Beck etc
But they can at least fight each other (8 drivers involved), hadn't you ever realized that?
Old 31 Jan 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2117867)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
But they can at least fight each other (8 drivers involved), hadn't you ever realized that?
Oh wow.
Old 1 Feb 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2118172)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Oh wow.
you hadn't either, eh?
Old 1 Feb 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2118721)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
you hadn't either, eh?
Yes I had. I was just expressing my unbridled enthusiasm for such a competition.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 03:40 (Ref:2118836)   #11
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Probably the same way that Ganassi, Penske, and Newman-Haas felt about competing against Euromotorsport, Project Indy, Dick Simon, Leader Cards, Arciero, and Raynor 20 years ago.

Backmarkers are nothing new to racing. In fact they're as old as racing itself and it seems when a league is healthy it attracts MORE backmarkers.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2119699)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Remember how Dick Simon Racing would get like, six cars into the field at the 500?

With the way CIRCL is these days though, a return by Dick Simon Racing to the grid would be an improvement.

Agree with you here, drdisque, a healthy series is always going to attract teams who want to step up and get in on the action.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2119721)   #13
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
John,

I'd love to see Dick Simon back. If I were trying to put a young rookie in the Indy 500, Dick Simon would be guy I'd want -- he has a fabulous record of getting drivers in the field (and having them do well). I've only met him briefly (during the Andy Evans days), but he understood how to drive the track, from his own experience. Unlike many drivers, he could also teach those skills to someone else. (Some of the very fastest professional drivers I've known were completely incapable of explaining exactly what they were doing.)

I'm happy with these new teams; little teams have the opportunity to grow to big teams. Milka Duno isn't a team, of course, she's a driver with a large budget. Peter Baron's SAMAX is the team, and I watched Peter start the team. He's grown it well, both in size the professionalism, in sports car racing, and I expect him to do the same in the IRL (with or without Milka).

I'm happy to see the possibility of Carl Haas heading to the IRL as well. Haas gets far too little credit for his part in the split in open wheel racing, and if he returns to the Speedway there is symbolism far beyond the one or two cars be brings.

As to some of the earlier points in this thread, I know that Roger Penske will race against whoever's out there, and he will regard every one of them as a serious competitor.

Fz.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2119879)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Hi fazzaz!

That is exactly what I meant about Dick Simon - he was one of the guys bringing new talent in - if you were a decent shoe and needed a break, he was a good person to talk to.

He wasn't a bad shoe himself, either!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 02:37 (Ref:2120184)   #15
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick is 74 years old and while their are owners of that age, there's not many guys of that age start what essentially would be a new team.

And while he did field a number of young talented drivers, he also was more than willing to take a check from an untalented or inexperienced pay driver.

The names Jean-Pierre Frey, Fulvio Ballabio, Joe Sposato, and Dennis Vitolo all come to mind.