Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jan 2019, 10:44 (Ref:3873588)   #51
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Was watching Guy Martins program on the Vulcan bomber.WOW what a plane.Shame i'll never be able to see it in the air but the noise.Even better than a historic car.Or quite a lot better hehe.
I really enjoy the many programmes Guy Martin seems to be involved with in recent years. From his engineering and record breaking exploits to his travel shows such as Our Guy in China, India, Russia etc.etc. I love them all.

They are finally being aired downunder on our local BBC (cable) channel. They are all a must watch for me. Even if he is at times hard to understand with his accent! Thats what the instant replay button is for.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3873598)   #52
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Much the same as being a Brighton fan, we've been on a roller coaster ride and some over the last 30 years.

Quote:
I,m just referncing the football point.
Great choice at the moment.Shame NUFC didn't have a owner whonspent a bit.15th is a miracle with the team we've got.Oh no Man UTD and Liverpool next.I wonder what the grand total ofpoints from that will be.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3873600)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting to listen to the reporting of rail fare increases. Amazing how expensive travel by train is in the UK compared with some other European countries mentioned. Maybe they’re still subsidised?

Our regional train operator is one of many investing in much needed new rolling stock. The old ‘Inter City 125s’ are an embarrassment! The disused and overgrown sidings at Norwich Crown Point and elsewhere have suddenly been revamped ready for somewhere to park it all, but it was a bit puzzling to see that the area was completely fenced in. Appears there is a challenge / competition amongst local graffiti artists to be the first to deface new carriages.....
Old 2 Jan 2019, 12:29 (Ref:3873601)   #54
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
You seem quite knowledgable about the subject 'Bellsy'

Has someone rattled your can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Norwich Crown Point area was completely fenced in. Appears there is a challenge / competition amongst local graffiti artists to be the first to deface new carriages.....
Old 2 Jan 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3873603)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
You seem quite knowledgable about the subject 'Bellsy' Has someone rattled your can?
Can’t possibly comment.....

Did you hear about the name ‘Les Dennis’ being painted all over the city centre? The man himself had to put out press releases denying he was responsible....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46308262
Old 2 Jan 2019, 12:47 (Ref:3873605)   #56
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Interesting to listen to the reporting of rail fare increases. Amazing how expensive travel by train is in the UK compared with some other European countries mentioned. Maybe they’re still subsidised?
It's a misconception that both the Conservatives and Labour try to fool the voting public that the railway companies in the UK aren't subsidised. It's now just hidden in various forms of payments that the Treasury make to them, e.g. Southern Rail get paid compensation when they don't run services, which is why they aren't overly bothered by the unions constantly striking!

Quote:
Our regional train operator is one of many investing in much needed new rolling stock. The old ‘Inter City 125s’ are an embarrassment! The disused and overgrown sidings at Norwich Crown Point and elsewhere have suddenly been revamped ready for somewhere to park it all, but it was a bit puzzling to see that the area was completely fenced in. Appears there is a challenge / competition amongst local graffiti artists to be the first to deface new carriages.....

At least our '125s' have been revamped every time the East Coast service provider goes bust - I think that we are now on the 4th operator in just 10 years.

At least you don't have to suffer the Pacer train sets, which are loosely based on a 1950s' Leyland truck chassis with a road going coach body! They were supposed to have been replaced years ago, but weren't. Then finally they said they would go by today, but as other parts of the region are running ages behind completion time for the long promised electrification of the North West, they cannot release their old diesels sets to replace the Pacers!

I'm sure the Fat Controller could do a better job than the showers that permeate Whitehall.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3873606)   #57
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Unfortunately the public have no idea how expensive the rail system is to maintain. And whennit is maintained they moan about delays and cancellations.
Most major maintenance has to be done at night and in shiort periods to limit disruption to services. It cost a fortune in project mobilisation and drmobilisation costs on a nightly basis. Night time or weekend working costs a fortune in labour charges and difgicult access to remote locations can mean that a 12 hour shift results in only 4 hours productive working.
And whilst the london centric media moan about rai costs no one compares rail to the cost of motoring and our need to buy depreciating assets!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3873607)   #58
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unless I missed it, I don't think that our Bob had told us that he had been involved in the latest Vauxhall radio adverts, regaling the public with his recent travel arrangements!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3873615)   #59
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Unless I missed it, I don't think that our Bob had told us that he had been involved in the latest Vauxhall radio adverts, regaling the public with his recent travel arrangements!
Mike, with the many OAP's frequenting this forum, and the likelihood of dodgy tickers, any account of my motor trip to Cambridge on Christmas Day, could drastically reduce the membership of this august body. Therefore the video recording will have to remain unseen by the general public, at least until after Brexit.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3873616)   #60
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Mike, with the many OAP's frequenting this forum, and the likelihood of dodgy tickers, any account of my motor trip to Cambridge on Christmas Day, could drastically reduce the membership of this august body. Therefore the video recording will have to remain unseen by the general public, at least until after Brexit.
Reference to OAP bit.
Am I the odd one out?
Old 2 Jan 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3873617)   #61
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Reference to OAP bit.
Am I the odd one out?
No!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3873618)   #62
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Much the same as being a Brighton fan, we've been on a roller coaster ride and some over the last 30 years.
The one place I thought I wouldn't encounter a Brighton fan!
Old 2 Jan 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3873629)   #63
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Rhyming slang, mate!

Are you sure?

We are, after all, talking Norfolk here. Who knows why they needed so much Mustard (once upon a time ...)
Old 2 Jan 2019, 16:10 (Ref:3873630)   #64
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Gets my vote for the least intelligent act of the year (OK, it happened on 27/12/18) so far....

Man attempts to steal policeman's bicycle from outside a police station, in full view of a CCTC camera...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/news...cid=spartandhp

SAS Exercise?
Old 2 Jan 2019, 16:29 (Ref:3873634)   #65
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Agreed. Sad places.

The Born Free foundation is based there too. And re-homes big cats that have had to be removed from zoos or from a life as exotic pets or from circuses. Sadly they usually have to be kept in a separate large area of the park to be looked after as they cannot usually look after themselves after the life they have been treated to.
Andy, do you know if the Foundation compares life spans between the always wild animals and the freed-from-zoos arrivals?

I read that the typical life of a wild male lion is about 13yrs.

The allegedly timid one recently shot dead at the wildlife centre in the USA was, reportedly, 14 years old. A comparable period of life.

If the animals in a protected environment generally live longer (and presumably healthier) lives it presents some sort of moral dilemma about whether they should be cared for or should be left to fight things out with their peers and other animals in a wild environment.

Obviously it is just a human dilemma since the other animals are unlikely to care much one way or the other - except for competitive males of the same species who no doubt care greatly about the presence of a potentially competing male.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3873636)   #66
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
No!
OH ok haha
Yet to get my new calendar up,into to BIG.Its the new M'sport one.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3873637)   #67
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Reference to OAP bit.

Am I the odd one out?
No!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Jan 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3873638)   #68
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got one.of the MS calendars from some years back. I agree hey take a lot of wall

Old 2 Jan 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3873640)   #69
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've got one.of the MS calendars from some years back. I agree hey take a lot of wall
If you want BIG you need one of these....

http://www.mcklein-calendars.com/mot...-calendar.html

My Xmas prezzy to myself every year....
Old 2 Jan 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3873652)   #70
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The second least intelligent action of the year....?.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...QBL?li=BBr5KbJ
Old 2 Jan 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3873663)   #71
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
So, who is going to be running Historic F1 cars. I am being told that a couple of teams are packing up. Mirage could be busy Mike.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3873673)   #72
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So, who is going to be running Historic F1 cars. I am being told that a couple of teams are packing up. Mirage could be busy Mike.
Is that for the Masters?
Hopefully grids can go up a little.Struggled at some rounds last year.Hoping to go the UK rounds they are at along with potentially PR and Spa aswell.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3873675)   #73
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

It's even worse when you already have a Mitsubishi Rallycross,the hobbit film and 60s Sportscars posters and pics already on your wall.I had a small calendar before with a sticky hook thing thats yet to come of.I'm scared I'll take half the wall with it knowing my luck.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3873680)   #74
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No!
If you chaps are not OAP's what are you doing here? Bigger orf, and start a Classic Racing Today Forum
Old 2 Jan 2019, 19:12 (Ref:3873682)   #75
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Reference to OAP bit.
Am I the odd one out?
Yes! But for totally different reasons.