Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Jun 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1326152)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A very lucky Frosty....

Frosty Winterbottom has an incredibly lucky escape... look at the hole in the floor of his car...

And from the press release regarding the damage (from RaceNews)

THE GRATE ESCAPE

In 1980 it was the Bathurst rock that halted Dick Johnson in his tracks.

On the eighth lap of yesterday’s opening V8 Supercar race at the Shanghai International Circuit in China it was a steel drain grate that stopped Larkham – Orrcon Racing’s Mark Winterbottom in his tracks and has the 24-year-old thanking his lucky stars.

The grate measuring 240mm X 480mm and weighing 20 kg’s was extruding from the ground by over 200mm after it had been moved by another car exiting turn five on the circuit.

As Winterbottom exited the turn he hit the grate at 130km/h slicing through the front Kevlar splitter and impacting on the radiator and the engine sump.

The most frightening part for Winterbottom and the Larkham – Orrcon team is the fact that as the car traveled across the upturned grate it sliced through the floor tray impacting with the bottom and rear of the driver’s seat before gauging a hole immediately behind the seat.

This gouge measures a massive 200 x 800mm and almost sliced through Winterbottom’s carbon fibre seat.

Such was the ferocity of the great that is has also sliced the roll bar cross member in half like a carbon tipped saw.

“Exiting turn five I took the normal racing line that runs right to the edge of the track and hit a drain grate that was sticking up. It made a huge thud inside the car but I didn’t feel the brunt of the impact as it lifted my car of the ground,” said Winterbottom.

“I knew it had done a fair bit of damage but it wasn’t we got the car back to the garage that I had a look in the back of the car and seen how much damage was done inside the car.

“The grate impacted on my seat, but only just, it wasn’t until I woke up this morning that it hit me and I realized how lucky I really was to escape uninjured.”

The damage repair bill is expected to reach in excess of $75,000 with the components that are required to either be replaced or repaired as follows:

- Front spoiler
- Intake duct
- Front cross member
- Radiator
- Heat exchanger
- Steering rack
- Front roll bar and mounts
- Right and side exhaust
- Driver’s seat
- Seat belts
- Oil cooler
- Differential housing
- Watts Linkage arm assembly
- Floor from driver’s seat to rear fire wall
- Front & Rear roll bar cables
- Fuel cell box
- Internal roll cage
- Engine sump

“I have never seen anything like this in my life, the bizarre irony this being a potentially being the world’s most impressive racing facility and having something as insignificant as a piece of drainage caused so much carnage to a race car. Mark is a very lucky man,” said team owner Mark Larkham.

As a result of the damage Winterbottom didn’t start in today’s final two races at the Shanghai International circuit.

Event organisers increased the safety overnight on the area of the circuit where the incident took place by covering the drain grates with a row of tyre barriers on the edge of the circuit and have also indicated that the drains may be filled with concrete for future events.

Now that is an amazing hole!! Will the team be able to get the car to the next round of the series in Darwin, if the cars arrive home Tuesday, and crews not long after, they have only 4 days or so to rebuild the shell/cage before wandering up to Darwin...

From the look of this picture, and the damage list in the press release, it will be very touch and go..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Jun 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1326153)   #2
Guss
Racer

Guss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think winterbottom can thank his lucky stars ( hes bottom and*** was not damaged)

Very very lucky
Old 12 Jun 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1326208)   #3
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would have happened if that the same situation occured during a F1 Race last year, and an F1 Car hit the grate ?
Old 12 Jun 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1326210)   #4
Growling Ferret
Racer

Growling Ferret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The grate Winterbottom hit was on the 'joining' section, and not on the F1 circuit. But, F1 drivers may be advised to miss the ripple strips in 2006...
Old 12 Jun 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1326221)   #5
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very lucky to escape a serious injury. I hate to think what might have happened had it contacted his seat harder.

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 12 Jun 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1326230)   #6
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how the hell the brilliant v8 stewards missed that is beyond me.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1326803)   #7
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stewards? Wha?

Black flad the marshall for not running on the track during the race to remove a 20kg grate? Dont think so.....
Old 13 Jun 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1326889)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They put a huge stack of tyres over the drain as a solution on Sunday, and were reportedly saying the drain may be cemented in for the next race...so there is more than one way to solve such an issue...

Too late for Frosty, and Mr Larkham's small budget
Old 13 Jun 2005, 01:03 (Ref:1326917)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should bolt the grates down
Old 13 Jun 2005, 02:21 (Ref:1326940)   #10
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by resisturban
Stewards? Wha?

Black flad the marshall for not running on the track during the race to remove a 20kg grate? Dont think so.....

well the stewards do a lap of the circuit at the start of the day to make sure the track is safe.

its sumtimes also done before the v8 race is about to occur.

ive never seen a black flag given to a marshall
Old 13 Jun 2005, 03:02 (Ref:1326950)   #11
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
They should bolt the grates down
Abso - fargin lutely! That was terrible, no way should that thing be moveable.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 03:46 (Ref:1326970)   #12
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I had a sore scrotum just looking at the damage
Old 13 Jun 2005, 05:10 (Ref:1327011)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Send the bill to the fools who run the circuit.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 05:11 (Ref:1327013)   #14
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
These Chinese grates must not like touring cars.

Similar incident happened at the DTM race last year in China, although it was on a temporary street circuit and not the Shanghai grand prix track.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 05:57 (Ref:1327033)   #15
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
These Chinese grates must not like touring cars.

Similar incident happened at the DTM race last year in China, although it was on a temporary street circuit and not the Shanghai grand prix track.
Saw that on ESPN........... they had to race out in a truck and weld it shut.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 13 Jun 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1327144)   #16
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unbelievably lucky!
Old 13 Jun 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1327318)   #17
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine if it was a traditional style seat or just a poly or whatever one people run in lower classes rather then carbon fiber it could have been a very very serious injury because I imagine it would have done more damage to a human then it did to the metal work. I believe the track or promoters etc should be paying for the damage to the car as it wasn't an accident on the drivers behalf it was purely a track failure.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 01:14 (Ref:1327878)   #18
silvervsix
Racer

silvervsix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a big hole frosty is very lucky. Wonder if larko still thinks the trip to china was worth it. Could they ask for some money to fix the car from the track or the race organisers? seems a bit harsh that LMS has to pay for somrthing like this.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 07:03 (Ref:1434762)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So the geniuses running this circuit... let this happen again... this time to JPM's McLaren.....

This should get the FIA safety group very concerned I hope!

An F1 car + 1 grate = big mess....
Old 16 Oct 2005, 07:23 (Ref:1434767)   #20
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
So the geniuses running this circuit... let this happen again... this time to JPM's McLaren.....

This should get the FIA safety group very concerned I hope!

An F1 car + 1 grate = big mess....

I would have thought they would have been concerned after the Winterbottom incident. Not concerned enough as it appears.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 07:49 (Ref:1434772)   #21
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sensible train of thought would have been "Hmmm glad that happened in a V8 Supercar race not F1 - we'd better fix it so it doesn't happen in the main, big series!" Obviously not.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1434791)   #22
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CHina should have their GP taken away from them.

There are plenty of other circuits which can actually solve there problems lining up to for a spot in the season. But they wont do it... because China is where all the corporate dollars are.....

You reckon Sato is bad... wait to we get a chinese bicycle peddler in an f1 car
Old 16 Oct 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1434804)   #23
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM was very laid back about it. One wonders what the result would have been if he had hit it sqaure on the tub and not the front wheel, it doesn't bear thinking about.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1434878)   #24
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
not good at but one would think that even it hit the tub the car would be effect for sure but no where near the the same as the taxi .
F1 cars are alot differnet and stronger . I would safetly say things will change at china the FIA will see to it
Old 16 Oct 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1435042)   #25
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webber
not good at but one would think that even it hit the tub the car would be effect for sure but no where near the the same as the taxi .
F1 cars are alot differnet and stronger . I would safetly say things will change at china the FIA will see to it
At that speed I would expect the grate slice to have its way through the tub, just like a knife through butter!

Mike