Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2019, 19:05 (Ref:3918518)   #3576
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the change to 18" wheels for 2021 had already been agreed.

What is of interest is that the tender document from the FIA for the new tyre supply included a detailed requirement for them to degrade to a specified level over a stint length (I think I posted a link earlier in this or a similar thread). Now they want tyres that don't degrade, so would any of the other companies that looked at bidding for the trye supply consider launching an appeal to have the tender re-opened as the specification has changed?
Old 19 Jul 2019, 20:52 (Ref:3918535)   #3577
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe the 18" wheels is not new (I think known for months), but moving away from tire specs that require poor durability to be engineered into the design is new. My take away is...

1. They are listening to the complaints about the current situation. I doubt anyone (teams, drivers, fans... probably Pirelli as well) is happy with the current spec.
2. The tire durability issue existed to create uncertainty in the race results. They must be confident that other 2021 changes will negate the need for the current tire spec.

Richard
Old 20 Jul 2019, 01:19 (Ref:3918555)   #3578
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And I think they've figured out the unexpected results lasted about as long as it took the engineers to figure out tire life so not long at all. Since it wasn't their idea there's no egg in their face for changing it
Old 20 Jul 2019, 01:29 (Ref:3918557)   #3579
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
And I think they've figured out the unexpected results lasted about as long as it took the engineers to figure out tire life so not long at all. Since it wasn't their idea there's no egg in their face for changing it
Or that the usual suspects figure them out and the rest flounder about. With the end results being roughly the same. How much time and money do teams spend trying to understand and adapt to purposefully bad tires?

Richard
Old 20 Jul 2019, 03:27 (Ref:3918561)   #3580
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bring different tyres each weekend, don’t tell them anything them and see who sorts it out best.
Old 20 Jul 2019, 04:41 (Ref:3918565)   #3581
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My memory of ground effects F1 is that the only position changes anywhere near the front of the field were due to mechanical problems and driver errors.There was virtually no on track passing.Will have to look through Autocourse lap charts for confirmation.
Old 20 Jul 2019, 06:17 (Ref:3918571)   #3582
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newey is trying to preserve his and fellow engineers playground by arguing it's the tyres that are causing the lack of wheel to wheel battles.

Dear mister Newey, we don't want cars that might be a tiny bit better at close racing with current DRS. We want cars that are so good at close racing that DRS is no longer needed or at least it's need strongly reduced. If that means you engineers have less aero freedom I couldn't care less. Go work for Airbus or something.

I hope FIA/FOM stay firm on this and I hope journo's are a bit more critical than just giving people a channel to work the public opinion for their own agenda's.
Old 20 Jul 2019, 09:34 (Ref:3918589)   #3583
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well we need cleaner bodywork for a start, none of those ugly winglets on there. And bringing in ground effect will help no end
Old 20 Jul 2019, 09:45 (Ref:3918591)   #3584
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Yup Griff, and spec the undertray, nobody can see it anyway, so why should it be a performance differentiator?

Can also make sure the undertray is not overly sensitive to air entering it and it does not leave a dirty wake.

Huge saving in time and money immediately.
Old 20 Jul 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3918604)   #3585
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
My memory of ground effects F1 is that the only position changes anywhere near the front of the field were due to mechanical problems and driver errors.There was virtually no on track passing.Will have to look through Autocourse lap charts for confirmation.
IndyCar uses ground effect and there is plenty of on track passing.
Old 20 Jul 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3918609)   #3586
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And also plenty in GP2 when they used ground effect
Old 20 Jul 2019, 22:17 (Ref:3918659)   #3587
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Ground effect of that era was really quite different to what is being proposed now. Lot more knowledge now & the software exists to run realistic simulations.

I don’t think it’ll be a repeat of those days & as others have said, it DOES work well in other current series.
Old 20 Jul 2019, 22:23 (Ref:3918660)   #3588
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I was out last night with a few people who have been around Motorsport generally for decades - the whole lot had stopped watching F1 as a “mustn’t miss” experience but now just catch the odd race. Enthusiasm gonski.

Every one of them complained about the current tyres resulting in drivers striking it around rather than actually, you know, racing.

We talked about 2021 quite a bit with enthusiasm sparking up - based on my straw (red wine) poll - 2021 can’t come soon enough.
Old 20 Aug 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3923519)   #3589
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ferrari aren't too happy about standard parts, for 2021.

https://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/145470
Old 20 Aug 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3923526)   #3590
S griffin
Veteran

Well they wouldn’t, would they? Then again non standard parts haven’t got them a title of late
Old 20 Aug 2019, 21:44 (Ref:3923558)   #3591
Richard C
Veteran

I assume it's all part of the negotiations for the 2021 regulations. Ferrari, like everyone, has an agenda that drives their actions.

Richard
Old 22 Aug 2019, 14:55 (Ref:3923763)   #3592
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FOM's 2021 design hits the wind tunnel.

that diffuser looks crazy and if they can actually push through a set of regs that reduces the wake as much as this test is suggesting then all the power to them.

whether it works or not remains to be seen but i applaud the more involved and proactive approach compared to the prior owners/administration.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...K7PjTBxtS.html
Old 22 Aug 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3923796)   #3593
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
FOM's 2021 design hits the wind tunnel.

that diffuser looks crazy and if they can actually push through a set of regs that reduces the wake as much as this test is suggesting then all the power to them.

whether it works or not remains to be seen but i applaud the more involved and proactive approach compared to the prior owners/administration.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...K7PjTBxtS.html
I like the approach they are using to do this as well. I hope it gives the desired results!

Richard
Old 23 Aug 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3923863)   #3594
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I hope that they have compared the F2 cars in the wind tunnel with their ideas.

Following on the results of the OWG in 2009; extremely poor; which is proudly quoted by Symonds and looking at the large three element front wing and collating it with Lewis' earlier observations that he believed that they had made very little advance in solving the current problems from a drivers' point of view, I am deeply skeptical.

Then add:

You might be wondering why the research and development teams haven’t put a second car behind the front car to test the wake. Symonds says that is “not necessary”.

Really!

Hope this lot are being paid at the end of the 2021 season following a practical demonstration of how good their changes are!

Last edited by wnut; 23 Aug 2019 at 11:55.
Old 23 Aug 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3923871)   #3595
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That robot arm rake deal seems alright no?

Are they even able to run 2 cars on a rolling wind tunnel?
Old 23 Aug 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3923880)   #3596
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I hope that they have compared the F2 cars in the wind tunnel with their ideas.

Following on the results of the OWG in 2009; extremely poor; which is proudly quoted by Symonds and looking at the large three element front wing and collating it with Lewis' earlier observations that he believed that they had made very little advance in solving the current problems from a drivers' point of view, I am deeply skeptical.
They have had a rocky history. However, I tend to think it was the solutions that was put forth and less about the process. Then as today, I think they had a solution in mind first, and then looked to tweak it. So if the under body wing and associated large diffuser is the wrong idea, then maybe this new effort will not work either.

I also tend to think that things are better now than before. But no doubt, we can debate this forever and provide examples of driver who think it is better or not. At this point I am looking more toward the future. And I expect they have learned from what did or didn't work from prior efforts.

So the question is... what should they do differently this time? As you say.. run multiple cars in the tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Then add:

You might be wondering why the research and development teams haven’t put a second car behind the front car to test the wake. Symonds says that is “not necessary”.

Really!

Hope this lot are being paid at the end of the 2021 season following a practical demonstration of how good their changes are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
That robot arm rake deal seems alright no?

Are they even able to run 2 cars on a rolling wind tunnel?
So that is my thinking as well.

First, I think with the movable rake, they can pretty accurately measure what is going on behind the leading car. Ideally, yes, they should then run two back to back (in various configurations), but that leads to your question chilibowl about space.

The full article has lots of info. It says that teams typically run 60% models. But to view more of the wake effect in the same tunnel size, they went with a 50% model. So that gives them more space being the car to gather "wake" data.

Then if you wanted to run two cars, the models have to be even smaller. Which starts to create problems with trusting the results. When asked about running two cars in the tunnel the answer was (quote from article)...

Quote:
We did do that in 2008, with the overtaking studies we did then for 2009, and for that, we had to go down to a quarter scale model which really is getting too small. That is what negates us doing it. Even in a big tunnel like Sauber’s, you could only really run one configuration with the cars really very close. What we’re trying to do is use CFD as our real simulation tool and this is just the correlation.
So, no doubt they would love to run two models of appropriate size, but don't have a tunnel large enough. The focus is on CFD analysis and this tunnel data just helps them see if the CFD model is working (generating wake that matches reality). If they have correlation then they should be able to hopefully trust the CFD. Teams may be limited to tunnel and CFD time. This exercise would have no limits outside of budget allocated.

Richard
Old 23 Aug 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3923882)   #3597
S griffin
Veteran

I really don’t see why they can’t keep researching it. It’ll help them achieve the right target eventually. Still I have high hopes with the underbody downforce
Old 23 Aug 2019, 16:02 (Ref:3923888)   #3598
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I really don’t see why they can’t keep researching it. It’ll help them achieve the right target eventually. Still I have high hopes with the underbody downforce
Not sure I understand. Keep researching what? Or rather... what stopped? I think there is an October deadline for setting the 2021 rules. So if this is in prep for that deadline, its gotta stop at some point before then.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 23 Aug 2019 at 16:09.
Old 23 Aug 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3923895)   #3599
S griffin
Veteran

Keep researching how to make cars that produce close racing. You can’t just settle on one solution, you have to explore all avenues
Old 23 Aug 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3923897)   #3600
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
When Swift, one of the manufacturers competing for the 2012 IndyCar design, came up with the concept of the 'Mushroom Busters', to reduce the wake, something they had already been using in Fornula Nippon.

http://www.f1network.net/main/indy-r...37/swift-ideas