Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 29 May 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2887603)   #1
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray Walker life story BBC2 Sunday 5th June 8.00pm

I hear the BBC are to transmit a documentary about the life and times of commentator Murray Walker.
It is scheduled for next Sunday evening 5th June 2011 on BBC2 at 8.00pm for one hour. With lots of archive footage from his eariest day right up to date including his recent tour in Australia this year , interviews and much more. Not to be missed I think.

Murray Walker: Life in the fast Lane
http://uk-tv-guide.com/programme-det...e/Documentary/
Old 6 Jun 2011, 08:24 (Ref:2891941)   #2
RTH
Racer

Good programme and a nice tribute.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2891977)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH View Post
Good programme and a nice tribute.
I found it excellent, but did think it was almost like an obituary...
Old 6 Jun 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2891993)   #4
RTH
Racer

Thankfully at 87 Murray is still very well ,very fit, at this moment is on the Isle of Man all week as the guest of honour for the 100yrs of the TT course more than 60 years on from when he first did a radio commentary there.
His energy and drive puts us all to shame, quite remarkable.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 09:59 (Ref:2892003)   #5
Robert Morris
Veteran

United Kingdom
heathfield
Robert Morris has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good programe well worth watching.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2892112)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Exactly what i was thinking. Maybe it's the bbc being 'pro-active' so that they have something to roll out on the day that (heaven forbid) Murray pushes up the daisys.

Lovely program though, such a top bloke!
Old 6 Jun 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2892134)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yeah me too in fact did Frank talk like Murray was dead and buried like 'he was the best' etc? I recon they probably filmed it as an obituary but old Murray just keep soldiering on and the longer the better, good and well worth watching I may try and see the repeat properly next time when not trying to push a damned great gearbox into me car on my todd!
Old 6 Jun 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2892166)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
...... I may try and see the repeat properly next time when not trying to push a damned great gearbox into me car on my todd!
so is the TV in the garage - or the car in the house ??
Old 6 Jun 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2892200)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Gotta have a TV in the garage how would I ever keep up with the soaps the amount of time I spend on those cars?
Old 6 Jun 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2892407)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It was a very good programme about a lovely man who is a near neighbour of mine.

It was interesting to hear his comments about his relationship with James Hunt. Personally, I thought those were his golden years.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2927727)   #11
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC2 are repeating this tonight at 7pm, if anyones interested. Good job, as I was abroad when it was first aired and haven't yet seen it.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2927729)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks for the heads up, I saw it first time and wantto watch it again.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2927808)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes lucky it was re-shown. Very enjoyable programme and lovely to see most of the drivers only to happy to stop and offer their time and thoughts to him in the Paddock.

Also good to see Murray watching an F3 test session at Silverstone keeping his eye out for the next great hope.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 23:01 (Ref:3857043)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They showed an updated program on this on BBC2 on Saturday to coincide with Murray’s 95th Birthday. New stuff included Murray being interviewed at his house, a few more interviews than before, like with Suzi Perry, a bit of new footage such as his appearance on Pointless and some more stock footage.

Really nice tribute at the end with F1 drivers and others wishing him happy returns to the tune of the Chain

Also nice to see the F1 footage still there, despite the rights now being on C4 and not the BBC. Guess Liberty are easier on this than Bernie was, who himself was interviewed on there. Can’t remember if he was there the first time though
Old 16 Oct 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3857090)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
They showed an updated program on this on BBC2 on Saturday to coincide with Murray’s 95th Birthday. New stuff included Murray being interviewed at his house, a few more interviews than before, like with Suzi Perry, a bit of new footage such as his appearance on Pointless and some more stock footage.

Really nice tribute at the end with F1 drivers and others wishing him happy returns to the tune of the Chain

Also nice to see the F1 footage still there, despite the rights now being on C4 and not the BBC. Guess Liberty are easier on this than Bernie was, who himself was interviewed on there. Can’t remember if he was there the first time though
Thanks for this, I'll have to see if this is available on BBC i-player at the weekend. Murray Walker is a motorsport legend all the way from my childhood.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 10:25 (Ref:3857104)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rather touching some of it, especially the extra insight you got into Damon and the mutual feeling they both have for each other.

And also, the rather tempestuous relationship he had with Hunt, didnt realise it was that awful!
Old 16 Oct 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3857120)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Murray has always said he got on with Hunt, just that he didn’t respect him in the beginning because of their different personalities. He did start to warm to Hunt more when he started to settle down in his last few donkeys of his life