Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 15 Dec 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3870435)   #3201
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Pain au chocolat is a different proposition though!
Mike, you can ask for "chocolatine"! You can consider altering you croissants either with a carrot or half a potato. They are said helpful in Historic racing!
Old 15 Dec 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3870436)   #3202
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Go on - be adventurous!

Speaking of chutney, what's happened to Branston? It doesn't seem to taste as nice as it used to.
Hmmmm I think it’s srill ok John . When ever I’m away for sometime racing abroad I do get massive craving for cheese and pickle sandwich . Tell you what I do miss and that’s a good old fashion Mars Bar . Those things they churn out now are awful . Cest la vie
Old 15 Dec 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3870437)   #3203
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, you can ask for "chocolatine"!
Goodness, your parliament are even arguing about that.....

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180524/cho...nto-parliament
Old 15 Dec 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3870445)   #3204
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What the heck are they taking care of there! Really? They must have too much time in their hands. I never heard about a new war involving "pain au chocolat" pros vs "chocolatine" cons.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3870448)   #3205
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I have been there Peter, and I stayed - well, only for one night!
With the Belgian girl found on a motorway?
I must admit I got a very good English lesson with a Belgian girl. She taught me the difference between "a f...... good day" and a "good day f......"! It wasn't her mother's tongue but I did enjoy the subtlety!
Old 15 Dec 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3870451)   #3206
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
With the Belgian girl found on a motorway?
I must admit I got a very good English lesson with a Belgian girl. She taught me the difference between "a f...... good day" and a "good day f......"! It wasn't her mother's tongue but I did enjoy the subtlety!

Sorry to report that no Belgian girls were involved, Gerard! We did however meet a German breakdown driver, certainly not female.

Dan being Dan, he had hired a Fiesta for the week, & a 1-litre poverty model with fixed seats at that - guess who did most of the driving? It was a bit different to the Lotus Elite I drove out to Austria! Anyway, our journey back was delayed by what turned out to be a stone jammed in a brake.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3870452)   #3207
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Hmmmm I think it’s srill ok John . When ever I’m away for sometime racing abroad I do get massive craving for cheese and pickle sandwich . Tell you what I do miss and that’s a good old fashion Mars Bar . Those things they churn out now are awful . Cest la vie
To me it's lost a bit of its 'sweetness'. I thought perhaps my last jar was a ogue one but the one I am using now is the same.

And you are right about Mars Bars.... They don't cost sixpence anymore either.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 10:40 (Ref:3870457)   #3208
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
I've not got much time this weekend so was going to just say that we have only been talking about the EU's involvement in regulations.

My limited knowledge (some time ago now) is basically of employment projects - many of which are UK based.

As you have just mentioned the obvious (e.g. visible) benefits to people are things like roaming charges but there are plenty of others.

I'll be back but probably not until next week!

Peter
Look forward to it. Enjoy your weekend.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3870460)   #3209
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
They don't cost sixpence anymore either.
Depends on… Might find NOS!
Old 15 Dec 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3870461)   #3210
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Your six pence lead me to think about Euro. Well, our money. Day after day they swear that nothing has change. Has yes? When I buy a cuppa, lets say double expresso, it costs me around € 2,40. I pay, drink and most of time enjoy it. What if the bar tender had to say "there you go, this one is only 16 Francs"!
Old 15 Dec 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3870462)   #3211
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would cost twice that in Milan.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 11:38 (Ref:3870465)   #3212
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yop, ten thousands… And at least twice better!
Old 15 Dec 2018, 12:26 (Ref:3870472)   #3213
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
To me it's lost a bit of its 'sweetness'. I thought perhaps my last jar was a ogue one but the one I am using now is the same.

And you are right about Mars Bars.... They don't cost sixpence anymore either.

I think you are right about Branston.

Also HP sauce - but then it is made in Holland these days.

I have a new jar of Branston to start. Small chunk version so bound to be different.

I suspect most of the ingredients that provided the taste have been banned on one pretext or another.

That seems to have been the fate of Mars bars and Milky Ways. Well, that and the size shrinking to not much larger than one used to get in Xmas novelty sweet collections.

In the positive side I find it very easy to avoid buying "energy giving" bars when taking motorway journey breaks. The combination of poor taste, small size and high price has, for me, eliminated the temptation.

Fruit squashes have gone the same way. There are some nice flavours around but many leave a horrible artificial sweetener after taste that imitates a dry mouth. Unpleasant. One more thing to be avoided.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3870480)   #3214
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The combination of poor taste, small size and high price has, for me, eliminated the temptation.
You dont say… But, human beings, ya no……
Old 15 Dec 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3870482)   #3215
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
All that ‘energy bar’ stuff is a rip off. Pack a banana for the trip.....

I went off Branston a while back but tried a supermarket own label ‘sweet pickle’ instead. Much more to my taste- and cheaper!

And never touch mars etc nowadays. Consume quite a bit of proper dark chocco (70% min) though....
Old 15 Dec 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3870495)   #3216
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ha, et bien voilÃ* c'est exactement mon régime alimentaire les week-ends de course. Banane, chocolat au lait parfois avec noisettes, énergétique certes, mais pas trop régime minceur… Just add some Coke and en voiture!
Old 15 Dec 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3870499)   #3217
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Ha, et bien voilÃ* c'est exactement mon régime alimentaire les week-ends de course. Banane, chocolat au lait parfois avec noisettes, énergétique certes, mais pas trop régime minceur… Just add some Coke and en voiture!
Certainly not to be sniffed at!
Old 15 Dec 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3870506)   #3218
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No, no of course, injection only! Thats how we spend time when we have a full yellow………
Old 15 Dec 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3870520)   #3219
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Its turning from yellow to red actually… At last some women are "pointing" the right direction pic.twitter.com/jMdkf4u6Z4
Our policemen had to learn on the hard way though…
Nothing like bon goût Ã* la française Should they need some help…
Old 16 Dec 2018, 05:26 (Ref:3870619)   #3220
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A very British way of doing things? London Bridge Station last Tuesday.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdcFzmDwH8w

Certainly made me smile.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3870625)   #3221
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
A very British way of doing things? London Bridge Station last Tuesday.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdcFzmDwH8w

Certainly made me smile.
Don't know about smile, Mike, made my eyes water, but then ,,,,, I am an Old Softie.

Nice post. Thanks.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 08:49 (Ref:3870631)   #3222
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
[QUOTE=Mike Bell;3870482]All that ‘energy bar’ stuff is a rip off. Pack a banana for the trip.....

I went off Branston a while back but tried a supermarket own label ‘sweet pickle’ instead. Much more to my taste- and cheaper!

And never touch mars etc nowadays. Consume quite a bit of proper dark chocco (70% min) though.... [/QUO

Banana - the one thing absolutely guaranteed to make me sick! Just the sight of one is bad enough, always makes me think of compressed puke.

I will look for a different pickle next time I'm over.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3870632)   #3223
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will look for a different pickle next time I'm over.[/QUOTE]

You may find we are in a major one at the moment!
Old 16 Dec 2018, 09:00 (Ref:3870636)   #3224
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Don't know about smile, Mike, made my eyes water, but then ,,,,, I am an Old Softie.
Yes, you’re not alone. Some of us just don’t want to admit....
Old 16 Dec 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3870637)   #3225
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Any one a good idea to spot a genuine L'Tina from a De Luxe? Price tag apart…
Info here http://www.lotuscortinainfo.com/?page_id=2225 must be reliable I guess…

Last edited by Gerard C; 16 Dec 2018 at 09:21.