Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Sep 2004, 12:52 (Ref:1095120)   #1
ecurie
Rookie

ecurie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC Donington

Being lured by Beaulieu I missed this one.

How did it go?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1095199)   #2
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of a curate's egg really. Saturday was marred from a spectators' perspective by the 3 hour team race. And it was all qualifying. Sunday was in my view a great day, with the ERA race an especial highlight. But not very many people there. The opportunity to get really close to, and touch very recent F1 cars was appreciated. I was pleased with my 1:23 lap time til they went round in 54 secs.......
Old 13 Sep 2004, 14:58 (Ref:1095238)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Horsman
. . . And it was all qualifying. Sunday was in my view a great day, with the ERA race an especial highlight. But not very many people there.
There were five races on Saturday. :confused: I agree with you that the three-hour race was "not a spectator event". It would have been more bearable if:

It had started at 1500, not 1630.
We had been able to hear the commentary. Where I was (in one of the Rescue units) there are no speakers. We could not pick up any broadcast on 1602 so we quickly lost track of what was going on.

The F1 Ferrari demonstrations were superb in the case of the Ferrari test driver. Full speed laps at or around the lap record (held by an F3000, I think). In the end the team lost their bottle and had him called in. The other drivers were a bit less obviously on the cars' limits.

The Seaman trophy races were excellent and the opportunity to see 14(?) of the 19 ERAs ever built certainly made my weekend.

I thought the turnout of spectators was quite high; perhaps the best car meeting at Donington except for touring cars. Most were on the infield however and did not get to the viewing areas on the outside of the track.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 13 Sep 2004 at 15:00.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 22:07 (Ref:1095723)   #4
Ugg
Rookie

Ugg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"not a spectator event"

Well I enjoyed the 3-hour race...

Admittedly without the commentry describing which cars were in / out / not likely to reappear it could have been a bit more "challenging".
Old 13 Sep 2004, 23:35 (Ref:1095785)   #5
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with Jim I'm afraid..
Found that after the first two hours the team race became a little unbearable ......but hey......Not everyone can be pleased by everything...Still it gave us time to do other things......lol...
All in all it was a very enjoyable weekend and one which ran largely to time especially on Sunday where I thought the onset of rain would slow things down a little...
Well Done VSCC............
Old 14 Sep 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1096353)   #6
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
I was on Redgate out (Post 4) for Saturday and honestly thought it was one of the most entertaining Donington days of all year! The 3-hour race flew past, but could have done with a bit better information from race control, i.e. giving the car numbers instead of the team numbers.....

Last edited by neilwaynesmith; 14 Sep 2004 at 14:03.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 07:14 (Ref:1096986)   #7
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I enjoyed the relay, but then I was competing in it
I think it would have been far better for all if we had had a full grid. 30 teams were wanted, only 16 entered, rather a shame really. Perhaps we can provide better entertainment if it is run again.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1097241)   #8
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't there so I may be talking through my fundamental orifice.

With a team relay race surely it makes sense to either number the teams and letter the cars, e.g. 3A, 3B etc make up team 3, or
If cars have season-long numbers then letter the teams and number the cars, e.g. Team A comprises cars 7, 11, 15, 18, etc. If you run out of letters just go to AA etc. For the one race the cars can have temoporary letters added - Tyre paint, sticky tape, decals, or whatever

Just my twopennyworth in my lunch hour.

Last edited by D-Type; 15 Sep 2004 at 12:58.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1097276)   #9
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Donington, Team 1 had two-digit numbers starting with 1, Team 2 with 2 etc etc, up to Team 16 with three-digit numbers starting 16. It wasn't too difficult to follow once you realised that.
But definitely one for competitors rather than spectators - at least after the first half hour
Old 6 Oct 2004, 09:40 (Ref:1116640)   #10
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like it is happening again next year

From the VSCC website's report

Quote:
SeeRed will be taking place again next year, and we would love to see you all there to enjoy all things British and Italian in this unique event. Put the date in your diary now, September 3 – 4 2005
Duncan
Old 7 Oct 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1118118)   #11
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BugEyed,

If SeeRed is to be "all thingsBritish & Italian", perhaps you could/should suggest that the VSCC start working with Donington to promote the s**t out of it (that's an official marketing term, by the way):

Food, drink, music, a full set of Owner's Clubs, a funfair (good to keep people entertained during the 'boring' team race). In a vageuly related way, my local church has started a small French market - a dozen stalls run by traders coming over the Channel, selling real French food - every other month. It has been a fantastic success. Now consider if you devoted the infield area to zones for Italian wine (run by local wine merchants), meats & cheeses (Parmesan off-the-block). Perhaps add an English zone for local farm produce?

What appears to have been a decent event and a half decent crowd can become something different and special, for the whole family. A good deal for the circuit, and an opportunity for the VSCC to profit-share.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 10:05 (Ref:1125073)   #12
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good thinking HiRich....

If the VSCC thinks it can put on this kind of show then speaking as a very long term member of the VSCC it should do it's dam*dest to make it work profitably or not do it at all.

From my point of view, the Beaulieu Autojumble is a strong competitor for my attention that weekend so I hope it doesn't clash in 2005.

Steve McQueen.