Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Jul 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1652312)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Newey's accident in Le Mans (unhurt)

I'v just read about Newey's accident in Le Mans during a Classic Cars race. The more important part of it is Adrian is ok, although it apparently was a pretty big accident at 180 mph in Mulsanne straight. Newey was driving a Ford GT40

The side that interests me is Adrian's passion for cars, not only as a superb designer (a top F1 designer), but driving them as well. I remind when AN first appeared in F1 I somehow thought he was one of those "scientific" engineers only interested in theoretical approach to aero equations, and no worrying about if it was for a F1 car or for a can of coke (aero equations?? who knows ).

After that I knew he in fact liked the racing side, and loved cars. And I admit reading he is driving a Ford GT40 in classic races I like the man even more.

It's a shame Williams doesn't have AN aboard, like in the good old days, but, of course they all (Williams, Newey) know much better than me.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1652420)   #2
banzai_2001
Rookie

banzai_2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams certainly felt the effect of Newey leaving and so too have Mclaren. Gonzo bonzo wont be happy next year in the Mclaren
Old 10 Jul 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1652702)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Forgetting the F1 bit for a while.

Newey is an enthusiast and like many people (I consider myself in the same bracket) F1 isn't everything, so yes, he races at Goodwood, appears at the F1 races gets his GT40 out to play and even after the accident I've no doubt he will get it out again. Ooh er missus!

I think the point this makes is that there is more to life than F1 if you are a fan of motor racing.

This is a gentle nudge really, take a look at some of our other fora (ums?).

Also I truly hope he is ok and we all look forward to his latest ground breaking design.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1652714)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett

Also I truly hope he is ok and we all look forward to his latest ground breaking design.
Probably be something in the braking department.Air brakes maybe.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1652730)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy

It's a shame Williams doesn't have AN aboard, like in the good old days, but, of course they all (Williams, Newey) know much better than me.
Adrian left Williams because of the way they treated Damon Hill.

Glad he's ok
Old 11 Jul 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1653198)   #6
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a picture of the wreckage on a (ahem) different forum. Lets just say he was a very lucky man to be able to walk away uninjured. It was a BIG accident.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1653228)   #7
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
off topic : found this pic while searching the photos of the wreckage.

This definitely doesnt look like the squeaky clean looking AN of mclaren isnt it?
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1653321)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone got more information on what / why it happened? Know stuff on Autosport but can't log on.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1653344)   #9
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Apparently when he applied brakes approaching the second Mulsanne chicane, his car lost direction, went to the right and the typical sequence of crashes and destruction followed.

About the photo linked by Greenback, good to see this other face of Adrian
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1653350)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooh and that Pantera in the background.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1653365)   #11
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/53052

Do not post entire articles. Especially to sites that require a subscription.
Please check out our rules on copyright in the FAQ.
Quote the parts that are relevant to what you want to say and provide a reference or link to the rest.

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Jul 2006 at 11:57.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1653369)   #12
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Here is a link to a photo of the wreckage (not my photo). Looks a bit more than "light damage" to me!

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3433/image0294on.jpg
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1653372)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ouch!!!

But I know a man who can sort that out in no time!.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1653383)   #14
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/53052

Do not post entire articles. Especially to sites that require a subscription.
Please check out our rules on copyright in the FAQ.
Quote the parts that are relevant to what you want to say and provide a reference or link to the rest.
Edit: Apologies for that. The article basically explains that Newey lost the car under braking and veered off into the barrier. Newey is also quoted as saying the chassis "only has light damage".
Old 11 Jul 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1653402)   #15
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Newey is also quoted as saying the chassis "only has light damage".
Exactly, that'll buff right out!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1653404)   #16
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Somebody mentioned that it had rolled which bemused me a bit. Although it does look similar to that. But then a heavy impact accident would crumple anywhere.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1653441)   #17
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB
Exactly, that'll buff right out!
And it will emerge faster than ever - no doubt equipped with trick modern bushes and all the other goodies now fitted on competitive GT40 racers
Old 11 Jul 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1653680)   #18
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope Adrian Newey is OK,
Seeing the picture was very disappointing as this looks like the same GT40 he drove so well at Brands Hatch in the HSCC meeting recently. Hope it can be repaired, but it looks quite terminal. Maybe, hopefully, he's got another one.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1701698)   #19
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adrian Newwy has had a second accident in 2 months - this time he was knocked out and spent a night in hospital after crashing his Jaguar E type at Goodwood. - hopefully he is all okay now.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37202
Old 4 Sep 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1701701)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Here is a link to a photo of the wreckage (not my photo). Looks a bit more than "light damage" to me!

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3433/image0294on.jpg
Oh, thats one less Original GT40 in the world...
Old 4 Sep 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1701710)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If I were Mr Dietrich Mateschitz I would be asking Adrian to slow down a tad. I am glad that he is okay nonetheless.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1701729)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very nasty damage. but perhaps they had to get him out and had to tear the car up like firemen do on the roads and make accidents look much worse then what they were.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1701753)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
"I have no recollection of the event but I am told that we ended up with three cars abreast while lapping a backmarker," he told autosport.com.
In practice!!!! what is he on?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1701757)   #24
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
In practice!!!! what is he on?
The same as Dario Franchitti. He did the same!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1702112)   #25
GeeRam
Racer

England
London, UK.
GeeRam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie
Adrian Newwy has had a second accident in 2 months - this time he was knocked out and spent a night in hospital after crashing his Jaguar E type at Goodwood. - hopefully he is all okay now.
Not as bad as the LeMans prang.....but what with the significant damage to the GT40 and now the pranged Lwt E.....his bank balance will be a bit lighter with the repair bills.......

Here's the state of the E just after he came to a halt.....