Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2019, 22:44 (Ref:3892567)   #676
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Have any manufacturers come forward?

Perhaps Williams themselves would come forward? Or their engineering arm.

I suppose it would be a bit like McLaren making the ECUs?
Old 21 Mar 2019, 22:45 (Ref:3892570)   #677
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Have any manufacturers come forward?

Maybe Williams will. Who knows, after all, McLaren won the tender to manufacture and supply the standardised ECU that all the teams have to use. And even though that was some time ago, I believe that they still hlod the contract.

Stranger things have happened. Mind you, it would be nice to have Hewland back.
Old 21 Mar 2019, 23:13 (Ref:3892590)   #678
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Williams know all about technology. Not sure if the McLaren is relevant here
Old 21 Mar 2019, 23:43 (Ref:3892605)   #679
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It has been suggested on these pages that the FIA is to mandate a standardised gearbox from 2021 onwards. This would seem to make William's decision rather questionable.
That is for gearbox internals only - casing, oil system, CoG would all still be down to each team.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 01:00 (Ref:3892619)   #680
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo View Post
Perhaps Williams themselves would come forward? Or their engineering arm.

Since they are clearly doing so well at it?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Mar 2019, 01:33 (Ref:3892623)   #681
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why not have either Hewland, who manufacture the gearboxes for F2, or Xtrac who manufacture gearboxes for a variety of motosports series?
Old 22 Mar 2019, 01:59 (Ref:3892624)   #682
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Williams know all about technology. Not sure if the McLaren is relevant here
Why do they still use materials for the gearbox that everyone else dropped a decade ago?
Old 22 Mar 2019, 03:08 (Ref:3892631)   #683
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Because they haven’t got the money to progress
Old 22 Mar 2019, 06:56 (Ref:3892654)   #684
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Sorry, but can you explain what you mean and how what you are saying has any bearing on the gearbox issue.
What?! The Gearbox has a bearing issue already?!
Old 22 Mar 2019, 11:14 (Ref:3892696)   #685
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.motorsportjobs.com/en/jobs/williams

11 aero-related jobs going at Williams; looks like they've identified at least part of the problem.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3892729)   #686
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
https://www.motorsportjobs.com/en/jobs/williams

11 aero-related jobs going at Williams; looks like they've identified at least part of the problem.
Or there has been a mass exodus....
Old 22 Mar 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3892742)   #687
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought this was an interesting article on Williams' predicament.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142273
Old 22 Mar 2019, 19:46 (Ref:3892813)   #688
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Since they are clearly doing so well at it?
Well, it perhaps doesn't make sense in their situation to be investing in gearboxes for their own sake. But to supply the whole grid it could well do.

The issue of other teams effectively financing Williams by being required to purchase gearboxes from them is a potentially thorny one, but McLaren have done it somehow with the ECUs.
Old 22 Mar 2019, 21:37 (Ref:3892831)   #689
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What I find odd about the idea that Williams continues to develop their own gearbox in-house only because they plan to submit a bid on the F1 standard gearbox is...

The tender is just for the internal gearbox cassette and not the entire gearbox. The thing that people complain about with respect to Williams is that they continue to use an aluminum casing instead of a carbon fiber unit. So regardless of who get the tender, Williams will still be faced with the issue of... do we source a gearbox (and maybe rear-end suspension geometry/configuration) from someone else or do we build our own. And if they build their own, do they continue to build an aluminum unit or carbon one?

I suspect... that broadly speaking, the design of the internals of an F1 gearbox is not particularly rocket science (in comparison to the rest of the entire car and in particular the engine). So there are likely multiple qualified suppliers including someone like Xtrac who I believe plans to submit a bid. Even then... the spec internals while needing to meet demanding specs are intended to be the same for everyone. So there is little need (outside of acceptable cost and durability) for complex or tricky solutions. This speaks to simplicity of the solution which should expand the list of potential bidders, or... allow a highly competent supplier to outbid newcomers.

All in all, I don't buy the theory that Williams is holding out for that contract. I expect the real reason is that they just plain don't want to outsource items they feel might differentiate them. Even if their "differentiation" sucks. And that is not the internals, but the outer casing and everything that bolts too it.

Now... it will be interesting to see who gets the contract. I can already see that situation now in that somehow Williams wins the contract (lets say even on merit) and then there is speculation that they were thrown a bone to help generate revenue because everyone wants to keep Williams in F1. Does anyone even know if Williams even plans to submit a bid? For all we know Williams might even outsource much of the internals today! Their internals may be built to their spec, but do they actually do that work? Do they have the facilities to design and manufacture that many internals? If they do, they probably would need to scale up. And if you scale up would you do it just for one contract? I expect someone like Xtrac who already supplies to multiple series already has the infrastructure to support an F1 contract, while it would be a risky endeavour a small player to ramp up for a high profile contract.

Richard
Old 22 Mar 2019, 23:59 (Ref:3892849)   #690
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Richard, I think you need some research into a powershift gearbox, the material science and engineering involved in powershifting 1000 hp in the components of small compact light unit would exceed anything else in the car.
I think the fact that the gearbox will prove to be a major performance differentiator is why the powers that be are trying to outsource them to a single specialized outside supplier.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 00:26 (Ref:3892855)   #691
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if half a season of kubica to help develop the car while Russell gains experience, then swapping him out midseason for esteban ocon could be a good scenario? Then Mercedes has a more active interest in helping Williams, to give their two guys halfway respectable cars, and have a half season shootout between the two in a situation where they won't even have too many cars around them to distract from their race. Winner gets next open seat at Mercedes if bottas is not kept after this year. Would be enough of a story to get tv time for the team and sponsor too.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 01:22 (Ref:3892863)   #692
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I wonder if half a season of kubica to help develop the car while Russell gains experience, then swapping him out midseason for esteban ocon could be a good scenario? Then Mercedes has a more active interest in helping Williams, to give their two guys halfway respectable cars, and have a half season shootout between the two in a situation where they won't even have too many cars around them to distract from their race. Winner gets next open seat at Mercedes if bottas is not kept after this year. Would be enough of a story to get tv time for the team and sponsor too.
An interesting take.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 02:59 (Ref:3892872)   #693
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Richard, I think you need some research into a powershift gearbox, the material science and engineering involved in powershifting 1000 hp in the components of small compact light unit would exceed anything else in the car.
I think the fact that the gearbox will prove to be a major performance differentiator is why the powers that be are trying to outsource them to a single specialized outside supplier.
I think it’s quite the opposite on both counts. I am not discounting the technical requirements for an F1 gearstack or that they are not wonders of engineering and manufacturing. What I am saying is that it’s a known quantity by numerous parties. It’s probably as well understood as anything.

As to being a differentiator. Are teams complaining about this move to this standardize component? I don’t think so. I doubt there is little differences between them with respect to performance and this is why teams are probably ok with it. There is little to no gain by having the overhead of doing it themselves. Probably the main area of any difference would be in lubricants and that can continue to be the purview of the teams and their lubricant partner. Assuming that is not tightly controlled by whoever supplies the gear stack.

Remember I am talking about the gear cassette, not the entire gearbox. There remains plenty of differentiation in that area. It’s also not clear to me if things like the differential is part of the standardization or not.

Richard
Old 23 Mar 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3892889)   #694
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think it’s quite the opposite on both counts. I am not discounting the technical requirements for an F1 gearstack or that they are not wonders of engineering and manufacturing. What I am saying is that it’s a known quantity by numerous parties. It’s probably as well understood as anything.

As to being a differentiator. Are teams complaining about this move to this standardize component? I don’t think so. I doubt there is little differences between them with respect to performance and this is why teams are probably ok with it. There is little to no gain by having the overhead of doing it themselves. Probably the main area of any difference would be in lubricants and that can continue to be the purview of the teams and their lubricant partner. Assuming that is not tightly controlled by whoever supplies the gear stack.

Remember I am talking about the gear cassette, not the entire gearbox. There remains plenty of differentiation in that area. It’s also not clear to me if things like the differential is part of the standardization or not.

Richard
If the components are that straight forward, then why not leave it up to competing multiple suppliers to service the teams' needs. Should be cheaper than having a chosen supplier of a standard item.
Old 23 Mar 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3892892)   #695
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Kubica is paying for the season and Mercedes wouldn't pay to put Ocon in the Williams as they are already supporting Russell.

Mercedes know what Ocon can do they don't need to put him in a Williams and of you were Ocon you would give it a wide berth at the moment surely?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 23 Mar 2019, 11:40 (Ref:3892932)   #696
S griffin
Veteran

Well it depends how much Kubica improves by and it depends how much Ocon wants to be back in F1
Old 23 Mar 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3892936)   #697
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not enough to be in a dog of a Williams..... More likely to do him more harm than good, something Kubica should have been able to recognise. Smacks of desperation to get back in a F1 car somehow, anyhow.......
Old 23 Mar 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3892940)   #698
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
All of this speculation about Williams possibly supplying the spec. gearbox is making me feel guilty! A while ago I made a very glib comment to this effect as an explanation as to why they were continuing to make their own, I certainly wasn't being serious...
Old 23 Mar 2019, 12:22 (Ref:3892942)   #699
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
All of this speculation about Williams possibly supplying the spec. gearbox is making me feel guilty! A while ago I made a very glib comment to this effect as an explanation as to why they were continuing to make their own, I certainly wasn't being serious...
Look what you've started, .
Old 23 Mar 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3892944)   #700
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Makes sense, if you can't climb upto where the others are... Bring them back to you by having them use your kit.