Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jul 2008, 11:03 (Ref:2252559)   #1
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Mansells and Sportscars

As mentioned in the Creation thread, it looks rather as though Nigel and Leo Mansell may be taking more of an interest in sportscars - with some corroboration in Motor Sport (attribution from KA). There's also been some speculation linking the Mansell name and a Zytek in the ALMS.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/...ess-whos-back/

I must confess Mr Mansell never struck me as a sportscar kind of driver, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, and a showing at Silverstone might be just the thing to bring in the crowds.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2252560)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
The other thought that comes to mind is that both sons are currently racing Atlantics in the US- Am I imagining this, or have I seen a suggestion somewhere on the web that Chamberlain might be taking in the PLM this year...?

http://www.endurance-info.com/2008_L...Juillet_01.jpg
Old 17 Jul 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2252582)   #3
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure they'd be a lot better off with a Zytek P2 at both Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2252586)   #4
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
In absolute terms I'd agree a Zytek would be a better proposition and think that rumour might have a bit more legs to it - but I can also see the benefit in running the Chamberlain Lola in that
a) expectations would be managed - nobody will expect you to win
b) a direct comparison with the Intersport and Cytosport cars could tell a bit about overall competitiveness and
c) you're running with an established sportscar squad that know how to keep a car together and running reasonably competitively.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2252599)   #5
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont forget the added appeal to potential sponsors given the Mansell name. Something Mr Berridge has been without much of in the past.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2252610)   #6
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
Dont forget the added appeal to potential sponsors given the Mansell name. Something Mr Berridge has been without much of in the past.
Maybe it could help buy them a new Lola coupe.....

Wasn't it last year that Nige had a race in an Ecosse 430?
Old 17 Jul 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2252639)   #7
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think last year , yes he raced in the FIA GT at Silverstone in Ecosse F430. I went on the Sat and there was quite a fuss around him, as usual.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 14:55 (Ref:2252700)   #8
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep got him to sign my overalls! Nige was quite happy at the time but I believe that changed as the car was going backwards!
Old 17 Jul 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2252715)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
Yep got him to sign my overalls!

Man, you'll have a devil of a job getting that out in the wash now........
Old 17 Jul 2008, 16:31 (Ref:2252739)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
But only while HE was driving it...
I remember a drive in a BTCC Mondeo for RED 5 as well!

Perhaps the lads are better with a full body than Dad?
Old 17 Jul 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2252753)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mansell in the '93 TOCA shootout was the first motor race I went to, he was spectacular, even in a Super Touring car.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2252763)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
God , could you just imagine Mansell on the podium ..... he would collapse after such a marathon drive !!! lol
Old 17 Jul 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2252764)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
he was spectacular
Was that when he tried to take out the bridge at Donington ..... that was spectacular !!!
Old 17 Jul 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2252777)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was an entertainer, unlike the corporate robots we see today.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2252792)   #15
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
...and thinking back to that TOCA meeting in '93, he was pretty much on the pace in the Mondeo, but did look a bit over-aggressive with the car at times (think it was his first outing in anything fwd), so maybe no great surprise when it ended in the wall- or rather the bridge- with a little help from Tiff Needell.... It was a typical Mansell performance- drama and action all the way.....

Autosport are suggesting the intention might be an ALMS outing later this year- probably PLM.....
Old 17 Jul 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2252794)   #16
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they make the trek all the way here to do PLM, I hope they'd do Laguna Seca too!
Old 17 Jul 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2252820)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

Cant see that somehow ..... he would need 27000 years in a cyrogenic chamber to recover from a 10 hour event !!!

But , yeah , he would be exciting to see what he can do in an LMP car .
Old 17 Jul 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2252827)   #18
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Autosport are suggesting the intention might be an ALMS outing later this year- probably PLM.....
I hope that said suggestion and intention are accurate.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2252986)   #19
BRG
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
BRG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Managing Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
In absolute terms I'd agree a Zytek would be a better proposition and think that rumour might have a bit more legs to it - but I can also see the benefit in running the Chamberlain Lola in that
a) expectations would be managed - nobody will expect you to win
b) a direct comparison with the Intersport and Cytosport cars could tell a bit about overall competitiveness and
c) you're running with an established sportscar squad that know how to keep a car together and running reasonably competitively.
Am I right in thinking that petrol engined LMP cars in ALMS are running at 860KG wieght. Dyson ran very quickly at the end of their time with the lola (who thinks they would have done better last year if they had not moverd to Porsche?) Chamberlain are a very experienced team. Mansell is a very quick driver. Dunlops are as good as anything for short stints ie qualifying. How about qualifying P1 in LMP1 at PLM. I notice from the photos at Estoril that they using the old style good looking nose
Old 17 Jul 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2253015)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Cant see that somehow ..... he would need 27000 years in a cyrogenic chamber to recover from a 10 hour event !!!

But , yeah , he would be exciting to see what he can do in an LMP car .
Think John Field, but quicker still, and maintained over a full stint.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2253274)   #21
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pole in P1??? In that Lola?!

For his next trick, he'll use chocolate donkey to win the Daytona 500.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2253321)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
For his next trick, he'll use chocolate donkey to win the Daytona 500.
Oh , you mean one of those Fiat F430's ?
Old 18 Jul 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2253323)   #23
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Oh , you mean one of those Fiat F430's ?
That Fiat would run circles around a COT at Daytona!
Old 18 Jul 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2253341)   #24
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat
That Fiat would run circles around a COT at Daytona!
Sadly true.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2253356)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Sadly true.
On the roadcourse: yes. On the oval: no. COT or not, those taxi-cabs have lavish amounts of horsepower, I don't think the donkey would have a chance.