Old 15 Feb 2016, 23:15 (Ref:3614980)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bonnet Dampers (Gas Struts)

Hi,
i cant find any specific regs on these, but are Bonnet Dampers (Gas Struts) allowed on a UK MSA spec race car ?
Old 16 Feb 2016, 00:52 (Ref:3614998)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
cannot think of any reason why not - as long as the usual additional positive retention devices are also present.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 13:13 (Ref:3615095)   #3
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they're not specifically excluded, and scruitineers have never had a problem with my hatchback tailgate struts over the years.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 18:26 (Ref:3615188)   #4
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok thanks guys, i just thought they might be a bit slow opening compared to not having them.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 23:59 (Ref:3615590)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
cannot think of any reason why not - as long as the usual additional positive retention devices are also present.
David, dimly in the back of my mind, I remember something about the danger of the gas struts exploding in a fire. ???
Old 18 Feb 2016, 10:12 (Ref:3615687)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Please quote a source when you start a rumour .
If it was a problem the MSA would know, and they would be mentioned as prohibited in the Blue book.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 12:07 (Ref:3615714)   #7
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Please quote a source when you start a rumour .
If it was a problem the MSA would know, and they would be mentioned as prohibited in the Blue book.
Thanks to your prompt above, and google, I seem to have surprised even myself for a change!

http://www.firehouse.com/article/105...rut-challenges

"In a 1997 Kansas City, KS, incident, for example, a firefighter at a car fire was hit in the stomach by an exploding hood hinge strut, forcing the removal of quite a bit of the firefighter's abdomen in later surgery. "

"During a vehicle fire attack in Wichita, KS, the outer housing from a gas/spring strut hood hinge assembly propelled the entire strut unit out of the front headlight opening. The housing impaled a fire lieutenant's hand. The second strut exploded and rocketed out the front headlight assembly as well, although no firefighters were struck by the second unit.
"

a Los Angeles County firefighter assigned to Engine 43 was injured at a car fire. The firefighter was prying open the hood of a 1992 Oldsmobile Achieva to allow access to the burning engine compartment fire. Both gas hood hinge struts exploded from the hood area. One flew almost 60 feet and bounced off the wall of a nearby building. The other strut entered the front side of the firefighter's lower leg below the knee and passed through his calf. One end of the strut stuck out the opposite side of his leg.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 16:17 (Ref:3615757)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
all the quoted examples were over 10 years ago; I wonder if making them out of plastic has avoided the issue, i.e. they melt and disperse the gas at a much lower temp & pressure?