Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 Mar 2016, 14:26 (Ref:3623600)   #26
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Bowman Gray fans and how they behave are completely and utterly deplorable. Just watch any video on Youtube that involves a driver to driver fight or any on-track excursion and you'll quickly realize just what I mean.

As for me, the Local racing season is JUST around the corner! I can hardly contain my anticipation for warm temperatures and the fumes of expended race fuel! Winters up here in Massachusetts seem to last longer and longer to me each and every year, the wait is truly awful.

My local raceway, Lee USA Speedway in Lee, NH, will be holding their season opening event on the 9th and 10th of April.....The Governors Cup 150 for the American Canadian Tour Late Models. A Short video I made about the event back in 2011 (One of the rare occasions when it was a relatively warm day). Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyF0nIVdu9k Now mind you, I was far younger and far more inexperienced back then, so pardon the excessive jittery-ness of some of the footage.

I'll be at Thompson for the Icebreaker that weekend.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 01:40 (Ref:3623745)   #27
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Nah mofifieds on asphalt are not really my cup of tea.
How come? Seeing modifieds on asphalt is a 'bucket list' item for me. Pocono in particular, but anywhere really. Maybe it's because we don't have modifieds where I live, but it's always great on TV, IMO.

Quote:
Bowman Gray fans and how they behave are completely and utterly deplorable. Just watch any video on Youtube that involves a driver to driver fight or any on-track excursion and you'll quickly realize just what I mean.
That describes almost every short track near me. Depends on the night and who is 'visiting' in many cases. Admittedly, some tracks have more of a reputation than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'll be at Thompson for the Icebreaker that weekend.
You *******! Have fun!
Old 18 Mar 2016, 02:33 (Ref:3623759)   #28
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My local raceway, Lee USA Speedway in Lee, NH, will be holding their season opening event on the 9th and 10th of April.....The Governors Cup 150 for the American Canadian Tour Late Models. A Short video I made about the event back in 2011 (One of the rare occasions when it was a relatively warm day). Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyF0nIVdu9k Now mind you, I was far younger and far more inexperienced back then, so pardon the excessive jittery-ness of some of the footage.
Thx for sharing!
Nick and Matt, I'd like to hear more about your experiences this year at your home tracks. Closest to me is Winder Barrow where there's a fight every weekend and a race breaks out. I may brave a visit this year. Its dirt but now that Lanier and Peach State (Grisham) are inactive, the closest asphalt oval is AMS, I think.

I'd still like to try and get Greenville Pickens for a K&N race but the March race will be a tall order. Just wish there was something closer.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 13:40 (Ref:3623857)   #29
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You *******! Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Thx for sharing!
Nick and Matt, I'd like to hear more about your experiences this year at your home tracks. Closest to me is Winder Barrow where there's a fight every weekend and a race breaks out. I may brave a visit this year. Its dirt but now that Lanier and Peach State (Grisham) are inactive, the closest asphalt oval is AMS, I think.

I'd still like to try and get Greenville Pickens for a K&N race but the March race will be a tall order. Just wish there was something closer.
A buddy of mine and myself do the Icebreaker and World Series at Thompson every year.

I really don't get out to any other short tracks during the year as most of my Saturday nights are taken up crewing for my buddies Late Model at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl in southeastern CT. Best track in the state for actual racing, 3/8 mile and two actual grooves so you can run side-by-side for laps. New owner is pumping a lotttttttttttt of money into the facility this year. Gone are the armco barriers in the corners, replaced with concrete. All new electrical system for the track lights, new scoreboard, an additional pit gate on the exit of 2, and brand new catch fencing all the way around(lets hope its black so you can see through it). Grandstands to be torn down and rebuilt between the '16 and '17 seasons.

Last edited by Matt; 18 Mar 2016 at 13:48.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 14:04 (Ref:3623864)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
A buddy of mine and myself do the Icebreaker and World Series at Thompson every year.

I really don't get out to any other short tracks during the year as most of my Saturday nights are taken up crewing for my buddies Late Model at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl in southeastern CT. Best track in the state for actual racing, 3/8 mile and two actual grooves so you can run side-by-side for laps. New owner is pumping a lotttttttttttt of money into the facility this year. Gone are the armco barriers in the corners, replaced with concrete. All new electrical system for the track lights, new scoreboard, an additional pit gate on the exit of 2, and brand new catch fencing all the way around(lets hope its black so you can see through it). Grandstands to be torn down and rebuilt between the '16 and '17 seasons.
The "Speedbowl"! Love the name.

Place looks neat with tons of history. I'll have to read up on this later,
http://speedbowlhistory.com/

Good stuff and glad to see money being pumped into a shorttrack!
Old 18 Mar 2016, 14:15 (Ref:3623866)   #31
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
There's a LOT of races uploaded from the track since 2010-ish.

There's a group of people that handle the tracks media and pump out a ton of videos, at one point they had the full features from every race every week going up. Now it's mainly just a ~20min highlights package every week.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sidsvault

New walls being put in with the new pit gate coming off 2 visible:

Last edited by Matt; 18 Mar 2016 at 14:20.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3623884)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Sweet! I'll have to find some time to watch that doc.
Old 25 Mar 2016, 00:33 (Ref:3626937)   #33
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My son and I went to this 3 or 4 years ago. It was a great show.
At least 18 or more cars in each division which made for
some great racing. If its a nice nite, I imagine I will run out there
and get a dirt fix.

Dixie Spring Championships - All Divisions

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Pit Gate 4pm, Grandstand 5pm Racing 7:30
Grandstand- $15, Ages 9 to 17- $6, 8 and under-Free
Tailgate- $22, Pits- $30
Ages 11 and under $11 for Tailgate and Pits
Old 25 Mar 2016, 01:59 (Ref:3626946)   #34
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
That's temping, canamman. That is Dixie Speedway, correct? It's certainly a dice roll with the weather in the next few weeks.
Old 25 Mar 2016, 09:00 (Ref:3626998)   #35
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
That's temping, canamman. That is Dixie Speedway, correct? It's certainly a dice roll with the weather in the next few weeks.
Yep. http://www.dixiespeedway.com/
Old 26 Mar 2016, 01:54 (Ref:3627365)   #36
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Just saw Todd Gilliland dominate a k&n series race at Irwindale. Todd has 3 wins in 3 starts and is 15! Impressive!

I thought Irwindale was closing for another cali mall. Glad it hasn't seen the wrecking ball yet.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3627372)   #37
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Bear with me for the inevitably long essay post but I haven't had the chance to catch the replies to this thread and my posts in a while, so here goes.

Seldom do you ever see that kind of money, and in turn, sheer amount of improvements being put into pre-existing short tracks in the U.S. of that magnitude and in this day and age. It truly warms my heart to see that coming out of Waterford...and to see that the new owner of the speedway is one who truly cares about local short track racing.

It is good to see that Waterford is now stepping up to par as far as infrastructure is concerned with a select few other local short tracks in New England now, with those being; Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park, Stafford Motor Speedway, Lee USA Speedway and a few others (Perhaps Thunder Road, Seekonk and Oxford Plains). I find myself in recent years under the elitist belief that tracks that witness speeds in excess of 80-100 MPH and are not fully walled in like some of the aforementioned tracks are a lawsuit waiting to happen...and unfortunately that probably applies to a good number of oval tracks here in New England.

Case and point...Star Speedway in Epping, NH which incidentally is but a couple miles down the road from Lee, witnessed two of the most vicious and miraculous accidents that I have ever seen in recent years where a Small Block Supermodified obliterates the front stretch fencing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crru6vUTyJ0 , and a Mini Stock rides the wall until coming in SEVERE contact with jut-out in the wall - https://youtu.be/zxjd1tcwS80?t=28s . And lest I forget when another Small Block Supermodified spun off into the bushes in 2015 and rolled - https://youtu.be/KuxRPuv9L4w?t=12s .

By divine intervention perhaps, nobody was injured at all in that fence crash.

Sure, it may appear that I have a grudge against the track but that is not entirely unjustified. My first ever race that I went to as a child was at Star Speedway in the early early 2000's. A few years after that the upkeep and the cleanliness of the Speedway deteriorated drastically to the point of it becoming a total trash heap, which eventually led me to discovering Lee Speedway in the mid 2000's, it got so bad in late 2009 that Star actually closed for the entirety of the following year, 2010, after the track failed inspection codes multiple times and the former promoter got into a late fees battle with the town committees. I've only gone back to Star once since then. However, in recent years Star Speedway has experienced a large resurgence both in fan interest and promoting/operating power which is really exciting to see...bringing in tons of small business and local sponsors, setting up large special payout races like the SBM 125 (Open Ashpalt Modified Race), the Star Classic (ISMA Supermodifeds) and much more. I may just have to go back there for a race or two this season!

Now to close, racing season is inching ever closer for Lee Speedway with the ACT Late Models coming in approximately 15 days! In my anticipation I was rummaging through my old videos and found this video from 2014 of the Test and Tune day the day before the Governors Cup 150. The cool thing about Lee's ACT test day is that the promoters open up the track to any and all divisions from across New England which gives me the opportunity to see some cars thrash around that I would never be able to see run there otherwise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5bAXGF9CBA .

Do Enjoy the video, and bring on racing season!

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 26 Mar 2016 at 03:59.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3627481)   #38
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Star aint got nothing on Hudson, which is the best/worst track ever.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 19:06 (Ref:3627857)   #39
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Lee's facebook posted a photo of the track all painted and ready to host a racing weekend.

14 Days to go!

Old 28 Mar 2016, 18:54 (Ref:3628128)   #40
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
13 Days to go!

The Day before the Governors Cup, which is the 9th of April, the track will be holding their usual test and tune...open to the ACT Tour, all of Lee USA's regular divisions and any other division that doesn't currently race there regularly (which is really generous and cool). I'll try to make the trip up there with my photo camera and video camera and take some shots if the weather is nice. I'll post them here as soon as I can.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 22:17 (Ref:3628569)   #41
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Nick, you post em and I'll watch them.

Still haven't found time to really dig into some other series. I'm sure there's about a thousand races this weekend all across the country and I'll like see none of em.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 22:25 (Ref:3628572)   #42
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post

Dixie Spring Championships - All Divisions

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Pit Gate 4pm, Grandstand 5pm Racing 7:30
Grandstand- $15, Ages 9 to 17- $6, 8 and under-Free
Tailgate- $22, Pits- $30
Ages 11 and under $11 for Tailgate and Pits
I have this on the schedule (fair weather only) if any of you locals
can make it. Nite time racing that won't interfere with The Masters.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 01:23 (Ref:3630621)   #43
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
The Originally scheduled opening race date has been moved two weeks further into April due to frigid temperatures that are expected to arrive on Sunday, dipping as low as 39 F.

So the Lee Speedway staff have elected to use their rain date instead which will be April 23rd and 24th 2016.

Check out their updated Schedule and information!

Old 15 Apr 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3633126)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Hope the weather cooperates this time for you, Nick.

I watched the K&N / Greenville Pickens race the other night. Good stuff. 16 year old Justin Haley took the win. Throw back track for sure.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 23:49 (Ref:3635559)   #45
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Well, T-2 days and counting until I head down there for Saturday's practice sessions. So far, the weather looks miles better than what it was forecast for the April 10th race. Friday the 22nd will have rain showers throughout the day with a high of 78 F, Saturday with a high of 66 F and total sunshine and Sunday with a high of 55-55 F with total sunshine.

Looking forward to it!

Old 22 Apr 2016, 11:55 (Ref:3635660)   #46
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Forecast sounds similar to what we'll be dealing with at Road Atlanta this weekend. Enjoy the show, Nick! We look forward to a report.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 03:51 (Ref:3635815)   #47
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Tomorrow is the day. Racing at last!

The speedway installed a new LED Scoreboard for the beginning of last year's racing season (2015), and they posted a picture of it today functioning wonderfully.

*EDIT* Forgot to post this from their track staff a few days ago.

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 23 Apr 2016 at 03:56.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 04:45 (Ref:3635817)   #48
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
...who takes a panoramic shot from the middle of the racing surface...jeez that looks bad.
Old 24 Apr 2016, 00:11 (Ref:3635958)   #49
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Saturday was a most BEAUTIFUL day for on-track activity. It was continuously in the upper sixties with a steady breeze that kept you cool with the sun being out so much. I even got a minor sunburn on my forehead and nose.

Here are the RAW pictures that I took today, not exactly the best photos I've ever taken, given that I haven photographed any motorsports events since October.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=8ce9347fc1
Old 25 Apr 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3636297)   #50
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Those Legends car without fenders and non-INEX bodies look dumb as hell.