Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 24 Oct 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3858821)   #76
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting to see this thread being dug up, was only thinking of it the other day. Pretty much given up on F1, occasionally follow WEC and WRC. Still following Supercars and getting back into NASCAR and Indy Cars.

That being said, prefer doing my own thing rather than watching others do it. Test/ride days are fun and made a lot of contacts around the world. That being said, best is running the humble go-kart with my old man and extended family. Just having a good time with mates and loved ones.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3858865)   #77
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

If you don't think so, all well and good, as I say i couldn't give a stuff, but don't have a pop at me for giving the reasons why, even if it attacks your precious loves. Whether you like it or not, they are vaild reasons, you might not like them, but thats your problem, not mine.
Oh no, you don't get away that easily. If you're going to pop up and spout garbage you put yourself fully in the firing line. After all, you do realise this is a forum.......
Old 24 Oct 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3858875)   #78
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Oh no, you don't get away that easily. If you're going to pop up and spout garbage you put yourself fully in the firing line. After all, you do realise this is a forum.......

Exactly, everyone is entitled to opinion, just as much as everyone is entitled to shoot one down
Old 24 Oct 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3858898)   #79
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It's not the ticket prices that are preventing me from visiting the events, what I can't afford is the time to attend so much. I'm no longer a selfish single man who can do as I please, I have a home & family and other commitments too. Plus, I am now too old to send 3 days sleeping in the car following the RAC rally cooking on a camping stove, my body would not cope!

this for me. and not just myself getting older/having more important commitments...its also that my friends are getting older and they also have commitments. everyone is busy and not just for live events but its also harder to find time to get together and watch an event on TV.

as the years have gone on, motorsports (all sports really) has become a very solitary activity for me (one of the reasons i love this place so much). not that i have a problem doing things on my own, its just more fun to do these types of things with your mates.

the irony is also that i have more money now. while that means i can afford to go to whatever i want (after all its my money, i earned it so please dont tell me how to spend it), age has allowed me to realize i really did enjoy things more when i was younger and had less money.

there is an adventure quality about saving money, planning with mates, sharing whatever we could in order to make these trip a reality.

or maybe thats just nostalgia....as you say im pretty sure my back wont let me sleep in a car (or crappy motel) any more either
Old 24 Oct 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3858911)   #80
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If you don't think so, all well and good, as I say i couldn't give a stuff, but don't have a pop at me for giving the reasons why, even if it attacks your precious loves. Whether you like it or not, they are vaild reasons, you might not like them, but thats your problem, not mine.
You're so full of double standard nonsense it's unreal. You brought up other sports, and then tell us we're not allowed to bring it up. You attack others, and then say not to have a pop at you. You have firmly placed yourself above everyone in such a god-complex superior way, that you can't understand why anyone would enjoy these things and have concluded people are stupid and unimaginative to do such things.

******** is all that is. Don't pretend you have the right to free speech (this is an internet forum, you have no rights - only the site owner does), whilst nobody else is allowed that right.

I thought I was grumpy, but man, that's been taken to a new level. As for the happy chappy church group Le Mans threads - you apparently haven't loaded these forums since 1995, because man that forum is argumentative. It's far from a happy group. But you do what you've got to do to feel good about yourself man.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 21:49 (Ref:3858987)   #81
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do have the right to free speech, don't try and tell me otherwise you rather worrying little individual.

As long as I am not being nasty, insulting, deliberately trying to get the rise out of people I am doing nothing wrong.

You seem to appear very touchy about this whole thing, so maybe I have touched a nerve, is this stirring a disappointment in your soul that you have wasted so much time and money over the years?
Or is it simply that I have unearthed a way to specifically annoy you. it is a talent I possess.

If the latter I am rather glad.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 06:24 (Ref:3859026)   #82
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lol free speech on the internet. Yeah...let's see how that works out you...worrying individual?

I've actually spent very little money on motorsport. When F1 went pay to watch, originally I just couldn't afford it. I literally could not watch it. So I found other stuff. Luckily that was the time when ELMS and Blancpain were setting up free services, so I dived into those and never looked back. In terms of my motorsport enjoyment, I actually watch more than I ever have done now, and I spend a lot less than I ever have done.

It seems that, unlike yourself, I have no problem dropping things I don't really like any more. I stopped playing games as they weren't giving me anything anymore. But you know what I didn't do? Hang around games forums telling everyone they were wrong, and that it was better back in the day, and everyone else lacks imagination and I am the true enlightened sane one because I don't enjoy it any more.

As for being touchy - I just have a very limited tolerance for stupid BS. And since you opened the door to this - your posts are filled with that in this thread. You want to be able to compare to other sports, but don't want anyone else to be able to do it because it'd prove you wrong. You claim everyone except you is unimaginative. You claim anyone who enjoys things that you don't isn't sane. And then you say "I'm not doing anything wrong!!!" Sorry if you don't like being called out on that sort of nonsense, but if you're going to basically attack the whole forum by saying they just aren't as enlightened as you because they enjoy things, then don't be surprised when people turn around and say you're talking crap.

I never enjoyed cricket. I think I need to find a cricket forum to tell them how stupid they all are for enjoying it. I'm sure they'll totally listen to me and not ban me because I have free speech. Speaking of free speech, I sense an incoming thread closure.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 25 Oct 2018 at 06:32.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 07:35 (Ref:3859042)   #83
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Annual trek to Silverstone coming up for the Walter Hayes Trophy, surely one of the most entertaining and race fan friendly events. Close on 200 Formula Ford 1600's battling it out over the weekend, as a spectator it's inexpensive and the the cars and drivers are very accessible regrettably the viewing options are somewhat limited but there are strategic spots if you care to look for them.
If this doesn't float your boat then fair enough but I know I'll enjoy it as always. Oh and btw I do enjoy cricket!
Old 25 Oct 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3859106)   #84
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Exactly, everyone is entitled to opinion, just as much as everyone is entitled to shoot one down

Sometimes, however, it's better not to feed trolls*.

*No relevance to this thread or forum, of course!
Old 25 Oct 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3859107)   #85
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I do have the right to free speech, don't try and tell me otherwise you rather worrying little individual.

As long as I am not being nasty, insulting, deliberately trying to get the rise out of people I am doing nothing wrong.

You seem to appear very touchy about this whole thing, so maybe I have touched a nerve, is this stirring a disappointment in your soul that you have wasted so much time and money over the years?
Or is it simply that I have unearthed a way to specifically annoy you. it is a talent I possess.

If the latter I am rather glad.
Actually what you possess is exactly the thing that will bite you in the ass, the ability to get people to understand what rights THEY have and understanding that there are things they can do in response to claims you have made.

Firstly, and most importantly. You may have a right to say anything you want, but with that comes repercussions and responsibilities. One of which is getting your ass banned and censored. Sorry, but site owners get to make the rules and if they were to feel your "opinions" are out of line for the site, they get to remove them or make you sit in the naughty chair.

Second, the ability to say what you like means you also have to accept others can in reply. Something it appears you feel is NOT the case and actually seems like you feel their reply is beneath you. To me it feels like you are stuck in a job you feel is beneath you, in a position where you have little power and you feel you can exercise some here. The power you have here is purely in your mind and vapor. You cannot, no matter how much ranting, dictate others' opinions or desire to spend their cash on whatever trollop they feel is worth their time.

Finally, and the reason you will be on ignore, is you do NOT get to dictate the parameters of discussion. The fact you do not want to have a valid and coherent discussion with others does not mean that is what must be done. Racing, if you want to call is motorsport, must be compared to other sports if you are comparing consumption via radio, telly or in person. You are comparing like methods of consumption, not the event on the field, pitch, track, etc.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3859113)   #86
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Holy moly there's more salt here than the seas, oceans and Siberian mines put together.

Whatever happened to being civil? Thanks to all the posters who hijacked this thread from being a simple discussion of a losing a passion of motorsport to personal slanging matches.

Anywho, I've got a BMW 3 series and Holden Commodore track day projects I need to work on. Anyone seen my 10mm socket?
Old 25 Oct 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3859125)   #87
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i dunno. i think it demonstrates that it’s all in the attitude, and that sometimes you’ve just got to let a sport go and stop whinging about it if it doesn’t grab you any more.

i mean, i struggle to watch an entire football match without a stiff drink nowadays because of all the diving and amateur dramatics, but you don’t see me going to football forums moaning about it.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3859141)   #88
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So Ilovechristiano isn't you then....?

Old 25 Oct 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3859147)   #89
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
alas no, nor is kissmequickgareth
Old 25 Oct 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3859189)   #90
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm pleased to hear it........
Old 26 Oct 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3859283)   #91
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think when you are talking about a sport you have loved since a child, and your love for that sport waning, not because of the drivers and cars, more because of greed, that is why it's tough to let go and also why it is frustrating.

People do get awfully touchy about their precious little passions, me included. But some people can't take it. At all. And some need to understand that strong words are not personal, they are just strong words.
Old 26 Oct 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3859302)   #92
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our glorious English language gives us the means of discussing and debating without the need to be insulting or belittling other participants.
Old 26 Oct 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3859316)   #93
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I think when you are talking about a sport you have loved since a child, and your love for that sport waning, not because of the drivers and cars, more because of greed, that is why it's tough to let go and also why it is frustrating.

People do get awfully touchy about their precious little passions, me included. But some people can't take it. At all. And some need to understand that strong words are not personal, they are just strong words.
It really isn't a problem mate, as long as there's give and take and respect for the opinions of others....
Old 26 Oct 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3859325)   #94
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

You continue to miss what people are annoyed about in this thread. It is not that you have uncovered how they are blinkered and only see a little bit of the sport and don’t consider that they could be wrong with that part.

The people you sweepingly class as unimaginative because they happen to like a part of the sport that you happen to have a problem with aren’t at all. Most in this thread, if not all, aren’t specialists that only like one thing (and if they are so what?).

They also don’t only see the sport in a positive light. Their postings elsewhere show that. Obviously they aren’t as consistently negative about such a range of motorsport as you are, but they can’t be perfect. However they are known to enjoy themselves. Which is a good thing.

If you barrel into a room full of people having a good time and pronounce that they shouldn’t be are you surprised that they might disagree. Although it’s not personal?! You don’t talk about the sport you just say things like you pay too much to see rich people drive round.

Until you can understand other people and what they saying and accept they can like other things to you and potentially until you lose the rich people chip on your shoulder then your not going to go down well.

You will notice that people haven’t really slagged off what you say is better. It’s mainly because they are accepting of what others enjoy. Also they may well enjoy that too.
Old 26 Oct 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3859346)   #95
Columbus
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
Columbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chunder, I feel your pain, I really do.

But if your argument was strong your words wouldn’t need to be.

Aren’t you just frustrated with yourself? You clearly wanted to be part of the elite Goodwood scene, but now you condemn it because your job interview didn’t go to plan. Most of your strong words are aimed the “millionaires” who you say are ruining your sport. You probably wanted to be one of them too.

Don’t delude yourself, car racing has always been a sport for the rich. In the beginning, when only the wealthy could afford road cars, racing was the preserve of the aristocracy. There were more titles than tyres at Brooklands and Le Mans, back in the day. Today, no one cares where your money comes from as long as your stash is big enough - some might argue that’s progress.

So the latest crop of star drivers - Leclerc, Stroll, Norris, Russell - all come from multi-millionaire families and all the gentlemen sportscar and historic racers are loaded. What’s new? Nothing. Hunt, Lauda, Piquet, Senna and the rest wouldn’t have made either without millionaire parents and benefactors.

You’ve only got one life, you shouldn’t waste any of it on something that makes you unhappy. If you are losing the passion for motorsport, find a sport that you don’t think is ruined, or only enjoyed by the unimaginative.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3859406)   #96
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Losing the passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

Anywho, I've got a BMW 3 series and Holden Commodore track day projects I need to work on. Anyone seen my 10mm socket?

The laws of the universe state that you’ll find it only after you’ve brought a new one haha. And when you have a spare one you won’t be able to find either one. Good luck with the track cars. I’d love to build up something for the weekend but as always money dictates.

I’ve lost a bit of passion over the last few years but I’m getting it back by following people in club racing that I’ve befriended. It’s not F1 but I enjoy following their journey and sharing the highs and lows with them.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3859421)   #97
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I’ve lost a bit of passion over the last few years but I’m getting it back by following people in club racing that I’ve befriended. It’s not F1 but I enjoy following their journey and sharing the highs and lows with them.
this is how to do it. empathy is a key part of motorsport for a lot of people, as demonstrated by fierce opinions about f1 drivers. but when that sport and many other series let their professionalism get in the way of the connection to fans it’s hard to establish that bond with a favoured competitor. granted, it’s getting better with social media engagement and that, but it’s still tricky. it’s far easier when you can potter around a paddock, and get chatting to the bloke racing a car you really like for whatever reason.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 12:07 (Ref:3859426)   #98
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I completely agree. I spent a day with my son at Donington a few weeks ago with the National Motorsport Academy in their garage with their Mosler. It was a very quiet meeting with just a handful of spectators, but it was great to feel 'involved' (even if I was only watching) with a team, car and driver to support. That and the free lunch sitting next to a rather portly bloke who's famous for being a baker on the tele......
Old 27 Oct 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3859445)   #99
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
ayse, i was working at that event too. they’re good little meetings - nice bits of kit on display being raced with a not-ridiculous budget and at sensible circuits, and with some good variety in the support series. so really, the first thing a lot of people who feel disillusioned with the bigger events should be considering attending. the grid sizes have been all over the place this season though.

happy clappy stuff over, and a lot of more political things in the sport irritate me, and to continue to forgive the sport and make a living from it i do have to put those things in the blind spot. the terrible pay for a lot of people who are expected to do it for the “love” of the sport, some of the bizarre nonsense that msv come up with. the way series continue to make their product more and more expensive despite every single competitor pleading for it to be more affordable. i just remember that ultimately, everyone’s doing it for that bit between the green flag and the chequered flag.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3859446)   #100
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well said indeed. It's a shame I didn't know you were there, it would have been nice to say hello and introduce you to my motor racing mad son, who has been spannering for Balfe recently and spends most of his time on McLaren sportscars.....