Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Apr 2010, 00:34 (Ref:2669194)   #1
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could Ferrari's new 599 GTO be heading to the track?

Perhaps I'm thinking too far into things, but Ferrari has just unveiled it's new highest-performing road going car of all time, a hotted up version of the 599 bearing the GTO badge. As we all know, the original GTO has it's place in racing history, and there is already a track only version of this car (which is even more extreme) called the 599XX. Might Ferrari be looking at a full blown race version of the 599 with this GTO being the homologation car?

Perhaps something for the FIA GT1 once the Maserati MC12 is no longer eligible?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/08/b...ance/#comments

And this is the first Ferrari since the 355 of the mid 1990s that I've thought looked absolutely fantastic!
Old 9 Apr 2010, 00:41 (Ref:2669195)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldnt think so .

Because .... this is my theory .

The F430 will be replaced in GT2 with the F458 ..... and Ferrari will then go P1 or P2 racing with Salo-Gene-Fischicella-Bruni-Melo-Alesi and will have a customer team with Nigel Mansell .

You guys think this is a mad idea .

Madder things have happened .....
Old 9 Apr 2010, 02:12 (Ref:2669214)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Would the cost be worth building a GT1 with a good GT2 platform that has much more sales appeal with more series to run it in?
Old 9 Apr 2010, 02:25 (Ref:2669216)   #4
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Would the cost be worth building a GT1 with a good GT2 platform that has much more sales appeal with more series to run it in?
That pretty much seals the deal, I'd say.
GT1 pretty much allows them to sell *at most* four cars. Whereas in GT2, if they have as many repeat customers...
Old 9 Apr 2010, 02:43 (Ref:2669219)   #5
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it depends on how successful the new World GT1 Championship is.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 02:45 (Ref:2669221)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ferrari really needs some sports car above the 430 / 458. If it's not a sports prototype, then be it the 599 in either GT1 or GT2.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 03:32 (Ref:2669229)   #7
skeeskirrt
Racer

United States
Boney Mountain
skeeskirrt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe in private hands, or in a non-factory WGT1.

GT2 has been a bit of a bread and butter (petty cash) for Ferrari, not to mention a success (ala Risi dominance in enduros), so I doubt they will depart from that. I think the 458 is lined up nicely for GT2.

Plus, didn't the ACO recently come out and imply that GT2 is the new premier GT class? And wasn't there some talk/articles about McLaren (or was it Mercedes?) wanting to race Ferrari in sports cars? And most seemed to think that GT2 was the venue for this match-up?
Old 9 Apr 2010, 04:08 (Ref:2669233)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Sales appeal ..... who needs that when you have a bunch of collectors lining up for a Ferreri with race pedigree !!!

Remember ..... Moretti put enough pressure on Ferrari to do the 333SP project .

Ferrari have just realised imo , how much money they can generate from a decent GT2 line with the 430 ..... why not do the it with a P class ..... they will sell .
Old 9 Apr 2010, 04:51 (Ref:2669242)   #9
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Rumour has it that Vitaphone have approached Micholetto to do a design study for a 599 GT1. Whether anything comes of that is another thing but the MC12 will soon be out of the category and if Vitaphone stay what will they race?

Prodrive did an awesome job with the 550 and that was a private effort. I cant see them doing it again with Aston Martin still in GT1 but if someone came to Ferrari with enough money then it would happen.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 06:53 (Ref:2669270)   #10
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car was at Nurburgring during the VLN pre-season test (20/03):

Video
Old 9 Apr 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2669415)   #11
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think it will be economicly viable for ferrari to built a WCgt1 race car, as there isn't enough of a market in wcgt1 cars!
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 9 Apr 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2669554)   #12
SimonXS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth UK
SimonXS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I deffinately think they'll come in with a GT2 Entry, same as McLaren... Which would be quite frankly EPIC!
GT1 seems almost redundant, and too expensive to develop cars for.
GT2 is the catagory of choice, We'd have BMW, Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren (Potentially), Aston, Spyker... and this list could expand!
Old 9 Apr 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2669659)   #13
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeskirrt View Post
Maybe in private hands, or in a non-factory WGT1.

GT2 has been a bit of a bread and butter (petty cash) for Ferrari, not to mention a success (ala Risi dominance in enduros), so I doubt they will depart from that. I think the 458 is lined up nicely for GT2.

Plus, didn't the ACO recently come out and imply that GT2 is the new premier GT class? And wasn't there some talk/articles about McLaren (or was it Mercedes?) wanting to race Ferrari in sports cars? And most seemed to think that GT2 was the venue for this match-up?
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Ferrari are enjoying a fine time in GT2 at the moment, and with the [potential] arrival of rivals McLaren in the category, why would they wish to race elsewhere?

Ferrari also made it perfectly clear that they weren't going to support any potential Ferrari entry in the World GT1 Championship themselves.

I don't think we'll ever see the 599 hit the track.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2670859)   #14
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I wouldnt think so .

Because .... this is my theory .

The F430 will be replaced in GT2 with the F458 ..... and Ferrari will then go P1 or P2 racing with Salo-Gene-Fischicella-Bruni-Melo-Alesi and will have a customer team with Nigel Mansell .

You guys think this is a mad idea .

Madder things have happened .....
That would be somewhat awesome
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 23 Apr 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2678693)   #15
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little OT, but a F599xx (driver De Simone) record at Nurb 6' 58:

rw.it

Video
Old 26 Apr 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2679907)   #16
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maserati GranTurismo GT1 would be more up Vitaphones street
Old 27 Apr 2010, 00:38 (Ref:2680246)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Yes it would but would it be fast enough? Could they get enough power and reliably from that V8 (with restrictors) to be at the pointy end where Vitaphone want to be? I'd like to see it happen, the Granturismo is a beautiful car.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 04:18 (Ref:2680296)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
They'd have to put a non-production engine in the GranTurismo to be competitive in all likelihood, and on top of that, technically, the production engine is too small under current GT1 regulations.

Sorry, but the 599 GTO is a better looker than the GranTurismo, and I like Maserati because they're not the obvious Italian manufacturer (Ferrari is, of course), sort of the underdog thing. However, the Afla Romeo 8C looks better than either the GT or the new GTO.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2680336)   #19
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
However, the Afla Romeo 8C looks better than either the GT or the new GTO.
Indeed, there's very few things ever better looking than that Alfa in my opinion. However, it was only a limited run thing I believe and is unlikely to meet any necessary homologation figures.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 02:11 (Ref:2680878)   #20
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Well there was rumours of an 8C GT3 to be raced this year but I havent seen anything yet.........
Old 28 Apr 2010, 03:06 (Ref:2680884)   #21
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Maserati built 50 MC12s, plus 12 Competizione models and 15 Corsa models.

Alfa has built 500 of the 8C coupes, and then there's the production run of spyders on top of that.