Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Dec 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1480593)   #1
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash Helmets for Marshal's Track Days

Can anyone advise me what standard of crash helmet I need for the Marshal's Track Days if I chose to get my own? Does it need to have an MSA approved sticker already, or can it be scruitineered and given a sticker on the day? Also, will the cars be scruitineered at all, and do we need to do anything like tape over lights to get them approved?
Old 9 Dec 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1480597)   #2
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRedButton
Can anyone advise me what standard of crash helmet I need for the Marshal's Track Days if I chose to get my own? Does it need to have an MSA approved sticker already, or can it be scruitineered and given a sticker on the day? Also, will the cars be scruitineered at all, and do we need to do anything like tape over lights to get them approved?
From the Oulton day, 'road legal' bike helmets were ok, no stickers required. Cars were noise level checked at 'max' revs, nothing else - can't remember what the limit was though. One BIG thing to remember if you're driving your pride and joy is how hard track driving is on them - 3 laps of Oulton Park long circuit (an out, fast, and in) was plenty for my Focus - it was popping and banging like a good'un afterwards. Oh, and don't put your handbrake on when you come back in - leave the car on level ground, in gear - otherwise you'll possibly weld your pads to the discs!
Old 9 Dec 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1480604)   #3
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No-one looked at the lid I had, or have at any of the track days.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1480637)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
From the Oulton day, 'road legal' bike helmets were ok, no stickers required.
I used my bike helmet, but nobody checked it!

Quote:
Cars were noise level checked at 'max' revs, nothing else - can't remember what the limit was though.
Not max revs......I was asked what the redline was, & the test was done at an appropriate engine speed. In my case, with a redline at 7,000, the test was done at 5,200.

Quote:
One BIG thing to remember if you're driving your pride and joy is how hard track driving is on them - 3 laps of Oulton Park long circuit (an out, fast, and in) was plenty for my Focus - it was popping and banging like a good'un afterwards.
My Alfa's much the better for a good thrashing.....never run better! A classic example of the benefits of what the Americans call an 'Italian tune-up'!

Quote:
Oh, and don't put your handbrake on when you come back in - leave the car on level ground, in gear - otherwise you'll possibly weld your pads to the discs!
I don't think you need worry about 'welding' the pads to the discs; there is a small possibility of boiling the fluid or of warping the discs, but by absolute standards you aren't going to get the discs very hot on a road car at track day speeds - 'hot' is when the discs are glowing red!
Old 9 Dec 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1480657)   #5
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Brands noise testing is done on a drive by at various points on the circuits ( to save track time) and if over, done static at 3/4 max rpm and from memory the limit is 105dBa ie Blue Book. We don't go out of our way to check eligablity of helmets, but we do when we check wristbands and as long as it is road or race legal it is allowed. Taping lights is recommended but lights unless told otherwise should be off. Long sleeved tops are also recommended. No handheld items in car ie cameras, phones, sandwiches ( It has happened) and no timing
Old 9 Dec 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1480738)   #6
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
From the Oulton day, 'road legal' bike helmets were ok, no stickers required. Cars were noise level checked at 'max' revs, nothing else - can't remember what the limit was though. One BIG thing to remember if you're driving your pride and joy is how hard track driving is on them - 3 laps of Oulton Park long circuit (an out, fast, and in) was plenty for my Focus - it was popping and banging like a good'un afterwards. Oh, and don't put your handbrake on when you come back in - leave the car on level ground, in gear - otherwise you'll possibly weld your pads to the discs!
Quite simply from one who has been on Circuits for longer than I wish to remember; use the Chequered Flag lap as it should be - a cooling-down lap, and you should have no problem. One thing my sharp-shooting friend did not mention - Fuel. One gets through a hell of a lot on Track Hires; none of this 40plus mpg!! If you run out on Circuit, do NOT expect any sympathy from the Organisers, especially if you cause a red-flag stoppage!!
Old 9 Dec 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1480851)   #7
alec
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheltenham
alec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've hired a helmet each time i've been to MSV. They're not terribly good, but a tenner deposit is better than spending £250 odd for a one off.
I'd recommend taking advantage of the EBC 50% off offer and getting some greenstuff front brakepads fitted.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1481081)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You really don't have to spend 250 quid on a helmet. Prices start at about £75 for something that would be legal for racing. The "OMP Intergrale" is one example. If you wnat to do several track days then it may well be worth the investment. Typical places to get one from:

Rally Design - have always been cheap
Demon Tweeks (may get a discount)
Merlin Motorsport

Dan
Old 10 Dec 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1481279)   #9
alec
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheltenham
alec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the cheap helmets i've used have been just that. Cheap. Uncomfortable, almost to the point of being painful. if you're going to be using it regularly, then spend as much as you can.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1481351)   #10
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with that. But if you spend money, you'll almost certainly be spending more than the track day company did on theirs..