Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Sep 2006, 03:39 (Ref:1726564)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where are Brock's Race cars?

We would all know by know V8SA's decision to hold a "Lap Of Honour" at Bathurst this year to remember Peter Brock. They want to get as many of Brock's previous winning cars (or general cars he raced at Bathurst) and run them with various co-drivers. So does anyone know the whereabouts of some of these cars? I know the '79 A9X is privately owned, and the '84 and possibly '87 cars are in the museum at Murray's. Any ideas where the others are?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 Sep 2006, 04:44 (Ref:1726565)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the '73 is at the Museum in Phillip Island and will be demonstrated this weekend at the bikes... as far as i know..
Old 16 Sep 2006, 05:01 (Ref:1726566)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think its Wayne Park that owns the 2003 Monaro.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 05:57 (Ref:1726567)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
We would all know by know V8SA's decision to hold a "Lap Of Honour" at Bathurst this year to remember Peter Brock. They want to get as many of Brock's previous winning cars (or general cars he raced at Bathurst) and run them with various co-drivers. So does anyone know the whereabouts of some of these cars? I know the '79 A9X is privately owned, and the '84 and possibly '87 cars are in the museum at Murray's. Any ideas where the others are?
-'72 winner is around, was at the Torana Nationals at Norwell a few years back
-'75 winner was written off in a road accident years after
-'78 & '79 winning Torana's are owned by Bowden's
-'80 winner is in private hands, and according to an AMC letter from the owner a few years ago was being restored
-'82 winner & '83 winner (same car) is still about, though interestingly with the '82 paintscheme on the '83 body design/aerokit
-'84 winner (according to Brock himself) is with Peter Champion, with the #25 car at the Bathurst museum (though numbered as #05), many quarters claim that it is the other way around though.
-'87 winner is with Bowden's
Old 16 Sep 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1726568)   #5
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
I think its Wayne Park that owns the 2003 Monaro.
Rob Sherrard owns the Monaro,along with a few other rare beasts.

Who owns the 2002 Motorola Team Brock machine?
Old 16 Sep 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1726569)   #6
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dunno... Did anyone see the Sports Tonight report about the revhead get together at Tweed Heads? They had
  • The '72 Brock XU1
  • The '84 Brock VK Commodore
  • The '92 Brock VP Commodore
  • The '87 Brock VL Commodore
  • The '02 Brock VX Commodore
And they might have had a few more, but I didn't catch them.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 16 Sep 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1726570)   #7
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Champion from Blackwater owns the 02 Commodore.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 01:02 (Ref:1726571)   #8
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A large number of them were at Speed on Tweed on the weekend.

Including quite a few of the torana's, the 'day glo' commodore, the (Repco Round Australia Car), the Black Team Brock v8 Supercar and the 'Mongrel' Monaro. (Don't know if they were originals or not...)

As a sad side note the replica A30 was started up on saturday morning and went up in flames.... :-( Fairly extensive damage but not a write off, I imagine somone will be failry busy between now and bathurst rebuilding it.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 00:43 (Ref:1726572)   #9
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst these are not Bathurst winners, they are Brock's Bathurst cars:

1. What happened to the 1996 #05 Volvo 850 (yes, i know he didnt actually drive it at bathurst though)? I know it became Jim Richard's car the following season, and for Bathurst 1997 became the 2nd team volvo (#8), and i guess when back to europe after that, but where is it/who has it now?

2. The Vectra that PB shred with Derek Warick at bathurst 1997, a 888 car, again, would have gone back to europe i guess, but can anyone confirm this/where is it now?

3. Peter's 2004 car that Plato unceremoniously destroyed in the chase. Too damaged for the following round at indy for Skaife to use, (he had to return to 'the golden child'), but i assume was repaird and put into use again. Didnt this become one of the HSVDT cars last year? and where does it sit in the TWPG heirachy of chassis now?

Mitch
Old 19 Sep 2006, 02:08 (Ref:1726573)   #10
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Kart
Whilst these are not Bathurst winners, they are Brock's Bathurst cars:

1. What happened to the 1996 #05 Volvo 850 (yes, i know he didnt actually drive it at bathurst though)? I know it became Jim Richard's car the following season, and for Bathurst 1997 became the 2nd team volvo (#8), and i guess when back to europe after that, but where is it/who has it now?

Mitch
At leass 2 of the Volvo cars are still in Australia, one S40 and one 850. In Melbourne. Don't know if the 850 was thae same one.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 02:54 (Ref:1726574)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you will find the 850 that is still here is actually a show car

In the outside shots of the funeral, was it an '86 VK in MHDT colours sitting outside the service, next to the dayglo '84 MHDT VK ?? It was in the shadows and difficult to see on my 2" screen...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Sep 2006, 04:21 (Ref:1726575)   #12
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Ahh Ok, the S40 was ex Rydell and then Richards IIRC
There is also the 850R Proddie, shared with Tony Scott, that now occassionally races IP. No longer in Tripple M colours, though.

Last edited by John Turner; 3 Oct 2006 at 16:57.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 04:40 (Ref:1726576)   #13
gkmarshall
Racer

gkmarshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as i know the 04 Brock/Plato car is in the hands of Tony D'Alberto & the second team car is the 04 kmart (spiderman) Bathurst winner
Old 19 Sep 2006, 06:50 (Ref:1726577)   #14
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

In the outside shots of the funeral, was it an '86 VK in MHDT colours sitting outside the service, next to the dayglo '84 MHDT VK ?? It was in the shadows and difficult to see on my 2" screen...
They were shots from the Bathurst memorial I think....

1972 - 28c Torana GTRXU1
1984 - 05 VK (GpC)
1985/6 - 05 VK (GpA)
Old 19 Sep 2006, 07:32 (Ref:1726578)   #15
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
The '84, '86, and '72 cars were there today, and I think one of the Volvos was in the Museum.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1726579)   #16
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmarshall
As far as i know the 04 Brock/Plato car is in the hands of Tony D'Alberto & the second team car is the 04 kmart (spiderman) Bathurst winner
Ahh ok, I forgot the Tony got a new ar for this year and Mark McNally(?) has the spiderman car now. thanks for refeshing the memory.

What HRT chassis # is the 05 Brock/Plato car (D'Alberto's current ride)?
Old 19 Sep 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1726580)   #17
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
They were shots from the Bathurst memorial I think....

1972 - 28c Torana GTRXU1
1984 - 05 VK (GpC)
1985/6 - 05 VK (GpA)
The VK is my mates rally car that I did the signwriting on as a copy of the GpA car.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 19 Sep 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1726581)   #18
86VK
Rookie

86VK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
The '84, '86, and '72 cars were there today, and I think one of the Volvos was in the Museum.
The 85 car was running around as a 'walkinshaw' and after a number of prangs creasing the floor is basically worthless. My understanding of the 86 car owned by Peter Champion is that was one of the Spa 24 hr cars. The 86 Bathurst car is owned by my mate and I, and sits in his garage. It was converted in 87 to a VL and raced by Brock in the opening rounds, then Sandown by Crompton, then was the display car at Bathurst that year. We had decided to convert it back to as raced by Brock and Moffat but haven't gotten around to it yet. He had autographed the transmission tunnel in the interior and we were going to just get him to redo it once we had finished. Lucky we hadn't stripped it yet.... We had also decided that after we convert it we will sell it but will now delay that as we would be accused of 'cashing in' on the great man.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1726582)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86VK
The 85 car was running around as a 'walkinshaw' and after a number of prangs creasing the floor is basically worthless. My understanding of the 86 car owned by Peter Champion is that was one of the Spa 24 hr cars. The 86 Bathurst car is owned by my mate and I, and sits in his garage. It was converted in 87 to a VL and raced by Brock in the opening rounds, then Sandown by Crompton, then was the display car at Bathurst that year. We had decided to convert it back to as raced by Brock and Moffat but haven't gotten around to it yet. He had autographed the transmission tunnel in the interior and we were going to just get him to redo it once we had finished. Lucky we hadn't stripped it yet.... We had also decided that after we convert it we will sell it but will now delay that as we would be accused of 'cashing in' on the great man.
As pretty as the '87 VL was, the original '86 VK has plenty of history too... with Brock and Moffat in the seat.. the crash at Skyline, and the oil cooler breaking over the pitlane speed bumps.... the car may not have been successful in outright terms, but it was the last of the factory Holden Dealer Team cars....

Am I right in thinking this was the same chassis Barry Lake test drove in mid 1986 for Modern Motor??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Sep 2006, 23:36 (Ref:1726583)   #20
gkmarshall
Racer

gkmarshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 72 Bathurst winner, the Torana XU1 going around now is that a replica or the real deal, just looked @ ebay this guy is selling what he says is the rear left hand quarter panel the only part left of the 72 winner, he says this car was destroyed in QLD & was bought back to Melbourne to be stripped & then cut up for scrap.
He also says it's not colin bonds panel. It's Item No 13002641705
I'm confused, it looks real but don't know if it is, it's before my time.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 02:46 (Ref:1726584)   #21
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, the 28C car running around is a replica.

A guy in newcastle only recently finished a replica of his 75 car too. I hope both can take part in the parade lap in October.

Also, hoping they see past their own ego's to let the Mongrel take part.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 03:14 (Ref:1726585)   #22
Techo
Racer

Techo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
-'72 winner is around, was at the Torana Nationals at Norwell a few years back
-'75 winner was written off in a road accident years after
-'78 & '79 winning Torana's are owned by Bowden's
-'80 winner is in private hands, and according to an AMC letter from the owner a few years ago was being restored
-'82 winner & '83 winner (same car) is still about, though interestingly with the '82 paintscheme on the '83 body design/aerokit
-'84 winner (according to Brock himself) is with Peter Champion, with the #25 car at the Bathurst museum (though numbered as #05), many quarters claim that it is the other way around though.
-'87 winner is with Bowden's
'75 winner was written off in a road accident years after
???????????
Does anyone know who owned the car when the accident happen ?
And if there is any of the wreakage left, that could be used for a major resortation of the orginal chassis ?
Old 20 Sep 2006, 05:26 (Ref:1726586)   #23
Techo
Racer

Techo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathrust car 75' ?fixed? I've been told the 75' car is in victoria
Old 20 Sep 2006, 06:13 (Ref:1726587)   #24
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Kart
What HRT chassis # is the 05 Brock/Plato car (D'Alberto's current ride)?
HRT chassis # 048 if I'm not mistaken, and I think it was raced by Garth Tander last year.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 06:44 (Ref:1726588)   #25
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
So are V8SA going to look for the real cars, or will they settle for replicas?