Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3143238)   #51
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Silverstone in April? Hard to decide whether to bring snowshoes, rubber waders, or cleated boots to climb through deep mud.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3143251)   #52
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Why is the April dat at Silverstone so bad? I guess that it's meant to be far from the F1 Grand Prix (July) and the MotoGP race (September).
Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:28 (Ref:3143254)   #53
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Silverstone in April? Hard to decide whether to bring snowshoes, rubber waders, or cleated boots to climb through deep mud.
To be fair if it's anything like the last couple of years April might offer the best chance for something akin to summer in the UK - no guarantees obviously but remember this year in August what we might have had to put up with if the race had been 24 hours earlier...

My main issue with April isn't the weather, it's the squandering of the last 8 years of 'conditioning' that's started to build an awareness that late summer brings sports cars to the UK.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3143257)   #54
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Agreed, far from ideal. I believe GP2 were there on the equivalent weekend this year, so it's not unprecedented.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3143266)   #55
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
To be fair if it's anything like the last couple of years April might offer the best chance for something akin to summer in the UK - no guarantees obviously but remember this year in August what we might have had to put up with if the race had been 24 hours earlier...

My main issue with April isn't the weather, it's the squandering of the last 8 years of 'conditioning' that's started to build an awareness that late summer brings sports cars to the UK.
Unless it's F1, it's not a clever move. I though this year over the Bank Holiday weekend worked well - and could become a tradition. So they move it to April......look what happened to RallyGB the 3 times it ran in September.....
Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3143277)   #56
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At first glance the schedule is a bit 'meh' in terms of excitement. Still not sure about Silverstone in April, even if it makes it easier to attend.

On closer inspection I think they are right not to bite off more than they can chew. 10 rounds with more flyaway's might have been too much for a field which will be fairly similar to this year. A Silverstone start should ensure more entries, especially if it is joint (on track please) with the ELMS.

Sebring was never going to happen but teams can go if they want. Fair enough. Double-header in Austin is a decent compromise. I don't think 10 rounds are necessary at this stage.

Above all the calendar is out nice and early. Teams and partners can see what they need to prepare for. Flyaway issues should be reduced. I don't think we can complain really.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3143278)   #57
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
A Silverstone start should ensure more entries, especially if it is joint (on track please) with the ELMS.
It's not, the ELMS race will be seperate, presumably to be held on the Saturday.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3143279)   #58
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
EDIT: Never mind, same thing said earlier.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3143281)   #59
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is about what I expected. I am definitely counting on too many extra entries to Sebring, but I need to consider heading west to Austin come in Sept. Well, that may too close to PLM time...
Old 28 Sep 2012, 16:14 (Ref:3143288)   #60
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Austin double header ALMS/WEC in September - I will have to go to that one, looks like possibly my only chance. Glad it will be both series in the same weekend, makes it alot more worthwhile trip. This gives me a year to talk the wife into it...
Old 28 Sep 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3143297)   #61
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone in April ? Does an Americas Cup Yacht suit into the new regulations for 2014 ?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 18:07 (Ref:3143354)   #62
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
In http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102932 a reason is given why Sebring has lost its spot in the WEC schedule.
Quote:
WEC chief Gerard Neveu said Sebring was dropped so that all the WEC's non-European rounds took place after the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2013, and because of fears a joint WEC/ALMS entry would be impossible to accommodate.

"Imagine if we had 32 or 34 WEC cars and 35 in the ALMS," Neveu said. "It would be difficult to tell people that there was not room for everyone."
Old 28 Sep 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3143364)   #63
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no joined events then, thats a relief. hope it stays that way. There is no point spoiling the quality grid of the wec.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3143366)   #64
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Indeed. Sebring 2012 was a mess with its 9 classes: LMP1, LMP2, GTEPro, GTEAm, P1, P2, PC, GT, GTC.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3143367)   #65
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
no joined events then, thats a relief. hope it stays that way. There is no point spoiling the quality grid of the wec.
Although the WEC GT field could do with the ALMS GT cars doing both races on the joint weekend... the WEC GT field has quality, the ALMS GT field has both quality and quantity.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3143380)   #66
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
So there's still a possibility that bigger teams could go and do Sebring. Toyota and Audi would be wise to do this, double exposure in the US wouldn't hurt any. maybe Aston Martin and Rebellion will follow.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3143396)   #67
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was looking at the 2008 ELMS schedule:

Catalunya, April 6
Monza, April 27
Spa, May 11
Nurburgring, August 17
Silverstone, September 14

Obviously Le Mans was in June. I'd like to see Bahrain or a better Middle East circuit to open, then those European races, minus Catalunya, with Nurburgring and Silverstone brought forward a month each, then the America's races, then China and Japan. 10 races, bases covered, sensible dates, everyones a winner.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3143400)   #68
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
So there's still a possibility that bigger teams could go and do Sebring. Toyota and Audi would be wise to do this, double exposure in the US wouldn't hurt any. maybe Aston Martin and Rebellion will follow.
Audi always run test sessions at Sebring so I think they will be there next year.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3143407)   #69
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
In http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102932 a reason is given why Sebring has lost its spot in the WEC schedule.
Field size certainly is a valid concern. Will be interesting to see how many teams still come over for Sebring though. There are four weeks between Sebring and Silverstone, which leaves time for shipping by sea, which certainly is a plus.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3143410)   #70
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Haven't teams tested at Sebring and not actually run the 12 hours before? Not a lock by any means...
Old 28 Sep 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3143411)   #71
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi did in 2010.

They tested the very next day (or Monday, can't remember), because Peugeot protested that their cars were illegal.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 06:24 (Ref:3143569)   #72
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Audi did in 2010.

They tested the very next day (or Monday, can't remember), because Peugeot protested that their cars were illegal.
I don't think that was the reason...
Old 29 Sep 2012, 07:18 (Ref:3143580)   #73
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post

I see what you mean there, though I guess there is a reasonably long tradition of an early-season sportscar race at Silverstone- the Silverstone FIA GT round was normally May/June, and back in the 'old' WEC days with Group C, IIRC Silverstone always used to be in May- the 'last race before Le Mans' slot that Spa now has.

As you say though, the ACO race has been traditionally August/September over the last 8 years, and I'd guess these days more people are aware of Silverstone in late summer than remember a Silverstone as the Le Mans 'curtain-raiser' back in the 80's..
Old 29 Sep 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3143602)   #74
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So only F1-circuits accept for La Sarthe with the two worst ones (together with Hockenheim) ending the season. For spectator numbers, wouldn't it be better to go to places were they aren't spoiled with big motorsport events?

Also, from a personal standpoint, I'm not thrilled to watch endurance racing on bland Tilkedromes.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 08:57 (Ref:3143616)   #75
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I see what you mean there, though I guess there is a reasonably long tradition of an early-season sportscar race at Silverstone- the Silverstone FIA GT round was normally May/June, and back in the 'old' WEC days with Group C, IIRC Silverstone always used to be in May- the 'last race before Le Mans' slot that Spa now has.

As you say though, the ACO race has been traditionally August/September over the last 8 years, and I'd guess these days more people are aware of Silverstone in late summer than remember a Silverstone as the Le Mans 'curtain-raiser' back in the 80's..
I'll allow the early season Silverstone tradition if the WEC will compromise and let there be a September race at Brands Hatch...