Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:15 (Ref:577377)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
New McLaren car - too late?

With McLaren talking about rounds 8-11 for the introduction of the new car, that only leaves 8 - 5 races for the new car to race.
Is it just me or does that seem a bit bonkers?

Why don't they just forget the new car altogether and scrap the 18, and make the 19 come out for Melbourne next year?

Secondly should this be allowed?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:23 (Ref:577403)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's to say they won't wait until rounds 8-11 next season before introducing a new car?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:29 (Ref:577420)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: New McLaren car - too late?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Secondly should this be allowed?
Firstly yes! Yes and yes. They can do what they want. If they want to race last years car then that's there business/problem!

With regulations that hardly change from one season to the next car evolution can be more steady, considered and perhaps result in greater yield. It doesn't have to be forced. A new car comes along when there are definite gains to be made, not because it is March.

There is nothing in the rulebook or in the laws of physics and automotive mechanics that says a race car's useful lifetime is 12 months. Perhaps more, perhaps less (and the need to introduce a new car quicker).

I would personally prefer each team to introduce cars when they are good and ready rather than rush it in. Of course most new cars will come at the beginning of the season because they have had most dedicated time before than due to the break from racing. However with separate dedicated test teams I feel this is now even less of an issue.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:33 (Ref:577437)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Lotus squeeze about 3 and a half seasons out of the 72?

Indeed, a well-sorted chassis that you know how to set up is often worth more than the hottest new ticket on the grid.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:54 (Ref:577487)   #5
astralit
Rookie

astralit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what they are doing makes a lotta sense. If they are sure the car will be fast by then, means they could basically use the new car half of this season and all of next season. Which means they can have a very reliable car.

But i dont think it should be allowed. teams should be told to use the model they came with in the 1st round. while williams and other teams get only a few months to produce their new cars, mclaren almost gets a whole year worth of time to produce it and test it in-house.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 23:02 (Ref:577502)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Bah, of course it should be allowed, astralit! The other teams can adopt the same strategy if they want!

Even in NASCAR you're allowed to make major changes to the chassis from race to race.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 23:04 (Ref:577508)   #7
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by astralit
while williams and other teams get only a few months to produce their new cars, mclaren almost gets a whole year worth of time to produce it and test it in-house.
They made that choice, it's not gaining an advantage through subversive and underhand tactics.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 23:09 (Ref:577517)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I really don't see what the month or year has to do with the introduction of a new car. A new car should introduced when it is ready, and when the old car is past its use-by date. Why should a new car be introduced at any specific date?
I also think the mooting of cutting out drivers' aids by Silverstone and then the changing of this intent has more or less affected McLaren's line of development of the new car.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 00:03 (Ref:577543)   #9
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have reliability right now.....the new Ferrari 2003 ...might not be reliable,,,they might have rushed ussing it to neat the Mac's...They are waiting until they are ready....and it might be the right thing to do....
Old 23 Apr 2003, 04:54 (Ref:577612)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Am I the only one here that things this topic is insane? (No offence Monster).

Almost all the cars evolve from one GP to the next. There is no new car. It's just the name of the car that changes.

McLaren could call the car they have now the new one. Then when the 'other new one' comes out it's an improved version.

In theory, is'nt the Williams just an evolved version of the 2000 car?

If they came up with some really neat idea, do you really think they would save it to the next model.

Who cares? I think the only difference here is the name of the car.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 09:00 (Ref:577768)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Am I the only one here that things this topic is insane? (No offence Monster).

....and how do you think most of the discussions here are generated?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 09:32 (Ref:577792)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I was just asking a question to see what people thought, dudes.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 09:34 (Ref:577793)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i thought new car launches were only too keep steve ryder in a job?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 09:50 (Ref:577807)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Macaroon M23 went for three seasons and won a WDC in its first and last.

I think the point about rules stability is quite valid. We haven't had a period of stability since the early/mid seventies and its not only the rules which cause the changes.

In 78 we were mostly using Cosworth V8 so there was engine stability and then Chapman "invented" ground effects and all of a sudden new cars were coming from all directions.

In 79 Renault arrived with its turbo and although the regs weren't changed the cars had to.

Mid eighties broutght in flat bottoms but the turbo's were still around.

Then we went to flat bottoms and 3.5 litre engines of any configuration.

Then we got a V10 3.0l formula with "the plank".

Then we get grooved tyres and reduced width.

And that's where we've been for three years. Consequently the need for a totally new car every year is reduced.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:33 (Ref:578031)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
I was just asking a question to see what people thought, dudes.
Not a problem mate, I should have worded my post more carefully. It's not that you started the topic (as it is being discussed by many), I disagree with the subject matter.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:34 (Ref:578032)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Then we got a V10 3.0l formula with "the plank".

Then we get grooved tyres and reduced width.

And that's where we've been for three years. Consequently the need for a totally new car every year is reduced.
5, actually. Bleh, those last two still make me ill.
Old 23 Apr 2003, 13:40 (Ref:578034)   #17
18000rpm
Rookie

18000rpm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bringing the car out late is done to get around the testing ban in the winter, I think. It means that the teams have more time to get the car working proporly, time they used to have during the winter. This just proves what a silly idea testing bans are. The other problem with a testing ban is that the teams simply spend even more money on wind tunels, shake rigs, etc.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 00:40 (Ref:578839)   #18
astralit
Rookie

My main concern is that how much longer will new car delays take. will we see williams then launch their car in october before the last race?

the new ferrari is 1 sec faster than anyone else already. Mclaren havent even started testing their new car, now it is well known that it takes months to ready a new car.

even if mclaren bring their new car out late, they will still face problems as it takes about 3 to 4 races to get familiar with the way the car works, so it will no doubt only be a disadvantage to them. and by the time the car becomes competitive, the season will be over.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 01:06 (Ref:578855)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
So!! just call it the 2004 McLaren. Then you'll probably complain that it is coming out early.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 01:14 (Ref:578858)   #20
astralit
Rookie

well i have heard somewhere that the new car does not even exist. i guess they are just preparing it for next season, so that they get around 6 months extra testing or something.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 22:01 (Ref:579970)   #21
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the MP4/17D has done better than the F2002 in the first 4 races, why not wait a bit longer?

Perhapps McLaren are thinking a bit longer term about the MP4/18A (no idea why there is an `A' after MP4/18???) and will run the car late on in 2003 to get the car ready for a full title shot in 2004 with the MP4/18B (or C or whatever).

Didn't Williams bring out a new car near the end of 1989 (FW13) and then race the FW13B for the whole of 1990??
Old 25 Apr 2003, 19:29 (Ref:580937)   #22
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
Perhapps McLaren are thinking a bit longer term about the MP4/18A (no idea why there is an `A' after MP4/18???)
That's the reason - it's the 18A because there will be an 18B, and more development. That's what they say, anyway.
Old 26 Apr 2003, 09:44 (Ref:581348)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe Mclaren will be trying to do 2002-2004 with only 2 cars. With the ever tightening cash flow, and that rules regarding cars are to be stable for this and next year, it is actually a wise move to put such a strategy into place, especially when the current car is a race winner.

And it is definitely allowed. Arrows in 99 used exactly the same car as they did the previous year in 98. And that car is a looker...sadly it doesn't perform half as good as it looks..
Old 26 Apr 2003, 13:09 (Ref:581415)   #24
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could Mclaren already be looking at next season. Is this season a development season for them
Old 26 Apr 2003, 14:44 (Ref:581478)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It'll be interesting to sew how the interim car compares with the new Ferrari (blimey, something that's likely to be interesting in Spain of all places!), because that will influence their decision. It does seem ot be getting to the point where they might not get a full enough advantage, especially if the car proves complicated to 'dial in'.

I wouldn't be surprised if next season's car is merely an evolution of this years, probably ready for the first race. I can't see much sense in launching the new cars a few races in year after year.