Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Jan 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3703883)   #26
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
They have new ways of collecting data this year and probably found things they wanted to adjust. Not to mention they also need to mix all the new cars into the class and you can't always make every car faster or slower in the same way. The new cars are faster than the older cars, so it creates a new middle.

-mike
It is indeed a job I don't envy.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 21:22 (Ref:3703924)   #27
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Seems really weird to look at a Daytona 24 Hour entry list that contains only five Porsches! So, that said, I'm pullin' for y'all! I won't be there, got a grits contest going on.
We are looking at 14 different manufacturers competing in the 24. I am having a hard time coming up with major endurance races that have had more than that.

Acura (GTD)
Aston Martin (GTD)
Audi (GTD)
BMW (GTLM, GTD)
Cadillac (P)
Chevrolet (GTLM)
Ferrari (GTLM, GTD)
Ford (GTLM)
Lamborghini (GTD)
Lexus (GTD)
Mazda (P)
Mercedes (GTD)
Nissan (P)
Porsche (GTLM, GTD)
Old 20 Jan 2017, 23:20 (Ref:3703939)   #28
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was surprised that the Cadillac gurney was kept at 30mm. And pleased, if this was an indication of a BoP strategy to equalize the class and not reward a particular entrant as often appears to be the case.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 06:03 (Ref:3704003)   #29
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I know the Prototypes are new, so the BoP needs finalised, but the majority of the GT3 and GTLM grids are old cars. Why are they being balanced again?
Because the designs are not stagnant - they're still being developed year after year, changing the needs of the balancing. Even the older cars often get some upgrades from one year to the next, and it only takes ONE upgraded car to need to change things for everyone.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3704081)   #30
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I kinda like it, especially the 911, as that makes more sense than "Beetle".

I also don't mind the "1X" on dirt track cars either.
Yep.

I'll be getting to the track Thursday afternoon.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3704097)   #31
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
Pretty sure the race goes green on Saturday.
The race starts after a 20 hour parade.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3704103)   #32
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
The race starts after a 20 hour parade.
I do miss the days when cars won by 10 laps or more because it makes the entire race meaningful in someway. Something that happens at 3 am used to matter to the outcome of the race. Now it does not. The FCY wave around procedure and the frequency of them is to thank for that.

Also you can have 3 average drivers who are not the quickest but keep the car on the track and 1 real good fast driver and still win the race.

Driver depth really is not very important in an IMSA endurance race.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3704111)   #33
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disappointed I wasn't able to make it this year. Maybe next year! I'll be camped out in front of the computer screen for all 24 hours though.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3704112)   #34
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Disappointed I wasn't able to make it this year. Maybe next year! I'll be camped out in front of the computer screen for all 24 hours though.
Same for me- no repeat of last year's trip but I'll be at Sebring
Old 21 Jan 2017, 23:32 (Ref:3704143)   #35
MaskedRacer
Veteran

A good Daytona 24 preview article I found:

http://autoweek.com/article/imsa/201...ionhip-preview
Old 22 Jan 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3704178)   #36
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I do miss the days when cars won by 10 laps or more because it makes the entire race meaningful in someway. Something that happens at 3 am used to matter to the outcome of the race. Now it does not. The FCY wave around procedure and the frequency of them is to thank for that.

Also you can have 3 average drivers who are not the quickest but keep the car on the track and 1 real good fast driver and still win the race.

Driver depth really is not very important in an IMSA endurance race.
Driver depth wasn't particularly important in the good old days. You didn't need knife's-edge-quick guys to remain in the fight every stint. You needed shoes that would keep the car together at 90% push. Wins like ESM's double-triumph at Daytona and Sebring (with a true Pro-Am crew) are very rare, and probably had to due with the BoP advantage P2 cars had last year. They were much more probable when all you needed was for the Am to simply not bin it, and drive time regulations were less harsh.

The fact that the cars are under-stressed nowadays at 100% commitment helps bring attrition rates down, thereby making it harder to win because more cars stay in with a shout. Mike Hull says the 24 Hours of Daytona is 24 distinct one hour sprint races held over the course of each fuel stint.

More cautions come from more racing incidents. Yes - the FCY rules help keep cars on the lead lap, but that means you must have ace drivers who can keep you ahead and out of the scrums, to win. Until, of course, alternate strategies can come into play towards the end of a race, that is where the FCY procedure can really help a team that might not be quickest on the day (whether that's due to BoP, slow drivers, or simply the car isn't a pace-setter.)

So in a very real way, driver depth is far more important (24 one-hour sprint races are won for the most part by the fastest guy that hour).

But yeah, unless you're involved in a serious wreck, or have a very rare 3am long-term garage visit... what happens at 3am usually doesn't effect the ultimate outcome of a race. Most often 3am features two, three, or four of the fastest cars battling, and simply enduring the clock. That's why I'll try to be up and watching next week, wife permitting. Ha!

Chris

Last edited by Jonerz; 22 Jan 2017 at 06:41.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 20:57 (Ref:3704294)   #37
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
-> page not found

Does anyone know the exact start time of the race, if possible relative to GMT
(as in 14:00 GMT-6 or similar)

I still have an appointment to make on either Saturday afternoon or Sunday evening (European time) and would like to make sure I can get back before the start of the race, or postpone in until after the finish.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3704297)   #38
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
-> page not found

Does anyone know the exact start time of the race, if possible relative to GMT
(as in 14:00 GMT-6 or similar)

I still have an appointment to make on either Saturday afternoon or Sunday evening (European time) and would like to make sure I can get back before the start of the race, or postpone in until after the finish.
Thanks for the notice, I'll update the link tonight
Old 22 Jan 2017, 21:18 (Ref:3704302)   #39
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
If my information is correct, then the race starts at 2:30 PM EST

EST = UTC -5 I think.
Belgium = UTC +1

Which makes the race start 20:30 Belgian time.

I hope I got my maths right ...
Old 22 Jan 2017, 21:41 (Ref:3704307)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

EST = UTC -5 I think.
Belgium = UTC +1

Seems right.

Here's the TV coverage, unless it's already been posted. Times are EST.

Jan. 28-29

Rolex 24 at Daytona

Saturday, Jan. 28

Fox TV, 2 p.m.-5 p.m.

FS1, 5 p.m.-10 p.m.

FS2, 11 p.m.-midnight

Sunday, Jan. 29

FS2, midnight-12:30 p.m.

FS1, 12:30 p.m.-3 p.m.

25 hours worth of coverage, from 2 p.m., Jan. 28 until 3 p.m., Jan. 29, will be available on the Fox Sports Go app

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/imsa/tv-...#ixzz4WWrftJtd
Old 23 Jan 2017, 03:49 (Ref:3704380)   #41
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

EST = UTC -5 I think.
Belgium = UTC +1

Yep. 20:30 = 8.30pm (2+6).

Here's the most recent schedule: http://competitors.imsa.com/sites/de...24h_011917.pdf

lots more good info as well: http://competitors.imsa.com

I'll have to set the dvd-r for this one, heading south to Cresson, TX for the drivers school event but hope to have this view for Sebring!

Old 23 Jan 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3704468)   #42
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Race week!!!!

https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:32114.1.99999
Looks like decent weather with some rain chances highest on Thursday, but certainly doesn't look out of the question through the weekend.

Floridians, what are your thoughts?
Old 23 Jan 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3704478)   #43
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If a cold front pushes out the warmth and moisture after qualifying ... I wouldn't expect more rain ... but with the global changes in climate ... shoot, Florida had a rash of tornadoes last night. No one knows any more.

Hopefully if it rains Thursday it will either be early, or best, after quali, then gone by noon Friday and then cool all weekend ... sort of like the Roar ---that was pretty typical seasonal weather, as far as I understand it. Could be worse.

Dry and warm would be best, no doubt.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3704504)   #44
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
If a cold front pushes out the warmth and moisture after qualifying ... I wouldn't expect more rain ... but with the global changes in climate ... shoot, Florida had a rash of tornadoes last night. No one knows any more.

Hopefully if it rains Thursday it will either be early, or best, after quali, then gone by noon Friday and then cool all weekend ... sort of like the Roar ---that was pretty typical seasonal weather, as far as I understand it. Could be worse.

Dry and warm would be best, no doubt.

I hope there is no rain on Thurs aft, so we can see legit qualifying lap times. The best time to rain I think is at the start of the race because that could shake up the field a bit. We saw during one of the sessions during the Roar where there was rain the Porsche 911 RSR led overall on the time sheets for a brief period.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3704506)   #45
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I hope there is no rain on Thurs aft, so we can see legit qualifying lap times. The best time to rain I think is at the start of the race because that could shake up the field a bit. We saw during one of the sessions during the Roar where there was rain the Porsche 911 RSR led overall on the time sheets for a brief period.
yeah,. so it rains Saturday afternoon, everyone gets wet, then the sun goes down, the cold air blows in, temps drop 20 degrees, the ground is wet, your shoes are wet, you are miserable .... and in the end it doesn't matter because the track dries overnight and the only thing changed was that a bunch of Am drivers wrecked, taking out some good pros and causing excessive yellow flag periods.

I loved the outcome of Petit 2015 ... but I cannot say I loved any minute of that whole multi-day event. I loved getting home and getting warm and dry ... was it worth it to see a Porsche GT win?

Not for me.

On the other hand, I was camping at Petit and won't be at Daytona .....
Old 23 Jan 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3704509)   #46
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
The start of the race is on Fox. Don't want rain then and and up with the network time getting a lot of caution laps. The best time would be sunday morning. Something about fatigue setting in, cars getting a little ragged, then possible rain to throw another monkey wrench in things seems like the best time for it.

I am incredibly excited for the race this year. Couldn't say that last few years.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3704542)   #47
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
No rain pls.

Want to see the sunrise from the stands again.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3704548)   #48
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
The start of the race is on Fox. Don't want rain then and and up with the network time getting a lot of caution laps. The best time would be sunday morning. Something about fatigue setting in, cars getting a little ragged, then possible rain to throw another monkey wrench in things seems like the best time for it.

I am incredibly excited for the race this year. Couldn't say that last few years.

Been excited about it every year since 2014. Before that...err not so much.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3704550)   #49
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some further Data on the GTLM-Cars from the roar:
http://cms3.gt-eins.at/imsa/11377-gt...fore-the-rolex

Old 23 Jan 2017, 23:21 (Ref:3704606)   #50
Maelochs
Veteran

Thanks again for crunching the numbers. Big shock to me is that Risi, with three good drivers and car they all know, should be slower than the rest.

I can see it taking a little time to sort out the new Porsche, but Risi ....

Oh well, A Ford/Corvette fight is always enjoyable.