Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 28 Aug 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1694912)   #1
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
tim-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood revival - good places to shoot from?

Hi fellas, been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now, and decided it was time to pop my 10/10ths cherry , especially as I'm going to Goodwood revival next weekend. It's my first time for the revival as well, and I wondered if anyone could give me a tip of good places to shoot from. I'm particularly fond of side profiles (see attachments below) and I have a 300mm telephoto so not being close isn't the end of the world (but a bonus of course!).

Here's a few from the FoS this year, had so much fun can't wait to go back!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
917-01.jpg   IMG_0301 copy.jpg   ferrari-01.jpg  

IMG_0697 copy.jpg  

Last edited by tim-b; 28 Aug 2006 at 12:02.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1695648)   #2
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i like the porsche photo. i've always thought that a crop like that wouldnt work, but it works well in that photo
Old 28 Aug 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1695793)   #3
Owain Shaw
Rookie

Owain Shaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you should be ok around most of the circuit with 300mm (assuming it's on a digital body - 300mm on film isn't so much fun) and probably able to pan that tight on most of the (short) straights, proably the best bet being around Madgwick where towards the exit you get reasonably close, and out between St Marys and Lavant which isn't that high speed. I've only shot there once and that was with film though ...
Old 29 Aug 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1696241)   #4
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
thanks Owain, I'll check those places out. and yes, shooting on digital. just got to hope for good weather now. anyone else from here going?

and thx badger for the comment, the 917 is so iconic in profile almost any crop works for me!
Old 29 Aug 2006, 23:45 (Ref:1697192)   #5
Owain Shaw
Rookie

I won't be in attendance. I simply have no money!

I think the earlier comment about the Porsche photograph was related to the Porsche F1 where the crop is a tight one towards the rear of the car, somewhat unconventional as most crops are done forward of the driver but I agree it is effective in this instance. With similar cars racing in the Glover Trophy, you might repeat the success at the Revival.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1697709)   #6
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
Ah Ok, didn't realise that was also a Porsche. I wanted to be very explicit about the MAN>ENGINE>WHEEL relationship, as thats pretty much the only ingredients of this car. i love those basic, earthy mechanicals, much more exciting to me than all this drive by wire nonsense! having said that modern racing cars still have a massive appeal to me, just in a different way
Old 30 Aug 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1698040)   #7
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-b
Ah Ok, didn't realise that was also a Porsche. I wanted to be very explicit about the MAN>ENGINE>WHEEL relationship, as thats pretty much the only ingredients of this car. i love those basic, earthy mechanicals, much more exciting to me than all this drive by wire nonsense! having said that modern racing cars still have a massive appeal to me, just in a different way
If you like earthy mechanicals look out for the Edwardian cars when you're at Goodwood - that's assuming they have Edwardian cars at Goodwood. Failing that, come along to a VSCC meeting when they have an outing.

I agree about the unusual crop in your first post; very effective. If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't have known it was a Porsche either.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1701068)   #8
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
just to let you know how i got on, a few pics from saturday.

as you can see, the weather was horrible, but at least the overcast sky gives nice soft lighting and with a graduated nd filter i think the stormy clouds give atmosphere to the shots.

i was mainly shooting from madgwick and st marys btw, surprisingly few people at st marys to get in my way!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2890 copy2.jpg   IMG_2723 copy2.jpg   IMG_3098 copy2.jpg  

IMG_2712 copy2.jpg  
Old 3 Sep 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1701076)   #9
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-b
just to let you know how i got on, a few pics from saturday.

as you can see, the weather was horrible, but at least the overcast sky gives nice soft lighting and with a graduated nd filter i think the stormy clouds give atmosphere to the shots.

i was mainly shooting from madgwick and st marys btw, surprisingly few people at st marys to get in my way!
I really like the two widest angle shots (1 & 3). Very atmospheric!
Old 4 Sep 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1701614)   #10
Owain Shaw
Rookie

I do too, especially with the dark and rather moody looking skies.

The compositional crop worked again on the Cobra. Good work.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1701673)   #11
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tim, love the wide angle shots, makes the most of the track and weather condintions.
Here are a some from my gallery. I think I am getting better with my digital camera!

Ferrari
Andy Johnson
TT start
Phil Hill Snr
Final race
Old 4 Sep 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1701682)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
I think I am getting better with my digital camera!
Good stuff there Nordic, you will have to remember the camara for your little trip to France next June....
Old 4 Sep 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1701766)   #13
tim-b
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
wow, looks like the weather was a little better on sunday! great action shot of the ferrari btw Nordic. i just missed the 750 monza (?) getting totalled at st marys by a minute or two as i was walking back there...nearly cried when i saw it.

thanks to all for encouragement btw, not so sure about the crop on the cobra now i look at it again but here's a few more wide angle/sky shots. definitely the ones that worked best for me in this weather - when i arrived i was discouraged by the miserable grey skies, but remember there may be a silver lining somewhere in that stormy cloud!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3289 copy.jpg   IMG_3120 copy2.jpg   IMG_2633 copy2.jpg  

IMG_2684 copy2.jpg   IMG_2691 copy2.jpg  
Old 6 Sep 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1703336)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree, really like the wide angle shots and the sky is a beautiful setting to it.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1706431)   #15
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Good stuff there Nordic, you will have to remember the camara for your little trip to France next June....

Still along way to go I think compared to many others I see posting here.

I have to resist the urge to change film every 24 or 36 shots in a shady corner!