Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Oct 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2777938)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Monteblanco With Masters 21 / 23 Oct (Now!)

Intresting feel to the event as is private meeting with no other grids and closed to spectators! As 'end of season finale' it hits the spot as hotter than Algarve and cloudless skies. Understand UK not so lucky?

Done 2 test sessions this morn to learn circuit. Most (in Plus 4) comers 2nd or 3rd gear. Need 6 speed box! B16 owner talked of also having problems with gaps between ratios. Track is twisty- some say Micky-Mouse and 2hr GD will be hard on cars and drivers. Free wi-fi everywhere so sitting in sun doing this- just needs a pool as well........
Old 21 Oct 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2777956)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mike you are fast becoming a paid up member of the idle rich.... do you plan on coming back or you going straight down to the Southern Hemisphere?!
Old 21 Oct 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2778008)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Mike you are fast becoming a paid up member of the idle rich.... do you plan on coming back or you going straight down to the Southern Hemisphere?!

Certainly not idle out here! 1hr testing completely shagged tyres and when fitting race set found broken spoke so local tyre man swapping for me! Meantime the Delta / Jim Woodley Galaxie has sheared a disc bell off hub so is out....

Phillip Island sounds good.......
Old 21 Oct 2010, 18:13 (Ref:2778044)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,forget Philip Island,there's Mallory on Sunday.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2778061)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Mike,forget Philip Island,there's Mallory on Sunday.
Indeed there is.

Anyone know what sort of order was placed on the weather suppliers?

I was there on Wednesday for the morning test session. Lots of last minute fill by the looks of things but still only enough cars to operate as an open pit lane. Fabulous bright sunny morning but not what one might call 'warm'.

At long last I experienced the Mallory Breakfast. Very enjoyable and fine value. It certainly helped me to fight off the effects of the chilly wind during the morning. Actually it will probably be effective for most of the approaching winter!
Old 21 Oct 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2778063)   #6
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't listen to him Mike, we got back today and the local weather forecast for the weekend is highs of 10 degrees and showers.

Steve
Old 21 Oct 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2778064)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Meantime the Delta / Jim Woodley Galaxie has sheared a disc bell off hub so is out....
I am willing to fly out with the required parts .....

Heck, if McLaren can do it why not others?

On the other hand .... from the way you described the circuit Mike I don't get a mental picture of it being good hunting territory for a Galaxie
Old 21 Oct 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2778066)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFurness View Post
Don't listen to him Mike, we got back today and the local weather forecast for the weekend is highs of 10 degrees and showers.

Steve
Sounds better then the last forecast I saw Steve.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 19:47 (Ref:2778070)   #9
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tachyon is getting my spare Healey diff to Spain tonight to keep the Clarkson squad racing tomorrow at Monteblanco. I'll bring it to the airport now!
Old 22 Oct 2010, 06:21 (Ref:2778261)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
8 o'clock and still dark. No sign of life in Masters tent but Delta up so tea mug now full of warming beverage! One problem for those sleeping in trucks and motor homes is the track maintenance night shift. The circuit is hoovered every night and lots of to-ing and fro-ing all through to 0630. Some small clouds now a bit lighter- what's going on!
Old 22 Oct 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2778302)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Did a bit of a shake down yesterday in the Galaxie and Lotus 17. Martin did a couple of tweeks on the Lotus and we decided to do a couple of hot laps in the second session ready for Jim and Fitz to turn up in the afternoon.Bit of a warm up lap then a quickee.Im slipstreaming Mike in his Morgan plus we are both catching up a Mini along pit straight up to a very tight right hander.I have been breaking just before the 100 meter board so the plan was to do both cars under breaking then head of for the rest of my lap with a clear track in front.Get to the 200 board no sign of Mike,s break lights Hmmm cant be long surely!150 board still Mike is flat out,by now my plan is going a bit wrong.100 Board SHiiiiiiiiTTTTT.Im fully locked up going past both cars into the scenery.Just had enough time to look round to see a very Chery Mike laughing his head off with a poor Mini driver looking not to impressed at all.Moral of this story never assume a Morgan does not have much breaking performance.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2778414)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Did a bit of a shake down yesterday in the Galaxie and Lotus 17. Martin did a couple of tweeks on the Lotus and we decided to do a couple of hot laps in the second session ready for Jim and Fitz to turn up in the afternoon.Bit of a warm up lap then a quickee.Im slipstreaming Mike in his Morgan plus we are both catching up a Mini along pit straight up to a very tight right hander.I have been breaking just before the 100 meter board so the plan was to do both cars under breaking then head of for the rest of my lap with a clear track in front.Get to the 200 board no sign of Mike,s break lights Hmmm cant be long surely!150 board still Mike is flat out,by now my plan is going a bit wrong.100 Board SHiiiiiiiiTTTTT.Im fully locked up going past both cars into the scenery.Just had enough time to look round to see a very Chery Mike laughing his head off with a poor Mini driver looking not to impressed at all.Moral of this story never assume a Morgan does not have much breaking performance.
I didn't think you had to use the brakes on a Morgan - just lift of and the aero does it all for you ..... not so?

Old 22 Oct 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2778454)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brakes are for Girlies anyway Grant.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2778456)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I didn't think you had to use the brakes on a Morgan - just lift of and the aero does it all for you ..... not so?

Ha ha. Interesting- at Portimao and here is a Plus 4 running with aero screen. It is way faster on straight than same car with hardtop. Not sure if it has htp but 6" wheels a bit of a giveaway

Common sense prevailed and it was put in invitation.......

Anorak fact- this is first car race meeting at Monteblanco! A few rough edges but pretty good effort so far

Old 22 Oct 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2778462)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Brakes are for Girlies anyway Grant.

Hmm.

That's why Girling got into the business wasn't it?
Old 23 Oct 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2778754)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
1 hour to go before 120 minutes on most abrasive track have seen. Tyres and brakes will be problem for some- hopefully not latter for me but will have to be careful with tyres. One member of Delta crew down with suspected food poisoning but as we all ate same last eve bit strange. Overcast so maybe not so hot- will be help in lasting race!

Got to go as Iain warming up 17 and getting gassed....
Old 23 Oct 2010, 08:03 (Ref:2778772)   #17
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question.
If a track is very abraisive can you go as fast on older hard tyres?
Mondello was supposed to be sore on tyres and I remember bringing hard old rubber with me with the notion that I would 'use them up' but we qualified first in class so I ran the newer tyres, and never tried it.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2778781)   #18
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Intresting feel to the event as is private meeting with no other grids and closed to spectators!

No spectators
We are not a bad bunch, have been known to put up awnings as well as drink tea.
Mind you why would I want to be in the sun when I can go to the Vee Festival at Brands as the rain comes down in stair rods.

Have fun guys, sorry to hear about the Galaxie Iain.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2778952)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
No spectators
We are not a bad bunch, have been known to put up awnings as well as drink tea.
Mind you why would I want to be in the sun when I can go to the Vee Festival at Brands as the rain comes down in stair rods.

Have fun guys, sorry to hear about the Galaxie Iain.
You know we would have got you in!

Adventure almost over- 17 with Jim & Iain and my Mog finished GD well, both collecting class trophies. Mog tyres virtually bald at end! Now loading up and sun still beating down.....

On less high note, mk1mart in hospital at moment after being taken ill last night. Waiting for news if he will be staying in or coming home with us.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2778957)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Feel a bit lost at the moment.Great race in Gentleman drivers spent a few laps dicing with Lotus Elan.Great fun.Truck all loaded but Martin in hospital and we are waiting for news.Now saying he has picked up a virus.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2778986)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Feel a bit lost at the moment.Great race in Gentleman drivers spent a few laps dicing with Lotus Elan.Great fun.Truck all loaded but Martin in hospital and we are waiting for news.Now saying he has picked up a virus.
That's an unfortunate way to end the trip for Martin. There seem to be a few nasty things going around at the moment. Hope things work out well and quickly.

Please pass on my best wishes.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2779777)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Same from me Iain,wish Martin a speedy recovery.

Probably got it from one of the mug's.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 08:16 (Ref:2780065)   #23
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't it Brooklands that was described as the right crowd and no crowding? It was a super way to end the Masters season, and I had my first golf lesson!
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2780140)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
At Santander waiting for ferry- saw snow on mountains this morn!

Martin recovered, appears a few others had same bug, so must have been local.

Delta, having decided not to eat before bay of biscuit is in cafeteria having full english......

One of the Lanaca guys fined en route for having feet up on dashboard, so be warned..... Hope wasn't driving at time!

Overnight stop last night bumped into Mr Bronson and Dick so a bit later night than anticipated.

Agree with Mr Hadfield that excellent end to season!
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:31 (Ref:2780146)   #25
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
A bit more time than usual so it was great to have the opportunity to see and chat with so many people. An interesting experience in race control (their team didn't speak English and I dont speak Spanish ) but we made it work with lots of smiles and arm waving......it was their first car meeting under a 'proper' permit and everybody at the track was desperately keen to do everything 'the right way'.
I certainly enjoyed it and hope everybody else did too?

A bit of a temperature shock at Mallory yesterday!!!!