Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2251252)   #1
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso reckons The Stig is ex-F1

Check this out. Was it Damon Hill this time out ?
Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2251258)   #2
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess; the Stig is Johnny Herbert
Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2251260)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Nah - WAY too tall to be Johnny.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2251262)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did anyone seriously believe it was Alonso?

If it was wet and he didn't spin it rules Massa out.......
Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:49 (Ref:2251265)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are several different Stigs. Ben Collins is definitely one of them... but was that him out in the 2 seater ? From what Alonso's said, I don't think so. I think Damon may be one of them... and that he's done the F1 stuff, remember the Renault F1 test ?
Old 15 Jul 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2251277)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even I remind the GP2 "veteran drivers" test, where Damon was of course involved, along Jacques Laffite, Adrian Campos and Patrick Tambay.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2251321)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Did anyone seriously believe it was Alonso?
Just what I was thinking. Hasn't Alonso been a bit too busy winning world titles and suchlike to be making himself a cult figure on Top Gear?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Jul 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2251328)   #8
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Where does the rumour come from that he was the stig? Ive never heard it :/

And by now surely everyone knows the stig is not just one person!?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2251362)   #9
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Collins is the current 'White Stig' and Perry Mcarthy was the previous 'Black Stig'.
I know Julian Bailey filled in for Mcarthy once but that was a few years ago.

There is a wikipedia page that might have the answer.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2251365)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I usually notice he looks slightly plump round the stomach, so definitely ex-F1.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2251367)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ben Collins is the current 'White Stig'
Perhaps oddly, they once used Ben Collins as Ben Collins when he raced that off-road skateboarder in a Mitsubisher rally car.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2251445)   #12
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recognise The Stig's voice (watch this clip from 2:10 onwards: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VihIf1Fi-BM), but I can't figure out who it is... :confused:
Old 15 Jul 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2251475)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
As someone mentioned previously, the Black Stig was Perry McCarthy (see his excellent biography for proof) and the White Stig is Ben Collins. However, on several occasions, other drivers have donned the disguise on a one-off basis. For instance, Heikki Kovalainen drove the Renault R24 round the TG test track, and Darren Turner did likewise with the Aston Martin DBRS9.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2251519)   #14
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They also used Jonathan Cochet to drive an F1 car in the past.

The F1 Live story has a lot of holes in it: To start with, I was at Silverstone from Thursday to Sunday, and never saw or heard a 2-seater going around.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2251524)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

Anthony Davidson ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
I recognise The Stig's voice (watch this clip from 2:10 onwards: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VihIf1Fi-BM), but I can't figure out who it is... :confused:
I think that's Anthony Davidson. If it was, it would not only explain The Stig's competence in a modern F1 car... but also Alonso's comments above.

Let's see if we can get Rennen to confirm that Anthony Davidson was never The Stig. Rennen... can you do that, or is it a polite 'no comment' ?
Old 15 Jul 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2251545)   #16
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
The F1 Live story has a lot of holes in it: To start with, I was at Silverstone from Thursday to Sunday, and never saw or heard a 2-seater going around.
There was a two seater out for a couple of laps between the Porsche Supercup and GP on Sunday.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2251557)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I agree that's Bones, sorry Anthony Davidson, but please don't aske Rennen to become involved. The reason Perry McCarthy lost the job was because he couldn't keep his mouth shut! Great wit and story teller, but sometimes discretion is not such a bad idea.

The voice in the first part of this clip is definitely Ben Collins, but then it changes back to Ant.

About Silverstone, the funny thing is that I saw exactly the same remarks as Alonso is supposed to have made attributed to Lewis Hamilton earlier, I think on autosport.com, but the story seems to have disappeared now. I'd say for sure that was Ant. It all adds up so neatly, but he's definitely not slightly plump around the middle! That'd be me!
Old 16 Jul 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2251952)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ex F1? for £150 a day??
Old 16 Jul 2008, 14:42 (Ref:2251969)   #19
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never seen the Stig and Superman in the same place together..

Seriously do Top Gear people go around starting these threads on purpose? Who cares who it is?
Old 16 Jul 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2251996)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He does'nt.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2252056)   #21
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I've never seen the Stig and Superman in the same place together..

Seriously do Top Gear people go around starting these threads on purpose? Who cares who it is?
I started the thread. The earlier youTube clip has been viewed by almost 1.8M people... which is pretty high by youTube standards. Alonso was moved to comment that The Stig [at the Silverstone GP weekend] was an ex-F1 driver. His identity would be national-newsworthy stuff in the UK and the possibility that he's an F1 driver is newsworthy stuff here.

A lot of people care who it is... and according to Strider's post above... The Stig would apparently care very much about it if his identity was revealed.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2252091)   #22
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16345037@N03/2674210929/
Here he is !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jul 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2252124)   #23
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Old 16 Jul 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2252131)   #24
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have never heard anybody speculate that Alonso was/is the stig, not even for the episode where the stig drives the Renault F1 car.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2252179)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER

Nice one Gordon,Why does this hopeless quest keep croping up,this must be the forth discussion concerning the one subject.