Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Aug 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3668232)   #101
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Did Fisichella just push Bamber off the track?
Yeah I seen that from the helicam on the slowdown lap. He pushed him off the road.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3668233)   #102
divxx
Racer

United States
Other side of the pond
divxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camera panned away just as Fisi did a Nascar-style post-race bump on Bamber.

Also, did the announcers already say "no action" on the contact?
Old 28 Aug 2016, 20:23 (Ref:3668234)   #103
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The post race incident wasn't as bad as I thought when I saw the in-car, but definitely warrants a steward's appointment after the race for both.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 20:26 (Ref:3668236)   #104
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Oh look, Bamber hit someone. Where's the surprised emoji?
Old 28 Aug 2016, 20:29 (Ref:3668237)   #105
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, Bamber blaming Fisi for that?? Really not helping your case, now I definitely think exclusion is warranted since he has no clue that move couldn't work without hitting the Ferrari
Old 28 Aug 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3668239)   #106
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VIR 2016

Great win for sellers and snow.....

Nice job by Garcia and magnussen,to bad muller couldn't pull through but nice green white checkered there.....

tough hit for the 4 I doubt they would give up points like that to help the 3,oh well.he's ok and the vette is one tough car to still be drivable after that hit,good thing is now the 67 is even closer in points.

Some thing seriously needs to be done with those core Porsche's or just tandy and bamber,way to much contact every race this year and every race since they've been around from 2014.its getting rediculous,costing other hard working clean racing cars wins or podiums.

As for bmw something needs to change in engineering,I'd hate to blame the mechanics but how many times have they had tires or brakes fall off this year now? Reengineer the corners,change wheel guns,calibrating the torque wrenches,or get new wheel changers!

Last edited by Lagunaseca_4life; 28 Aug 2016 at 20:51.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3668242)   #107
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the M6 isn't a good fit for the GTLM rules. Perhaps get at the old Z4s until the bugs are fix perhaps?
Old 28 Aug 2016, 21:39 (Ref:3668243)   #108
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
And it seems like IMSA has decided to let both actions slide? Bamber's move was a stretch and over-zealous, once I'd say just remind him to tone it down but that's a few times this season and last. If IMSA has FIA style license points, I'd say it's worth a few at least. Fisi's move, while not as bad as some I've seen post-race, is something that needs to be addressed by the stewards as well.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3668246)   #109
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Kinda like the f1 race today with Verstappen getting no punishment for his hits.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3668253)   #110
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Kinda like the f1 race today with Verstappen getting no punishment for his hits.
Haven't seen it yet, but think he has points already doesn't he? And I think the race stewards rather than FIA chose to issue penalty points so it can vary race to race. IMSA is the same stewards at each race, I'd assume?
Old 29 Aug 2016, 01:24 (Ref:3668287)   #111
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Magnus Audi excluded. Ride height violation.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 29 Aug 2016, 02:00 (Ref:3668293)   #112
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just catching up here, had to leave before the last 45 minutes. Overall I really enjoyed the race, but the contact throughout the race that was not penalized probably led directly to the contact in the final lap by the Porsche on the Ferrari. I would have to think Fisi should be replaced next year at Risi, he hasn't been on the pace of Vilander this year and seems to always lose time to the competition.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 19:14 (Ref:3668461)   #113
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
It was a long, long day yesterday! Got up at 4:30am to meet seanyb at 5:30 (he was late) to drive up to VIR. Got back home around 9pm. Long day, but well worth it, and memories that won't fade for quite some time. Lucked out and got not one, but TWO hot laps! One was the Michelin hot lap on the infield Patriot course, the second was the IMSA hot lap on the full circuit. The Michelin hot lap was in a Ferrari 458, the IMSA hot lap in a Porsche 911 GT3. As I told Sean, it was an embarrassment of riches getting to experience both of those!

The race was interesting enough. Would have liked to have seen at least one position change at the front that wasn't strictly as a result of pit stops. I thought for sure that the Ford in second place was going to pass the Vette before the end.

VIR is such a great venue and one that you have to put on your list if you're within a reasonable distance, it's just a great place to spend the day. Crowds appeared to be of a good size, parking areas seemed full and there was a line to get both in and out.

I thought Michelin did a great job of being the title sponsor, had some nice displays at a couple of different locations, and had some very nice hats and other items that they were giving out to everyone. I hope that they can grow the event in years to come.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 00:43 (Ref:3668707)   #114
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Race thoughts:

1) Some of the best sky cam shots I have ever seen at a race. Did not matter if it was from helicopter or drone.

2) VIR made lots of money this past weekend but i'm sure they saved money from not having to use gas on the lawn mowers because exotic GT cars cut the grass for them just fine.

3) I love the VIR track layout. Who needs paved run offs or sand. Grass does the job just fine.

4) All GT racing is great. An almost FCY free race. Great looking cars too. Hopefully in 2017 the field will be 25-30 full season GT cars.

5) The race was great despite the fact that the two winners controlled the race from start to finish. Does not to be a classic, just a great facility with great looking cars running without interruption whether its on track or on TV through commercials (you don't get that with the IMSA radio based youtube coverage)

6) Should VIR invest money in building some grandstands?

7) Big props to Bryan Sellers. One of my favorite drivers winning. Of course without forgetting that Madison Snow put on THE single best performance by a silver driver in a race in the past 3 years of the WeatherTech series.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 03:14 (Ref:3668730)   #115
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Yeah, came here to say how good those helo shots were.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 04:23 (Ref:3668741)   #116
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
VIR is like a sea of green. Must have a good sprinkler system
Old 31 Aug 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3668779)   #117
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Race thoughts:

1) Some of the best sky cam shots I have ever seen at a race. Did not matter if it was from helicopter or drone.

2) VIR made lots of money this past weekend but i'm sure they saved money from not having to use gas on the lawn mowers because exotic GT cars cut the grass for them just fine.

3) I love the VIR track layout. Who needs paved run offs or sand. Grass does the job just fine.

4) All GT racing is great. An almost FCY free race. Great looking cars too. Hopefully in 2017 the field will be 25-30 full season GT cars.

5) The race was great despite the fact that the two winners controlled the race from start to finish. Does not to be a classic, just a great facility with great looking cars running without interruption whether its on track or on TV through commercials (you don't get that with the IMSA radio based youtube coverage)

6) Should VIR invest money in building some grandstands?

7) Big props to Bryan Sellers. One of my favorite drivers winning. Of course without forgetting that Madison Snow put on THE single best performance by a silver driver in a race in the past 3 years of the WeatherTech series.
Indeed. No fuzz with track limits, they were easy to find - and to exceed! Unfortunately none of the 'safety gurus' will take notice - they will continue their tarmac quest...

It seems that lowering the number of classes together on track is the trick (as we have seen at Laguna in recent history) - good thing we'll see less from 2018 onwards. Btw,not sure the one caution was a necessity either as Gavin eventually drove off and the radio traffic between team and driver might have been beneficiary to race control in determining to neutralize the race or not.

Remarkable to see Fisi napping big time on the restart, letting the two leaders go outta of sight in a heartbeat and creating a very venerable situation for himself on the next corner...

Also the tv ratings are in:

Quote:
The IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship averaged 91,000 viewers for its GT-only race from VIR on FS1 (rating number was not available).
from http://www.racer.com/north-american-...texas-michigan

You'll have to wonder about the tv package for this race next season.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3668781)   #118
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Eh, Gavin was in a really bad spot for quite some time before the FCY was called.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 14:27 (Ref:3668785)   #119
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Or was he?

Going by the stream (available here the first glimpse of the 4 in the tire wall was with 6:25 left and only 4 (!) seconds later, the caution pops up on the screen (around 2h39 into the race) and less than a minute later, at 5:30 left to go, Olly gets his car going again and starts to leave the scene to head to pitlane. I'd call that a panic caution. But perhaps something you can expect from Beaux (Barfield, the WSC race director) nowadays.

Yes, it's a section with good speed corners but as you can see from the replays, the impact isn't anything dramatic, the tirewall sticks up pretty well and reshapes itself nicely. It's also way off track. Local yellows at turn stations 15 (DR) and 16 (DL, hardly staffed but for this IMSA event) could have easily covered the incident for that minute. This area of the track is not that incident prone as some others at VIR. With a green at turn station 17 (DR again) it would have allowed the race to continue with full race conditions all the way but this little area. It's not that you see a lot of overtaking towards the Hogpen anyway as it's pretty much a single file racing line, it's more of a set up for a potential pass into 1. The radio traffic between team and driver should informed RC that the driver was okay and trying to make its way out of there. Any damage to armco could not have been fixed in the remaining time anyway if that had been the big issue (but it wasn't otherwise they wouldn't have gone back to green or at least would have kept up the locals yellows at the stations above).

Last edited by Coach Ep; 31 Aug 2016 at 14:36.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 15:26 (Ref:3668796)   #120
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Indeed. No fuzz with track limits, they were easy to find - and to exceed! Unfortunately none of the 'safety gurus' will take notice - they will continue their tarmac quest...

It seems that lowering the number of classes together on track is the trick (as we have seen at Laguna in recent history) - good thing we'll see less from 2018 onwards. Btw,not sure the one caution was a necessity either as Gavin eventually drove off and the radio traffic between team and driver might have been beneficiary to race control in determining to neutralize the race or not.

Remarkable to see Fisi napping big time on the restart, letting the two leaders go outta of sight in a heartbeat and creating a very venerable situation for himself on the next corner...

Also the tv ratings are in:

from http://www.racer.com/north-american-...texas-michigan

You'll have to wonder about the tv package for this race next season.
-One reason why grass works is because of the wide open spaces that VIR has. I'm sure not all tracks has that to work with. But if you have the space it beats the tarmac for sure. I hate the sand the most.

-Yeah I was hoping IMSA would let it stay green with the #4 Corvette happening with only 6 minutes left.

-Been saying that all along with the class count. Keep LMPC out you get races with much fewer FCY's. Maybe the prototype and GTLM drivers will behave better and keep it even lower in the future.

-Is TV ratings everything anymore? I could not make it to VIR even though its the closest track to me because of an injured family member but I watched the race live using IMSA Radio, Live Timing, and On boards. And saw the youtube broadcast the next day. That is awesome now using the IMSA radio feed. No commericals and no tire tip segments. You get the full 2 hour 40 minutes now. It used to be that a youtube replay using FOX for a 2 hour 40 minute race would only be about 2 hours 30 minutes which include the cuts from commercials, the intros and the dumb tire tip segments.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 15:28 (Ref:3668797)   #121
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Or was he?

Going by the stream (available here the first glimpse of the 4 in the tire wall was with 6:25 left and only 4 (!) seconds later, the caution pops up on the screen (around 2h39 into the race) and less than a minute later, at 5:30 left to go, Olly gets his car going again and starts to leave the scene to head to pitlane. I'd call that a panic caution. But perhaps something you can expect from Beaux (Barfield, the WSC race director) nowadays.

Yes, it's a section with good speed corners but as you can see from the replays, the impact isn't anything dramatic, the tirewall sticks up pretty well and reshapes itself nicely. It's also way off track. Local yellows at turn stations 15 (DR) and 16 (DL, hardly staffed but for this IMSA event) could have easily covered the incident for that minute. This area of the track is not that incident prone as some others at VIR. With a green at turn station 17 (DR again) it would have allowed the race to continue with full race conditions all the way but this little area. It's not that you see a lot of overtaking towards the Hogpen anyway as it's pretty much a single file racing line, it's more of a set up for a potential pass into 1. The radio traffic between team and driver should informed RC that the driver was okay and trying to make its way out of there. Any damage to armco could not have been fixed in the remaining time anyway if that had been the big issue (but it wasn't otherwise they wouldn't have gone back to green or at least would have kept up the locals yellows at the stations above).
Beaux usually waits and sees what develops before deciding to throw an FCY. So what happened with the Corvette off was not typical of him. The reactions was more like how IMSA in 2014 operated.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 16:11 (Ref:3668802)   #122
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching racing on tv is a breeze these days if you have a DVR and most people do. Record the race, give it a 30-45 minute head start, fast forward through commercials, stupid segments or few boring laps and you'll finish watching the race live.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 01:46 (Ref:3668856)   #123
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
...Lucked out and got not one, but TWO hot laps!...it was an embarrassment of riches getting to experience both of those!

..VIR is such a great venue and one that you have to put on your list if you're within a reasonable distance...

I thought Michelin did a great job of being the title sponsor...I hope that they can grow the event in years to come.
I agree with the praise of VIR, the race, the sponsors and the whole experience.

I'm lucky to live about 90 miles from VIR and I've enjoyed each one of my visits to the track-twice for Superbike races and now twice for a sports car race.

I wish I had planned my visit better so that I could have enjoyed a hot lap in one of the many cool cars that fans were jumping in and out of during the hour before the main race.

I'm fortunate to have attended races at famous venues (24 hours of Le Mans, a couple events at the Nurburgring and Spa and Montreal F1) but attending an event like the IMSA weekend at VIR compares favorably with much bigger events because it is so fan friendly by comparison. The fact that there was a pit walk open to everyone before the main race is the best example of the fan friendly environment at the race.

The setting of VIR and the design of the track are great too. The current owners seem to be doing the right things to make VIR a long-term success as a business.

I was only able to attend the races on Sunday. The only downside of the day was that the weather was hot and humid, as it normally is at this time of year. The weather at VIR can be much more pleasant in May or October.

Here are some photos.

Old 1 Sep 2016, 03:08 (Ref:3668860)   #124
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
I agree with the praise of VIR, the race, the sponsors and the whole experience.

I'm a big fan of VIR and of pretty ladies selling tires.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 03:33 (Ref:3668861)   #125
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Took 3 nights to get through it this week. Love VIR

Bamber had 2 wheels on the rumble strips and grass with 1 lap to go and someone squeezing him. Is he supposed to stay in line and dodge the blocking car in front? And honestly, with the recent history of the 62, I don't have a lot of leash with them. Racing deal.

FS1 brought their B-team with camera shooters and producers, it seems.

The new paving seems to be too smooth through the esses No craziness through there but I couldn't see too well with the B-team changing cameras in the middle of the shots.

Helo / Drone cams were great, but give me the speed shot through the esses and nothing else and I'll be tickled pink.

Creamer said "dude" and J Bell stated that "grass wasn't legal in VA yet" during the broadcast.

And oh yeah.

BOWTIES!!!!!!!!