Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Jul 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2256067)   #26
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Thanks james.

well I think next year you may get what you want - its about 45% complete but is ongoing all year. I'm not saying which tracks are in it yet but Gavs pics are just so much better (which is pretty difficult - but they are!) and the writing is a lot better I feel.
This are great news I have enjoyed the first edition very much and am damn sure I will this one too - Please be sure to post an adress for pre-orders early enough. I want to be early on such a list

Oh overseas .... will one of the tracks Pete Hylton wrote about in Ghost Tracks on the list too ?

MY personal favourite list includes Westwood, Riverside, Bridgehampton, Meadowdale and Warwick Farm though. Man its gonna be tough waiting

Last edited by Andy77; 22 Jul 2008 at 18:37.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 18:48 (Ref:2256076)   #27
Andy77
Veteran

Oh I forgot to ask but will be there a german edition again? I'd gladly buy that one too.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2258209)   #28
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Should be a German edition also of one of the two new books... (yes two)
Old 27 Jul 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2258633)   #29
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Should be a German edition also of one of the two new books... (yes two)
2 !! and 3 for me ! that will be like xmas
I hope I get signed ones this time though and that the translation is done by people who know about racing
Old 29 Jul 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2259570)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd personally like to see more shots of the circuits as they are now and less period photography......
Old 2 Aug 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2262049)   #31
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thanks for that ayse... not something we had considered but what are others thoughts on that? I sort of agree
Old 6 Aug 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2264427)   #32
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Yep, I'd go along with that too, the historic shots are interesting as a starting point but the "now" shots are far more atmospheric and powerful - "Ghosts of a bygone age" and all that malarky. It's true of circuits and also old airfields - abandoned control towers, overgrown huts with faded signage etc. etc. Shadows of their former selves but still maintaining "the feel" of the place.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2264432)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The point of the book is the current, so there should be lots of those. However all new would be dull; it is the history that makes us go there. 50:50 split of me. I particularly like comparing the same view point from the old days to the current views.

Like they used to do in Motorsport. Actually it is a shame Motorsport aren't doing an archive of those articles. They covered quite a few tracks and it was always a good read and photos.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2264704)   #34
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I'd personally like to see more shots of the circuits as they are now and less period photography......
After I finally understood what above was supposed to meant (English ain't my native language) I must say that in some tough cases some modern day photos may not help much to imagine where a circuit ran and how exciting it must have been.
A couple of examples there may be Riverside, Bridgehampton and Augusta. I do not need pictures of a shopping mall or a golf course . ok maybe one or two to make the relation to today, but thats it.

Most probably the choice of pictures should be decided by todays look of the location. If it is still visible like Keimola, Meadowdale or the Monza banking than a picture tour of today is really due. Is it about locations like mentioned above which were completely abandoned it is better to leave the choice of pictures to a memorial and or aerial shots.
In case of Meadowdale , for example, I would try to dig photos of the Monza banking since almost everything else still can be seen.

Still, the frontcover of Autodrome Europe to me is one of this amazing shots you catch once in a lifetime
Old 8 Aug 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2265864)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apologies if my post wasn't all that clear. Bert has put it much better than I did, but I agree with Adam as well. I would have liked more pictures of the Monza banking, for example or the roads that still remain which were part of Reims. For the same reason I would have liked to see the roads that formed part of the great Rouen circuit, despite the fact that it has been completely anonymised.....

But I definitely agreed with you Andy about that cover picture. I remember saying how spectacular I thought it was the first time I saw it - beautiful.
Old 8 Aug 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2265866)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Oh, and I'd like to see aerial photos of them all too........
Old 9 Aug 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2266305)   #37
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeh Aerial photos is a great idea

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2267337)   #38
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Apologies if my post wasn't all that clear. Bert has put it much better than I did, but I agree with Adam as well. I would have liked more pictures of the Monza banking, for example or the roads that still remain which were part of Reims. For the same reason I would have liked to see the roads that formed part of the great Rouen circuit, despite the fact that it has been completely anonymised.....

But I definitely agreed with you Andy about that cover picture. I remember saying how spectacular I thought it was the first time I saw it - beautiful.
nah no apologies needed. I could have known it better.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2270547)   #39
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
Oh, and I'd like to see aerial photos of them all too........
I can't fly so thats not happening!
Old 7 Sep 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2284146)   #40
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Much discussion on recent days regarding the new books. I think the first one will be announced next week, and will hit the shelves in the new year yep its finished and includes the 'missing' chapter from Autodrome - check the amazon high res cover to see what I mean.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2291163)   #41
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Much discussion on recent days regarding the new books. I think the first one will be announced next week, and will hit the shelves in the new year yep its finished and includes the 'missing' chapter from Autodrome - check the amazon high res cover to see what I mean.
OMG .... That spanish kidney shaped oval !!! - sweet really nice news
Old 25 Sep 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2297825)   #42
Andy77
Veteran

Hey Sam . I'd really like to request another chapter or an own books on Reims since the incredible work of the "Les amis du Circuit de Gueux" must have started after you visited Reims for Autodrome 1 and really needs to get recognised in some kind of "up from the ashes....".

After I just read about the 2nd meeting between halfway restored walls I just sent away my amis-applyment. It is absolutely incredible what the "Amis - ACG" did there as of yet and want to do in the future too.
Old 27 Sep 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2298911)   #43
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
We knew the ACG when we were there - the restoration had started when we shot the first book. I was in Reims not so long ago and swung past the circuit. I think it a matter of time before racing restarts
Old 1 Dec 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2344937)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'll always support more on Reims, Rouen and the old bits of Monza in particular......
Old 8 Dec 2008, 01:40 (Ref:2349981)   #45
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Rouen is on the drive to Le Mans... but theres quite a few variants of the track only one is fully lappable
Old 8 Dec 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2350091)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's the bits where you wander off and look for what's left here and there in the undergrowth that fascinate me for some strange reason.......
Old 8 Dec 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2350282)   #47
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Rouen is on the drive to Le Mans... but theres quite a few variants of the track only one is fully lappable
Some of the old long circuit (Dk Blue) has been lost to motorways. The orange section is still there but is more of a cycle track now. The light blue link and the rest of the dk blue section is still driveable.

Quote:
It's the bits where you wander off and look for what's left here and there in the undergrowth that fascinate me for some strange reason.......
The local authorities seem to want to erase the memory of its racing history All the old buidings have gone and traffic calming has been added to the long downhill section by way of bollards in the centre of the road. One or two things that relate to the circuit can still be seen, but I have the feeling they won't be there for long.

It's still worth a drive around though. Even at very low speed one can appreciate how fast and dangerous the place was!
Old 9 Dec 2008, 02:14 (Ref:2350655)   #48
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
low speed? - I did it in a V8 Vantage!
Old 9 Dec 2008, 11:12 (Ref:2350886)   #49
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
low speed? - I did it in a V8 Vantage!
Somehow my Laguna doesn't compete. I also had my 2 daughters in the back who were more interested in rediscovering Rouen's shopping district than driving around a bit of old French road in the rain!
Old 1 Mar 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2406811)   #50
Andy77
Veteran

Speedway – Auto Racing’s Ghost Tracks ..... nice title !
reminds me to that Pete Hylton book called 'Ghost Tracks' .
I see from the content that you are going to Augusta ! This must have been one hell of a circuit

I thought you mentioned that your next release was coming in spring and not in autumn ... However I just want to get in the row for one of the early 1st edition books