Old 1 Mar 2004, 12:59 (Ref:890046)   #51
Patrese256
Rookie

Wales
UK
Patrese256 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Yea - Mansell mvoed over for Patrese at Suzuka, only for his engine to blow on the next lap. Either way, Ricardo had beeen spared the embarrassment of failing to win a race in perhaps F1's most dominant car.
Nigel let Riccardo through at the end of lap 35 (of a 53 lap race) then sat glued to his team-mate's gearbox until he retired on lap 44. Nigel said "I think everyone understood what I was doing"...everyone except his team-mate who said afterwards "we hadn’t discussed this before the race, and it wasn’t really clear to me what was happening - especially as he pushed very hard after letting me through!"

The MotorSport article "The Domination Game" gives an interesting insight into perhaps why Riccardo didn't win with the FW14B until Japan.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 16:45 (Ref:890296)   #52
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I don't think that was a controversial viewpoint.

What happened to Riccardo after Monza 78 was one of the most disgusting things the sport has ever seen - and many of the drivers involved have subsequently said they're ashamed of their role in the witch-hunt.
Apologies! I thought you took the opposing view and were one of those who had it in for Patrese due to Monza '78.

Very sorry.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 00:52 (Ref:890820)   #53
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
KRT917
I agree that Brundle did much better than many of the others who teamed with Schumacher, my point was that it didn't take his career anywhere.Although Martin spent a couple of years with EJ his career never really went anywhere after that. He'd had an opportunity at Macca's but that was a bad year for McLaren and Brundles career never really flourished following the year at Mac's. For Riccardo it was the same. Very experienced and competent driver spends a year with Superhun and from that point on team managers turn away from him, doors close. They look for someone new who might be 'the next Schumacher'.

Last edited by Teretonga; 2 Mar 2004 at 00:53.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 22:40 (Ref:891841)   #54
Patrese256
Rookie

Wales
UK
Patrese256 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Teretonga
Very experienced and competent driver spends a year with Superhun and from that point on team managers turn away from him, doors close. They look for someone new who might be 'the next Schumacher'.
For a few years Benetton didn't exactly deal drivers (apart from Schumacher) a very good hand. To be fair Martin Brudle didn't deserve to be replaced at the end of 1992, although Patrese's experience with the Williams team did prove to be very valuable. Having treated Riccardo poorly Briatore then hired and discarded Lehto, Verstappen and Herbert.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 10:08 (Ref:892171)   #55
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Teretonga
KRT917
I agree that Brundle did much better than many of the others who teamed with Schumacher, my point was that it didn't take his career anywhere.Although Martin spent a couple of years with EJ his career never really went anywhere after that. He'd had an opportunity at Macca's but that was a bad year for McLaren and Brundles career never really flourished following the year at Mac's. For Riccardo it was the same. Very experienced and competent driver spends a year with Superhun and from that point on team managers turn away from him, doors close. They look for someone new who might be 'the next Schumacher'.
Fair enough. I would just say that at least RP had had a few seasons in a decent car before he came across Schuey, whereas 1992 was really MB's only decent shot (as you say, the '94 McLaren was one of their worsed).