Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Jun 2016, 07:12 (Ref:3650862)   #51
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been reading some very disturbing things from Baku. International marshals not being permitted to sign on, nor given tabards, while other people (presumably locals) have been demanding to take wristbands/other accreditation from them.

It sounds... Well, let's call it interesting.
Old 17 Jun 2016, 12:07 (Ref:3650916)   #52
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, well. As long as Bernie's happy. Far better to go to some outpost with no trained marshals and dodgy safety standards than somewhere awkward like, well, Silverstone for instance...
Old 17 Jun 2016, 13:38 (Ref:3650947)   #53
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Ah, well. As long as Bernie's happy. Far better to go to some outpost with no trained marshals and dodgy safety standards than somewhere awkward like, well, Silverstone for instance...
Old 17 Jun 2016, 15:07 (Ref:3650974)   #54
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just seen some inboard footage of the track. This isn't Formula E, is it?
Old 17 Jun 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3651096)   #55
Heardy1982
Rookie

Heardy1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP2 First practice was interesting vehicle parked in run off area it was soon moved
Old 17 Jun 2016, 23:08 (Ref:3651128)   #56
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post

But he just makes it so easy. I try to resist
Old 21 Jun 2016, 06:36 (Ref:3654080)   #57
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I've been reading some very disturbing things from Baku. International marshals not being permitted to sign on, nor given tabards, while other people (presumably locals) have been demanding to take wristbands/other accreditation from them.

It sounds... Well, let's call it interesting.
I had a great time in Baku
I would not say we had rough time, there were some teething troubles but come on it was a brand new venue
We had to pay for the flight over but everything else was free
Room
Food
Transport to the hotel and back to the airport
Transport to and from the track
Overalls
Rucksack
Cap
Sun cream
Two T shirts
Trainers
Whistles
Gloves
More water and bottles of coke than you could ever imagine
seven ice boxes on each post with dry ice each day
Friendly very helpful staff
I could go on
And the people in Baku are friendly and helpful
So what there where a few little problems
I say WELL DONE BAKU ������

Now let me think what will I get at Silverstone in a couple of weeks time

Last edited by Apple; 21 Jun 2016 at 06:42.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 06:39 (Ref:3654081)   #58
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
If you cant be bothered to get off your arze and see, and help them get it right, Stop knocking it.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 08:00 (Ref:3654096)   #59
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you all had a great time, looks a great circuit, just what Formula One needs, a shake up.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 08:33 (Ref:3654101)   #60
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Looking at the list of stuff they gave you, did they make a contribution towards your excess baggage fees on the return flight?
Old 21 Jun 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3654135)   #61
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
Now let me think what will I get at Silverstone in a couple of weeks time
Wet?
Old 21 Jun 2016, 12:11 (Ref:3654140)   #62
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I had a great time in Baku
I would not say we had rough time, there were some teething troubles but come on it was a brand new venue
Good to hear it; I'd have expected teething trouble but some of the specific tales of woe from one of your travelling colleagues made me wince.

On TV it certainly looked like an interesting circuit, that's for sure!
Old 21 Jun 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3654144)   #63
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
[
Quote:
If you cant be bothered to get off your arze and see, and help them get it right, Stop knocking it.
There was a certain amount of tongue in cheek, based on his willingness to take the top level of the sport to places who have no experience and no infrastructure while dishing out grief to Silverstone.

QUOTE=Apple;3654080]Now let me think what will I get at Silverstone in a couple of weeks time[/QUOTE]

Which is sort of part of my point.

But as always, I'm pleased you enjoyed the experience and very pleased you were treated well. And even more pleased that there, as at Silverstone, our marshals continue to set high standards at least the equal of anywhere else in the world.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 15:43 (Ref:3654210)   #64
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
Fubar Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had an awesome time!

Very picturesque, locals were fantastic, interesting history, excellent traditional food (when eating in old town), brilliant weather and being so close to the cars when on track really made my weekend.

There are some issues with track safety that have been mentioned and needed improvements. The local Baku marshals were exceptionally keen, albeit under trained for the event, but that didn't stop them wanting to learn and welcome our experience and knowledge (although the Bahrainis at my post were a little less welcoming to our knowledge and experience, but overall they were fine).

There has been some real investment into the F1 Baku Circuit and although organisation was a little questionable and communication between marshals, posts and race control were somewhat confusing, your going to get some issues or "rough bits" as its their first time.

Overall it was a fantastic experience, I'd never thought about Baku for a destination, but would recommend a long weekend to check the place out.

If its on next year, I'm 100% going as a marshal!
Old 22 Jun 2016, 18:47 (Ref:3654508)   #65
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
posted by another marshal who actually went to Baku.

https://www.facebook.com/mick.appleg...66596225894068
Old 22 Jun 2016, 20:14 (Ref:3654529)   #66
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
posted by another marshal who actually went to Baku.

https://www.facebook.com/mick.appleg...66596225894068
of course we have to be fb friends with you to read it Mick
Old 23 Jun 2016, 06:25 (Ref:3654605)   #67
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
of course we have to be fb friends with you to read it Mick
I didn't know that sorry.

(for those that couldn't see the post before)
If I was forced to say one bad thing about Baku, it would be that everyone treats you so well and that the the people are so perfect with hospitality, that you never want to leave.
When you're in Baku, you're not in someone's city, its more like you're in someone's home, not as a guest, but as family.
The locals may not know you from a bar of soap, but they greet you like they've known you a lifetime.
When the locals show you something, they are showing not the material item, they're showing you a part of their soul, part of their life, they give a piece of themselves to you, to take and treasure for life - and many of us westerners could learn a thing or two from it.
Thank you Baku, thank you Aerbaijan, thank you Formula 1.