Old 2 Mar 2004, 11:20 (Ref:891103)   #1
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schum1: 'I can't wait to get onto the track and race!'

I might add that we can't wait for you to get on the track and race

Schum1 when asked who has the best chance of beating Ferrari:
'Williams-BMW and Renault could be the trickiest opponents', responds Michael. 'Their results have been good right from the beginning and I have to say that they have impressed in this winter period where their testing results have been good'. And McLaren?

'That's just it: I referred to them without forgetting...ourselves, we haven't done too badly' he underlines with a smile.

Go Schumi

So is this now a "three horse race"?
Old 2 Mar 2004, 11:24 (Ref:891107)   #2
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean you don't think McLaren are in the race? bah, 4 horse race me finks.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 11:30 (Ref:891115)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 horse, it'd be stupid to suppose otherwise i think.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 11:33 (Ref:891116)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Underestimate McLaren at your peril. They may not have the fastest car, but racecraft, strategy and quick reactions always seem to maximise their results.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 11:52 (Ref:891128)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the fact that two of their drivers can win a given race as opposed to Ferrari's one.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 2 Mar 2004, 12:34 (Ref:891155)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
That's hilarious Mattracer. I am no Barichello fan, but I would take him over David "this year is my year" Coulthard any day!

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 2 Mar 2004 at 12:35.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 12:35 (Ref:891156)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, TGF can put Renault and Williams as challengers but Mclaren certainly will put pressure in the game.

On the other hand, TGF is a good mind games player, he thinks Kimi is the best out there after him, so putting him down is part of the game.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 13:37 (Ref:891215)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Boots has a point, cos Macs actually are hard to understand, at this stage: it may appear that their testing season wasn't that brilliant, but nobody will dissuade me from thinking that they may be sandbagging a bit.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 13:59 (Ref:891241)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren may have been disguising their pace, but the reliability problems must surely be real. Sure, they may have timed it just nicely and gotten rid of the gremlins in the last few days of testing - but I doubt it. Even if they have now got it sorted, there is no denying that their testing programme must have been severely disrupted in the process.

If it weren't for the fact that Renault have this odd interim engine, with the truly modern 90degree unit not scheduled until next year, I would be agreeing with Schumacher's analysis - but I can't help feeling that power will once again be lacking for them and the winter testing tracks flatter their car more than a little. They have showed well at Barcelona and Valencia - but neither of those are power circuits, both tending to favour high total downforce and aerodynamic efficiency rather than outright speed. For this reason I don't expect the Renault challenge to be any more consistent over the course of a whole season than the McLaren one - because as the season goes on they will get over their problems, no doubt.

It's a two team race a far as I can judge, with frequent upsets from McLaren, Renault and BAR (although a BAR race win would surprise me). One ting that plays a little into Ferrari's hands is the tyre war, which could mean that at circuits that like the Michelins there will be as many as eight cars with a good chance for the race, whereas when the condiditons favour Bridgestone there really is only one favourite.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 17:03 (Ref:891441)   #10
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also heard rumors that Ferrari are the ones sand-bagging, and that on Friday some aero upgrade is going to be used that has proved to be very efficient - caution just a rumor at the moment we will see on the day. Let battle commence
Old 2 Mar 2004, 17:19 (Ref:891452)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
*shudder*
Old 2 Mar 2004, 17:22 (Ref:891456)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Maclaren will still beat Renault for P3...
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:23 (Ref:891706)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
I think Maclaren will still beat Renault for P3...
I'd agree with that, but I think it will take at least half a season to catch-up.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 22:01 (Ref:891773)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think McLaren will be right up there. It's just MS up to his old verbal tricks again!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 01:44 (Ref:891974)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah ha, its good to hear Schummy talking with confidence again! Makes me realize, that come this weekend, all will be right with the world again!

Take that, all you "Schummy must retire" posters!

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Mar 2004, 02:58 (Ref:892010)   #16
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
That's hilarious Mattracer. I am no Barichello fan, but I would take him over David "this year is my year" Coulthard any day!
Sorry Mr Montoya, can't agree with that, I'd pick Coulthard over Barrichello any day of the week (and twice on Sunday).
Old 3 Mar 2004, 03:42 (Ref:892020)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah.. I'd rate RB above DC.

RB's improving every year and is getting good on MS. However DC seem stagnant and look out of shape with Kimi.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 10:51 (Ref:892210)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
Sorry Mr Montoya, can't agree with that, I'd pick Coulthard over Barrichello any day of the week (and twice on Sunday).
So would I
Old 3 Mar 2004, 11:45 (Ref:892246)   #19
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Over their whole careers, I'd always put DC ahead of Rubens, but I reckon RB is still getting better and it has surprised me how close he has got to Schuey on occasion. It's a tough one to call....Can I pick Rubens on the Saturday and DC on the Sunday!?
Old 3 Mar 2004, 13:44 (Ref:892361)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can guys can pick any of both as much you like at any given day... I take care of the ladies.