Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 May 2022, 18:26 (Ref:4108608)   #1081
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran
 
FIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Netherlands
Posts: 18,130
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Somehow still surprised he has only two titles.
FIRE is offline  
Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 18:27 (Ref:4108609)   #1082
Matt K
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,694
Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably because in the past few years there were two names who prevented him from winning - McLaughlin and Whincup
Matt K is online now  
Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 08:17 (Ref:4108650)   #1083
Casper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,164
Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This idea of boring seems to be an internet thing as it was never a factor pre internet. Maybe the fans are more easily bored than when we had to get our news via magazines and news papers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
All in all, I guess Van Gisbergen will win a few titles in row before someone really challenges him. I'd like to be mistaken, however, as it's quite boring seeing one guy winning over and over again - no matter how impressive that is.
Casper is offline  
Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 13:10 (Ref:4108662)   #1084
Matt K
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,694
Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps it is, the biggest problem in my opinion is that it seems Van Gisbergen really doesn't have a rival. Take McLaughlin's dominance, for instance. There was Whincup racing then, Van Gisbergen as well, the dynamics of DJRTP v Triple 8 really made it much more exciting even if most of the times it was McLaughlin who came up on top.

I may be a bit biased of course as I was a fan of Scotty, whereas I've never particularly liked Triple 8 for whatever reason (despite cheering for SVG from his earliest days in Supercars) so my perception is definitely influenced by that. Nevertheless, I'd like to see someone really challenging Van Giz, at the moment, no one is even close.
Matt K is online now  
Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 18:40 (Ref:4108695)   #1085
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran
 
FIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Netherlands
Posts: 18,130
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Perhaps it is, the biggest problem in my opinion is that it seems Van Gisbergen really doesn't have a rival. Take McLaughlin's dominance, for instance. There was Whincup racing then, Van Gisbergen as well, the dynamics of DJRTP v Triple 8 really made it much more exciting even if most of the times it was McLaughlin who came up on top.

I may be a bit biased of course as I was a fan of Scotty, whereas I've never particularly liked Triple 8 for whatever reason (despite cheering for SVG from his earliest days in Supercars) so my perception is definitely influenced by that. Nevertheless, I'd like to see someone really challenging Van Giz, at the moment, no one is even close.
I agree
FIRE is offline  
Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 06:40 (Ref:4108845)   #1086
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,487
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
This idea of boring seems to be an internet thing as it was never a factor pre internet. Maybe the fans are more easily bored than when we had to get our news via magazines and news papers.
There were plenty of complaints about Skaife domination, albeit in the internet era.

If there were no fan complaints before popularisation of the internet, why was there a campaign to ban Sierras and Skylines and their "boring domination" from the ATCC?!
V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 09:48 (Ref:4108864)   #1087
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Surry Hills, NSW
Posts: 6,184
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
If there were no fan complaints before popularisation of the internet, why was there a campaign to ban Sierras and Skylines and their "boring domination" from the ATCC?!
It's different when all of the teams have an equal technical chance of a victory.

In the Group A era where you had to have the latest car in an unsustainable arms race, there was only one way it was going to go. The R32 GTR was arguably the last product of the famous Japanese bubble era of unlimited budgets.

Unfortunately now if you own one, the spend required to keep all the electrogubbins working is also unlimited.
Mixer is offline  
Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:38 (Ref:4108872)   #1088
chavez
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Posts: 2,730
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
It's different when all of the teams have an equal technical chance of a victory.

In the Group A era where you had to have the latest car in an unsustainable arms race, there was only one way it was going to go. The R32 GTR was arguably the last product of the famous Japanese bubble era of unlimited budgets.

Unfortunately now if you own one, the spend required to keep all the electrogubbins working is also unlimited.
To place this in perspective the final year the ATCC for Group A, 1992 saw Ford win the most races (8), Nissan next with 7, then BMW with 2 and Holden with one victory. It was unbalanced but our memories of the era which recall the GTR winning everything are slightly blurred by the "the GTR was banned" rubbish.

The call for change, whether brought upon by fans or Channel Seven, which ran polls asking their viewers if the rules should be changed to make the Commodore more competitive, was superseded by the fact that Group A was dead (in respect of touring cars) and a replacement formula had to be found.
chavez is offline  
__________________
Real race cars don't have doors.
Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 13:57 (Ref:4108891)   #1089
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,487
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The call for change, whether brought upon by fans or Channel Seven, which ran polls asking their viewers if the rules should be changed to make the Commodore more competitive, was superseded by the fact that Group A was dead (in respect of touring cars) and a replacement formula had to be found.
So why not make more simple rear wheel drive turbo Skylines the key to the replacement formula, retaining the support of this valued manufacturer?

Turbochargers were the future after all, and a Walkinshaw Group 3A Commodore fitted with the boosted six from the Lotus Vauxhall Carlton would presumably have outperformed the pushrod-V8 versions (be it Group A SS or HSV Clubsport) that actually made it to production...

IIRC, the EB Falcon XR6 nearly outperformed the EB Falcon XR8 even without a turbo, so a 1993 version of the Falcon XR6 Turbo racing in Group 3A alongside Group A Sierras would be most logical too.

If need be, the R32 & then R33 Skyline did have a sedan bodystyle too to directly match the Falcon and Commodore, if 4 doors were a priority for the Group 3A regulations. With it being about the same size, there seems no reason not to have a Skyline on the grid in Cochrane's "Straight Six Supercars"?!

Then, as now, there seems to not be sufficient priority placed on catering (pandering?) to non-American auto makers in the ATCC. That Supercars will pay for a Camaro homologation but not pay for a Z homologation makes no sense.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 4 May 2022 at 14:13.
V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 07:08 (Ref:4108942)   #1090
Casper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,164
Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was from the other competitors mainly and once a year at Bathurst. Now it is a never ending whinefest on the internet because someone wins more than two races in succession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
There were plenty of complaints about Skaife domination, albeit in the internet era.

If there were no fan complaints before popularisation of the internet, why was there a campaign to ban Sierras and Skylines and their "boring domination" from the ATCC?!
Casper is offline  
Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 07:30 (Ref:4108944)   #1091
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 16,933
S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes I agree. So what if one driver dominates? As long as there is close competitive racing, it shouldn't matter too much
S griffin is offline  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 11:21 (Ref:4109132)   #1092
Casper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,164
Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes I agree. So what if one driver dominates? As long as there is close competitive racing, it shouldn't matter too much
Yes.
Casper is offline  
Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 03:48 (Ref:4109705)   #1093
Denosaur
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Albania
Australia
Posts: 1,129
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes I agree. So what if one driver dominates? As long as there is close competitive racing, it shouldn't matter too much
I didn't mind Scotty cleaning up all the time, as his head is clearly bolted between shoulder's and not located elsewhere like some other drivers over the course of history. This is where people start to turn off when a drivers personality disappears up the proverbial black hole.

SVG is ok, but lacks that little bit that would make him more palatable or it could just be the team around him that makes everyone feel like that. Which then leads on to, if T8 weren't at the top of pile and SVG was winning, what would peoples opinion be then??
Denosaur is offline  
__________________
It's all about speed! Hot, nasty bad-ass speed!!
Velociraptor Performance Industries
Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 12:34 (Ref:4109743)   #1094
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 16,933
S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Scotty was good for the series, he had a good head on his shoulders. And yes there have been a few whose ego have been unbearable. That's the thing, it's bad enough for the same driver wins all the time, but it's worse if he shows a lack of humility

I like SVG, he's a good character and is exciting to watch and quite good to listen to too. He's been in a good team in T8, but he deserves his success all the same
S griffin is offline  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 7 Jun 2022, 15:45 (Ref:4113424)   #1095
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,487
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No change to Goodyear Eagle tyres from Dunlop Sport Maxx, it seems Goodyear don't have enough motorsport manufacturing capacity in Europe or North America, so manufacturing will stay with Sumitomo in Japan and hence the tyres will continue with Dunlop branding.

https://autoaction.com.au/2022/03/31...-has-blown-out

With the way Dunlop is split between Sumitomo and Goodyear, it seems neither entity is wanting to invest heavily in pushing new Dunlop product in recent years, which is really a shame for the iconic Irish tyre brand.

New Falken and new Goodyear products respectively seem to appear on the market far more frequently than new Dunlop products. A lot of Dunlop products from either company seem to be at least two generations behind the equivalent Falken or Goodyear at this point.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 7 Jun 2022 at 15:51.
V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LMDh (DPi regulations version 2.0) NaBUru38 North American Racing 422 25 Jan 2023 09:34
New F1 Team - Panthers seeking to join grid for 2022 karting Formula One 29 31 Aug 2019 21:57
[WEC] Audi to Return in 2022? rdjones ACO Regulated Series 21 28 Sep 2018 20:23
Gen IV B/Mark IRL Indycar Series 14 22 Jul 2003 04:33


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2021 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2021-2022 Grant MacDonald. All Rights Reserved.