Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 4 Dec 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2347423)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honda's selling ... but who's buying? [HUGE MERGE]

The (usually very credible) site GrandPrix.com is reporting that Honda are going to sell their F1 team - if it is not sold by Christmas then it will be shut down.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21017.html
Old 4 Dec 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2347428)   #2
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a bit of shock news!

You would think that they are about to make a big leap what with having Ross Brawn on board and putting so much effort into the 2009 car, and potentially getting some proper sponsorship if they were to sign Bruno Senna.

Hope its not true.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 4 Dec 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2347430)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh dear - that's curtains for them. Ross Brawn and JB looking for jobs?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2347437)   #4
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Honda's withdrawal is inevitable. Honda spends more than US$500 million a year. Given Honda's performances in the past few years, there's simply no justification for the company to be in Formula 1 any more.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2347453)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will Toyota go next? same reasons..
Old 4 Dec 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2347458)   #6
jonm2
Rookie

United Kingdom
jonm2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow this could be big
Old 4 Dec 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2347471)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly, it looks likely:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=36685
Old 4 Dec 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2347477)   #8
wapomumalo
Rookie

Spain
Galiza
wapomumalo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This news says Honda completely leaving also as engine manucaturer.

I heard last year that Peugeot were applying for an F1 entry or buying Toro Rosso, + keeping the Ferrari engine... rebadged as Peugeot...+ Jean Todt coming back with the Lion.

Maybe this is the last twist to that rumour? Honda says it has Two possible buyers.

Todt-Brawn-Peugeot-Ferrari F1?

And Barrichello an Senna as drivers...

Sounds stonishing...
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2347479)   #9
Naruto
Racer

United States
Philadelphia, PA
Naruto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i never would think they would leave for a while.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2347482)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I truly hope the worst does not happen, but I think it needed something like this to get across to people just how severely the world economic recession is going to hit motorsport, and F1, as the biggest spender, is first in the firing line.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2347485)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow that was faster than I thought !
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:17 (Ref:2347492)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad news if it does happen. Honda have been struggling as a company and have never got great performance or value out of their involvement in F1, so perhaps the timing is logical. The best option for Honda would surely be to remain as an engine supplier, as that gets 90% of the publicity for a fraction of the cost.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2347494)   #13
perfectly_frank
Rookie

perfectly_frank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone suggest a short list of other potential buyers of Honda's F1 programme ?

I dunno;

Prodrive or Campos, maybe?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2347496)   #14
bodgit
Racer

United Kingdom
durham
bodgit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks like Jb won't be driveing next year then
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2347498)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapomumalo

I heard last year that Peugeot were applying for an F1 entry or buying Toro Rosso, + keeping the Ferrari engine... rebadged as Peugeot...+ Jean Todt coming back with the Lion.
I find it highly unlikely that Peugeot will enter F1, they allready have their hands full with their LMP programme. I seriously doubt they will drop a car that is only 1 year old, particularly when they are doing so well in the LMS and at Le Mans, and to be honest I cant see Peugeot doing both F1 and Sportscars.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2347499)   #16
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sky news is reporting that they are pulling out with immediate effect
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2347501)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I truly hope the worst does not happen, but I think it needed something like this to get across to people just how severely the world economic recession is going to hit motorsport, and F1, as the biggest spender, is first in the firing line.
100% correct. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The global auto industry is in complete meltdown. I would not be surprised if most of the auto companies have relinquished their interest in F1 by Q2 next year.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:23 (Ref:2347503)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Given the circumstances of Honda's (rumoured) departure, it is unlikely that another car manufacture will take over the reigns.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2347507)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Honda do pull out, then I think the most likely scenario is that we will be two cars short next year. I cannot see anyone stepping up and buying the team in these economic times, and at this late stage.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2347508)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Given the circumstances of Honda's (rumoured) departure, it is unlikely that another car manufacture will take over the reigns.
More likely is Toyota to follow suit...
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2347509)   #21
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It's early days, but we could be on the verge of a dramatic winter in F1.

If teams pull out and buyers aren't found then we may see the grandees entering teams of 3 cars or more, or alternatively, teams from outside F1 being invited to run customer cars.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2347514)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtymutt
sky news is reporting that they are pulling out with immediate effect
Quite right.........unfortunately.

No news from the FOTA meeting yet either.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2347516)   #23
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why test Senna and Di Grassi tho and go to all the trouble signing Brawn, as much as i think alot of teams should pull out of F1 due to it not being viable this doesn't stack up.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2347520)   #24
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
This decision will have come from the Honda motor company, not the F1 team.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2347521)   #25
EdLeake
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
EdLeake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same with most top level descisions, they are kept quiet until the last minute and then dropped from the top like a bomb.
Closed Thread

Tags
barrichello, brawn, button, fry, honda