Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Dec 2015, 16:00 (Ref:3595915)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Class 1 Touring Cars

I read somewhere that both BMW and Audi built prototypes for Class 1 in the DTM in 1993. Does anyone know if this is true, and, if so, have any more details?
Old 6 Dec 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3595919)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I read somewhere that both BMW and Audi built prototypes for Class 1 in the DTM in 1993. Does anyone know if this is true, and, if so, have any more details?
There are plenty of pictures of the Audi on the internet.... Google is your friend. Not too sure about the bimmer, might have been an intermediary/modified Gr.A car like the first C-class?
Old 6 Dec 2015, 16:52 (Ref:3595924)   #3
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's the Audi:

The only BMW I know that comes close is this one, but that was a private effort (Lindner):

Then in 1994 there was this one, also privateer. I don't know if it was an evolution of the Lindner one or a new effort?

There are also stories that the BMW E36 GTR was originally developed for DTM, only to be 'relocated' to GT-racing later. I never found confirmation for that story though:

Last edited by Bramzel; 6 Dec 2015 at 17:02. Reason: new pics found
Old 6 Dec 2015, 16:56 (Ref:3595925)   #4
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also found this picture while looking for the images above. Seems to be a early prototype for the C-Class DTM, it's much more understated than the version that ran in 1994. Does anybody know the story behind it?

Old 6 Dec 2015, 17:29 (Ref:3595927)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Great looking cars.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3595928)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The Audi looked really good. What a shame they didn't push ahead with a factory team.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 18:08 (Ref:3595935)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
I also found this picture while looking for the images above. Seems to be a early prototype for the C-Class DTM, it's much more understated than the version that ran in 1994. Does anybody know the story behind it?

With these dark tinted windows it looks more like a mockup car.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 20:33 (Ref:3595957)   #8
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were two of those Audi chassies made, one is in the Audi museum and the other one is in Sweden (or atleast was a coupe of years ago) in private hands.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3595972)   #9
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This is an actual BMW Motorsport prototype of a class 1 E36.
Old 7 Dec 2015, 11:44 (Ref:3596118)   #10
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Awesome, I've never seem that image before!
Old 7 Dec 2015, 12:31 (Ref:3596122)   #11
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although I'm very glad Audi and BMW went the Supertouring way, being two of the absolute top manufacturers and undoubtedly the two who drove STW up to the level it was at, I cant stop thinking how DTM and ITC would have looked had they both decided to go Class 1 racing instead.
Old 7 Dec 2015, 14:03 (Ref:3596141)   #12
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Although I'm very glad Audi and BMW went the Supertouring way, being two of the absolute top manufacturers and undoubtedly the two who drove STW up to the level it was at, I cant stop thinking how DTM and ITC would have looked had they both decided to go Class 1 racing instead.
And if France had stayed on board... might have given the whole thing a bit more stability.
Old 7 Dec 2015, 16:49 (Ref:3596161)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Proper touring cars.
Old 11 Dec 2015, 17:54 (Ref:3597130)   #14
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post

This is an actual BMW Motorsport prototype of a class 1 E36.
I think this was also the basis of the BMW Art car of Sandro Chia
http://www.bmwartcarcollection.com/2...-bmw-art-car/#

Old 13 Dec 2015, 09:52 (Ref:3597464)   #15
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more pics of the BMW

This test car had the S14 M3 E30 engine.

Last edited by Pettersson; 13 Dec 2015 at 10:12.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 19:33 (Ref:3608794)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
With these dark tinted windows it looks more like a mockup car.
When I spoke to Stuttgart in late '93 or early '94 there was a serious chance Mercedes would build a Class 2 car.
Whether this was to compete head on with BMW and Audi or a wind up I don't know?
Old 29 Jan 2016, 09:56 (Ref:3609004)   #17
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
When I spoke to Stuttgart in late '93 or early '94 there was a serious chance Mercedes would build a Class 2 car.
Whether this was to compete head on with BMW and Audi or a wind up I don't know?
Would they build a supertouring Mercedes or did they actually build one? Because I've also heard rumours that Mercedes did actually build a class 2 prototype. Now I doubt that Mercedes would have built a car just to race in STW, as STW just didn't have quite the reputation of DTM. But I would have always thought that BTCC in the 90's would have been a nice playground for Mercedes. However, after the end of the ITC, Mercedes' then-chairman clearly said that a brand such as Mercedes shouldn't run alongside these "tin boxes". A shame and one reason while I don't particularly like Mercedes' racing division.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 15:19 (Ref:3609049)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
But when the ITC folded they built the beautiful CLK-GTR, so I can't criticise too much. Would have been nice to have seen a Super Touring C-Class, though - anyone have any more info?
Old 29 Jan 2016, 17:53 (Ref:3609092)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Would they build a supertouring Mercedes or did they actually build one? Because I've also heard rumours that Mercedes did actually build a class 2 prototype. Now I doubt that Mercedes would have built a car just to race in STW, as STW just didn't have quite the reputation of DTM. But I would have always thought that BTCC in the 90's would have been a nice playground for Mercedes. However, after the end of the ITC, Mercedes' then-chairman clearly said that a brand such as Mercedes shouldn't run alongside these "tin boxes". A shame and one reason while I don't particularly like Mercedes' racing division.
Indeed, the 'repmobile' racing didn't fit Merc's image at the time. I think Wolfgang Schattling who was the Motorsport Press guy at the time (how his career grew!) intimated as such.

Today it would be different.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3609101)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
However, after the end of the ITC, Mercedes' then-chairman clearly said that a brand such as Mercedes shouldn't run alongside these "tin boxes". A shame and one reason while I don't particularly like Mercedes' racing division.
That arrogance is one of the reasons I don't really like Mercedes.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 19:25 (Ref:3609122)   #21
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Indeed, the 'repmobile' racing didn't fit Merc's image at the time. I think Wolfgang Schattling who was the Motorsport Press guy at the time (how his career grew!) intimated as such.

Today it would be different.

Funny you should mention Wolfgang Schattling - he retires from Mercedes this weekend!
Old 29 Jan 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3609129)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Is it the 1993 Prodrive BTCC entry you guys are thinking of? It was supposed to do a few races towards the end of the year with Tim Sugden driving, but as you say Mercedes weren't a fan of Class 2
Old 30 Jan 2016, 17:16 (Ref:3609298)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Is it the 1993 Prodrive BTCC entry you guys are thinking of? It was supposed to do a few races towards the end of the year with Tim Sugden driving, but as you say Mercedes weren't a fan of Class 2
No, this would have been a works entry in 1994 or 1995, although DR could well have been courting Benz at the same time as Alfa😉
Old 31 Jan 2016, 17:20 (Ref:3610098)   #24
thorsten247
Rookie

thorsten247 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Hello! It's correct, Mercedes build a Class II Showcar and also a race engine. In the beginning of 1993, AMG build a Class II-Engine and later in the year they presented the engine and a showcar based on the C-Class (W202) to Helmut Werner, chairman of Mercedes.

But Mercedes say no to the Showcar and yes to continue the Class 1 programme.

Greetings, Thorsten
Old 31 Jan 2016, 22:02 (Ref:3610321)   #25
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten247 View Post
Hello! It's correct, Mercedes build a Class II Showcar and also a race engine. In the beginning of 1993, AMG build a Class II-Engine and later in the year they presented the engine and a showcar based on the C-Class (W202) to Helmut Werner, chairman of Mercedes.

But Mercedes say no to the Showcar and yes to continue the Class 1 programme.

Greetings, Thorsten
That's certainly interesting to hear. It also fits with the "tin boxes" statement Jürgen Schrempp made later on after the end of the ITC. As I've said: It's too bad that Mercedes seems to avoid production-based touring car racing at all costs. The CLA AMG for example would fit very well into TCR or even TC1. While I can understand that Mercedes wants to have some sort of works racing program in their home country, I can't understand with manufacturers with a large tradition of touring car racing (That goes to all current DTM manufacturers) are avoiding a touring car world championship at the moment. But that's for another topic...