Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Aug 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2269051)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[STCC] Race 7 - Gelleråsen (SWE), 17 August 2008

The Swedish Touring Car Championship returns after the summerbreak of five weeks at Gelleråsen. This is the second time this year the STCC visits the track.

Last year Richard Göransson won the second Gelleråsen race ahead of reigning champion Fredrik Ekblom and his team mate Robin Rudholm. The race this weekend seems to be a wet one as several low pressures are passing Sweden at the moment.

Who will win? Ekblom again? Göransson? Björk in the lightened Honda? Andersson in the fast Alfa?
Old 14 Aug 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2269088)   #2
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope for an Alfa or Volvo win! They both deserve it.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2270465)   #3
JRM
Rookie

Sweden
Töcksfors
JRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.stcc.se/451/?no_cache=1&t...ace_uid%5D=364

2 X Volvo in front of the grid
Old 17 Aug 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2270570)   #4
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Björk wins, Ekblom second, Göransson third.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2594

"I've never had to concentrate this hard during a race before. It is a great feeling to win on your home track," said a very happy Björk after the race.

Very messy start, onboard video of it coming tomorrow.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2270622)   #5
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No surprise on the incidents in the first turn. It's been like that since they redesigned it a few years ago; it's just dumb, you always gets first lap incidents there.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2271436)   #6
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Full Superbike, Carrera Cup and STCC race videos.

http://www.svt.se/svt/road/Classic/s...217562&d=68520
Old 19 Aug 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2271552)   #7
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Here is the onboard video showing, among other things, the messy start:

http://www.flashengineering.se/2008/...pa-gellerasen/
Old 19 Aug 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2271840)   #8
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Did anyone at the track see the incident between the Volvo and Mattias Andersson? The STCC web page erroneously claims that he lost his rear bumper in the kerfuffle in the first corner, but he had it when he came out of the pits in front of the Volvos. One lap later he was behind one of them, rear bumper missing.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2272185)   #9
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And anyone know what happend to Engström? All of a sudden he was on the grass with a rear wheel missing and the commentators didnt even notice it.

Good race tho, and good results for both Volvo and Andersson (who was my instructor at a track-day the weekend before btw).
Old 20 Aug 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2272249)   #10
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
And anyone know what happend to Engström? All of a sudden he was on the grass with a rear wheel missing and the commentators didnt even notice it.

Good race tho, and good results for both Volvo and Andersson (who was my instructor at a track-day the weekend before btw).
He was on his out lap when he lost his right rear (which ended up on the outside of the corner - it was there all race with no one thinking about removing it). He only got half way around so I assume it wasn't bolted on properly or that there was something wrong with one or several wheel nuts. The pit stop itself was about four seconds longer than it should have been. I could rant about the commentators (again), but I won't. Blink of a pig's eye? Oh my ****ing god.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 05:03 (Ref:2273108)   #11
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
He only got half way around so I assume it wasn't bolted on properly or that there was something wrong with one or several wheel nuts. The pit stop itself was about four seconds longer than it should have been.
In any case it still seems weird, because on a FWD car they wouldn't have touched the rear wheels unless he had a puncture (and +4s wouldn't be enough to replace both front and rear wheels).

Quote:
I could rant about the commentators (again), but I won't. Blink of a pig's eye? Oh my ****ing god.
Yeah, we unfortunately don't have very many experienced motor sports commentators, partially i assume because of traditionally appallingly bad motorsports coverage (apart from rally and speedway). Though did earlier this year hear a really skilled guy on tv4 sport as extra commentator on a DTM race. It was clear from his voice and the things he said and details he noticed that he was a young current racing driver. He sure had natural commentator skills good enough to replace any current commentator, but I guess he is busy driving himself most weekends. Never caught his name though as I missed the start of the TVshow (and the email i sent to TV4 was never replied to).
Old 22 Aug 2008, 06:35 (Ref:2273130)   #12
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
In any case it still seems weird, because on a FWD car they wouldn't have touched the rear wheels unless he had a puncture (and +4s wouldn't be enough to replace both front and rear wheels).
A quick look on the Honda Racing web page saves us the trouble! Broken wheel bearing. As it was on his out lap I had just sort of assumed it had something to do with the pit stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Yeah, we unfortunately don't have very many experienced motor sports commentators, partially i assume because of traditionally appallingly bad motorsports coverage (apart from rally and speedway). Though did earlier this year hear a really skilled guy on tv4 sport as extra commentator on a DTM race. It was clear from his voice and the things he said and details he noticed that he was a young current racing driver. He sure had natural commentator skills good enough to replace any current commentator, but I guess he is busy driving himself most weekends. Never caught his name though as I missed the start of the TVshow (and the email i sent to TV4 was never replied to).
That was Alx Danielsson, and yes he was very good indeed. And he hasn't been that busy this season (has he raced at all?). But I wouldn't put him in the booth for STCC, better to keep him for things he's raced and knows well. It's not difficult to put togeather a good commentating team up in the booth. Have Thomas Nilsson (on-track PA commentator) replace Budda and Bo "Emma" Emmanuelsson replace Krokström as the expert.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2273179)   #13
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
So, how do we put forward the idea to replace everybody currently commentating on SVT in a nice way? And who will take over on track PA? Im sure the on track crowds will storm the building if they put somebody bad into his chair.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2273203)   #14
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just saw the Flash-video on youtube. Clearly teamorders are in place at westcoast. When Goranson got out of the pits, he was passed by Bjork quikly after. The 2 then became stuck behind a very slow driving Rudholm, who let Bjork pass easily, but then blocked Goranson very hard a few times. Clearly WC is more afraid of Goranson.
The fact that Ekblom is the only top-driver who has a teammate capable of running in the thick of the fight makes him the favorite for the title, as ofcourse is his lead.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2273242)   #15
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
While I agree that having a teammate at the front is advantage to Ekblom, I'm not completely convinced you interpreted the above situation correctly.

After all Björk pretty much pulled off the same move on Göransson the lap before. Coming out of the pits you just have so much lower speed than somebody coming down the straight that overtaking is almost unavoidable if you are close enough. Göransson to me just seemed to be too far behind, and once Robin got up to speed, he for sure isn't too far off the pace making him hard to pass with the same car.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2273284)   #16
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
I just saw the Flash-video on youtube. Clearly teamorders are in place at westcoast. When Goranson got out of the pits, he was passed by Bjork quikly after. The 2 then became stuck behind a very slow driving Rudholm, who let Bjork pass easily, but then blocked Goranson very hard a few times. Clearly WC is more afraid of Goranson.
The fact that Ekblom is the only top-driver who has a teammate capable of running in the thick of the fight makes him the favorite for the title, as ofcourse is his lead.
It wasn't Rudholm they caught up with after the pitstop, it was Ekblom.

Göransson was unable to pass him as he had problems with the car, well, not sure if Ekblom would have enabled him to get past even if he didn't have the problems though...

But Göransson got 7 mm more toe out on his front wheels after the first corner incident which led to his car not performing as it should.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2273483)   #17
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just saw the complete race, and indeed I was wrong. Altogether it was a nice race, although the first half was a bit processional. But the Volvo's with their fantastic qualifyingpace and -drivers at the front held the first 5 nicely together with their higher tyrewear. If Volvo and Anderson didn't mess up their pitstops they could have made life more difficult for the 3 championshiprivals, so that was a shame.
Great race of Bjork, faultless and 1 very good passingmanouvre at just the right time. Ekblom did good to defend and later run away from Goranson. The rest of the field is really just 1 level lower.