Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Feb 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2120708)   #51
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mind it either!
Has it been in a wind tunnel? Some of the styled body parts might give way to the tunnel figures before it gets onto the Mulsanne.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2120756)   #52
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I don't mind it either!
Has it been in a wind tunnel? Some of the styled body parts might give way to the tunnel figures before it gets onto the Mulsanne.
"Wind tunnel development (full scale) was carried out at the famous Saint-Cyr wind tunnel, just outside of Paris."
Old 4 Feb 2008, 14:34 (Ref:2120764)   #53
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Serves me right for trying to read the French site

Thanks.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 14:42 (Ref:2120769)   #54
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't understand why somebody don't like the F1 style. I think its always amazing what designers draw and built and find new aerodynamic ways within the rules.
Formula 1 is the top of aerodynamic research with wind tunnel work 7 days a week and 24 hours a day. Of course I don't want these overkill in sportscar racing. But why not taking some ideas?

Markus
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2120776)   #55
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer
I don't understand why somebody don't like the F1 style. I think its always amazing what designers draw and built and find new aerodynamic ways within the rules.
Formula 1 is the top of aerodynamic research with wind tunnel work 7 days a week and 24 hours a day. Of course I don't want these overkill in sportscar racing. But why not taking some ideas?

Markus
Ultimately it doesn't bother me a second that the cars look like they do. Historically regulations have gotten tighter, they've never been opened up. And I detest the idea of the ACO tightening down the chassis rules because of the way the cars look. That's a poor reason for new rules IMHO.

But that the cars look "F1-esque" is purely coincidental. The flow field on a F1 car has nothing to do with what's going on with a sportscar. Think about it, a monoposto with large tires in the free air stream vs. a closed body car... That similar ideas work is coincidence, nothing more. So the direction we've come from is form following function. If the ACO doesn't like the direction, then I suggest something radical...open up the regulations. Because the engineers have only gone the routes they have because of the diminishing returns of more conventional ideas. If the chassis regulations were more open I'd like to think that you'd see more aero "profitable" conventional ideas.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2120788)   #56
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello Mike,

you are absolutly right that a formula car doesn't have the same aerodynamic
as a sportscar. At the F1 the wheels influenzend the airstream and many parts are there to clean the turbulences. If we look at the complex shaped barde boards, the flip-ups and so on.
But the WR have definitly a sidepode shape influenzend by the sidepods seen in F1 ( the undercut and the vents).
I don't know everything in the rule book, but why not try a complexer shaped rear wing or front splitter ( like the acura)

I think the rules we have are o.k. though I don't like the " standard diffusor".
But I really don't want to see ridiculous streetwise prototypes like in 1998.

Best regards

Markus
Old 4 Feb 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2120845)   #57
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
might be wishful thinking, but I'd be very interested to hear what Mr Elleray thought of it........but I must say it looks likre a real racey piece of kit, and there is clearly some fresh thinking involved which I'm sure will influence other designs.............and for the first time in quite a while, WR have a proven engine.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 10:44 (Ref:2144818)   #58
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
WR disappointed on missing out on a Le Mans entry this year, but 2009 could be the year of the 'Diester' (Racecar Engineering).
Old 5 Mar 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2145060)   #59
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the decision of ACO not inviting them for the race should have been a big hammer on their head me guess...
Old 11 May 2008, 05:52 (Ref:2198618)   #60
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
# 37 WR crash at Spa with Salini Philippe

pictures, but what caused it?

http://translate.google.com/translat...e.php?sid=5555

during practice

http://www.planetlemans.com/2008/05/...actice-report/
Old 11 May 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2199532)   #61
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What caused it? Being a WR, probably. It looks so different, but it doesn't seem to have worked.
Old 11 May 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2199537)   #62
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
They should have modified their old chassis ..... at least it might have finished .

Im real disapointed with WR , I was expecting some great efforts from them ..... its just sad !!!
Old 12 May 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2199994)   #63
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it'ben very poor indeed, and let's not forget the engine is a Zytek which is performing well at other cars...
Old 12 May 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2200248)   #64
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I suspect it's a combination of gentleman drivers, an unsorted car, and quite possibly a couple of developmental blind alleys they might have gone down.

I have, however, like many others, been deeply disappointed that we haven't seen a handier turn of speed from WR. When the car first appeared it looked fast, and with a Zytek motor there shouldn't be any worries in the horsepower front.

Sadly though, I suspect they're caught in the trap whereby they'd need front line drivers to push development, but in the absence of reasonable results (or even the prospect thereof) there's little chance of them coming along.
Old 13 May 2008, 02:40 (Ref:2200649)   #65
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Not getting the LeMans entry has to have really hurt from a support standpoint, since they had what seemed like French industry support in past efforts.

They are a plucky little team, I hope they survive and pick up some speed.
Old 13 May 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2200877)   #66
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
I suspect it's a combination of gentleman drivers, an unsorted car, and quite possibly a couple of developmental blind alleys they might have gone down.

I have, however, like many others, been deeply disappointed that we haven't seen a handier turn of speed from WR. When the car first appeared it looked fast, and with a Zytek motor there shouldn't be any worries in the horsepower front.

Sadly though, I suspect they're caught in the trap whereby they'd need front line drivers to push development, but in the absence of reasonable results (or even the prospect thereof) there's little chance of them coming along.
I think you're right about that- I suspect a couple of good tests with an experienced pro driver would make a lot of difference in sorting the car. I don't think the Salini brothers have a great deal of experience?
Old 2 Apr 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2665423)   #67
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Great great great !!!!!! Welter Racing in LMP1 with a "Peugeot" V8 HDI in 2011(they officially work on it)
Old 2 Apr 2010, 15:05 (Ref:2665452)   #68
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12 View Post
Great great great !!!!!! Welter Racing in LMP1 with a "Peugeot" V8 HDI in 2011(they officially work on it)
That's the Peugeot V8 in a WR chassis. Right? That's the way it seemed to read to me.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2666055)   #69
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
In fact it'll be a WR made V8 Diesel using 80% part of Peugeot machinery

By the way, WR is aiming to sale their new LMP1 to customers in 2011
Old 3 Apr 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2666062)   #70
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is that a sign Pug is stepping back from being a factory team or will they be selling/sourcing their engine from outside the team?
Old 4 Apr 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2666622)   #71
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Is that a sign Pug is stepping back from being a factory team or will they be selling/sourcing their engine from outside the team?
Not Really...

Gérad Welter was (i thing he still is) the Head of the Design Department of Peugeot SA, and the WR (or the ancient WM in the 80's) all have the looks taken from Peugeot. They have raced with Peugeot engines, but there wasn´t a real effort from Peugeot. Some say (don't know how much of it is true) that in the 80's Peugeot used WM to prepare the assoult on Le Mans in the 90's.

Peugeot will provide engines to Oreca for their new Oreca 02 in 2011 (diesel or not, it seems not decided yet) but i would not bet that Peugeot is preparing to step out Le Mans in the next years...

The WR 'Peugeot' engine is being made from production engines from Peugeot, but there is not a Peugeot involvement on that project.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2667112)   #72
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anything been conformed with ORECA and Peugeot?

Could it not be just as likely Oreca become a customer Peugeot team?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2667166)   #73
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Has anything been conformed with ORECA and Peugeot?
Could it not be just as likely Oreca become a customer Peugeot team?
Yes it has JAG.
When the Oreca-Peugeot deal was announced, Hugues de Chaunac revealed that the new Oreca 02 for 2011 will be power by Peugeot. If as 'customer team' you are referring to the complete package (car+engine) it doesn't seems so...

the press-release (in french)
Old 1 Dec 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2798130)   #74
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
News from yesterday, on Endurance-Info...WR stays in LMP2 in 2011 but with own engine instead of Zytek(at LMS and Le Mans if accepted by ACO)
Old 1 Dec 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2798158)   #75
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12 View Post
News from yesterday, on Endurance-Info...WR stays in LMP2 in 2011 but with own engine instead of Zytek(at LMS and Le Mans if accepted by ACO)
But unfortunately not the diesel - yet