Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 1 Oct 2012, 14:47 (Ref:3144662)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Drink Le Mans 2012 DVD/BR (Duke)

Temporarily here for the Le Mans nuts before I move it to Armchair.

We've mentioned this in passing in other threads but I thought it deserved a decicated one.

I've just sat down and watched all 4 hours in one sitting. Same format as 2011 (thank goodness) topped and tailed by Tate and co with RLM commentary in the middle. I'd prefer RLM throughout, personally. Nowhere enough Trussers and I don't even recall hearing Hindy at all.... Perhaps I just missed him (although that sounds impossible!).

Good footage of the race - in fact, that's really all you get. 2 minutes of qually highlights, 10 minutes (if that) of build-up and then 3 hours 45 mins of the race. In a word - Terrific! Just what it should be - the best of the race with no arty-farty stuff to water it down.

An essential buy for anyone who was there and anyone else who follows this greatest of motor races....
Old 1 Oct 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3144691)   #2
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Good footage of the race - in fact, that's really all you get. 2 minutes of qually highlights, 10 minutes (if that) of build-up and then 3 hours 45 mins of the race. In a word - Terrific! Just what it should be - the best of the race with no arty-farty stuff to water it down.
Good. That's the way I like it. Although 30 minutes qualifying and 3h30mins of race would have been slightly better.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3144715)   #3
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good stuff glad to see they haven't messed with the format. Really looking forward to picking up the Blu-Ray.

Wouldn't ever want to complain about the new package, yet a few more mins about qually might not go amiss. For example in the last edition it didn't even mention the incidents Audi had with the #3 car.

But the race is what really matters and it's so brilliant to finally get that after review DVDs which seemed like an annual contest in how much you could take the p**s out of the fans.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3144831)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must admit I didn't really miss the qually footage.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3145873)   #5
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Ayse!
Old 6 Oct 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3147175)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Blu-Ray is edging tantalisingly closer. Pre-ordered it so hopefully it might arrive a touch early.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3147180)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I can't believe I'm still the only one here to have watched this?
Old 6 Oct 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3147241)   #8
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Waiting for the BD Ayse!
Old 7 Oct 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3147572)   #9
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Saving it for when I've a clear run at the telly, and to be honest it feels all wrong to have the LM24 review disc before Petit...
Old 9 Oct 2012, 20:34 (Ref:3149039)   #10
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
I've now pre-ordered the BD, but i fear i'll first receive it in the beginning of December :/ (ordered at Amazon)
Old 14 Oct 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3151827)   #11
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hoping to get a review out there tomorrow eve. Should be getting this in the post to watch after work all being well.

Apparently there is a Blu-Ray alternate ending where Toyota win
Old 14 Oct 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3151830)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, that's the 2013 sequel.......
Old 15 Oct 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3152059)   #13
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
No, that's the 2013 sequel.......
Waiting for that one!
Old 15 Oct 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3152492)   #14
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I've had it on about 10mins and I already love it. Was definitely worth holding out for the Blu-Ray.

I'd forgotten about Strakka's nightmare start - what a body blow that was. And that blatant jump start from Lotterer
Old 15 Oct 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3152497)   #15
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I've had it on about 10mins and I already love it. Was definitely worth holding out for the Blu-Ray.

I'd forgotten about Strakka's nightmare start - what a body blow that was. And that blatant jump start from Lotterer
Dammit, now the 1,5 months became even longer
Old 22 Oct 2012, 12:19 (Ref:3155844)   #16
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
So yeah finally managed to watch this through a week after I got it.

If you haven't bought it yet then why not!?

Same approach as last year's review and it's just perfect. It actually benefits from increased sections of RLM comms which makes you feel even more like you are back there.

The way it covers off all the little spins, incidents and accidents is just perfect and you get the stories of so many of the entrants - which is really what I love about the race. Every car has a story.

Managed to see a couple of things I hadn't caught before in there too. Mostly from when I was nodding off at Arnage on Sunday morning.

Loved it! Thank you to Duke - let's keep this format going. I will have nearly burnt out the disc from repeat viewings before next June.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3155851)   #17
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
So yeah finally managed to watch this through a week after I got it.

If you haven't bought it yet then why not!?

Same approach as last year's review and it's just perfect. It actually benefits from increased sections of RLM comms which makes you feel even more like you are back there.

The way it covers off all the little spins, incidents and accidents is just perfect and you get the stories of so many of the entrants - which is really what I love about the race. Every car has a story.

Managed to see a couple of things I hadn't caught before in there too. Mostly from when I was nodding off at Arnage on Sunday morning.

Loved it! Thank you to Duke - let's keep this format going. I will have nearly burnt out the disc from repeat viewings before next June.
Hows the quality of picture and sound?, anything that can impress on high def home cinema?
Old 22 Oct 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3155857)   #18
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Picture quality is really nice.

I'm not really an expert on what constitutes good sound. I haven't got any speakers set up. You've always got the comms over the top so I suppose it's always going to be a bit of a compromise.

One thing I'd just remembered - which is more of a comment on Le Mans coverage - is HOW do these expert commentators routinely fail to recognise where an incident has taken place? Even in broad daylight!

They are all guilty of it, and many of them have been attending the race for as many years as I've been alive.

There really aren't that many corners at Le Mans. Surely I can't be the only person to spot this.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3155867)   #19
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Picture quality is really nice.

I'm not really an expert on what constitutes good sound. I haven't got any speakers set up. You've always got the comms over the top so I suppose it's always going to be a bit of a compromise.

One thing I'd just remembered - which is more of a comment on Le Mans coverage - is HOW do these expert commentators routinely fail to recognise where an incident has taken place? Even in broad daylight!

They are all guilty of it, and many of them have been attending the race for as many years as I've been alive.

There really aren't that many corners at Le Mans. Surely I can't be the only person to spot this.
Noticed the same thing last year, but the main commentators there was unfortunately danish, and the commentators here are rarely knowledgable about what series they follow, as they have to follow ALL sports!
Old 22 Oct 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3155873)   #20
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Noticed the same thing last year, but the main commentators there was unfortunately danish, and the commentators here are rarely knowledgable about what series they follow, as they have to follow ALL sports!
Yes, you can't expect that the same guy who comments on Darts or Figureskating, knows the difference between Mulsanne or Tertre Rouge!
Too bad, but that's the way it is!
Old 22 Oct 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3155880)   #21
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Yes, you can't expect that the same guy who comments on Darts or Figureskating, knows the difference between Mulsanne or Tertre Rouge!
Too bad, but that's the way it is!
Indeed.
Thankfully Aslak Vind does a bit of commentating, however i do not know how much it is.

But RLM should know the difference between the corners at La Sarthe!
Old 22 Oct 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3156086)   #22
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Woho!, just saw that Amazon has shipped my Blu-Ray earlier than expected, and i can now expect it in my mailbox in 7 days time!
Old 23 Oct 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3156492)   #23
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Things have definitely improved on the track recognition part from days of old. I remember in the 1998 review, the commentator managed to get the Dunlop and Ford Chicanes muddled up.

The one that really annoys me, and many parties are guilty of this, is the difference between the Mulsanne straight and the run down to Indianapolis. You can't spin on the grass on the Mulsanne, as there isn't any! I remeber wanting to throw my remote control at the telly when it took best part of 20 minutes for the Eurosport commentators to notice Rockenfeller hadn't crashed on the Mulsanne straight.

I'm going to have to wait till Christmas to get my copy, a poor student like me can't afford Le Mans DVDs
Old 25 Oct 2012, 12:00 (Ref:3157425)   #24
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
I finally received it!
Sitting and re-watching my first Le Mans right now!
Old 26 Oct 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3158167)   #25
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Having watched the full 4 hours yesterday, I can only say that i'm happy to have bought the Blu-Ray over the DVD (which is included in the BD). Especially the flaming 458 3hours in, looked spectacular in 1080p!