Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 12 Feb 2007, 16:40 (Ref:1839510)   #26
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks James. Mine is the square multiplug. Perhaps if it works we can work something out.
Steve
Old 12 Feb 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1839656)   #27
JHMotorsport
Rookie

JHMotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll PM you to work out the details

James
Old 14 Feb 2007, 20:42 (Ref:1841606)   #28
terje
Rookie

United Kingdom
In two-part foam
terje should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ian/Bob,

Thanks for your help so far. I've been in contact with Mr Kotis and he and his son are very interested. I was wondering if you have had anymore contact with him?
Old 15 Feb 2007, 08:28 (Ref:1841934)   #29
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No i have not heard from him nicky, I just gave him your details & that was that. Have you got any definate drivers yet? is Bill running with you?
Old 15 Feb 2007, 09:08 (Ref:1841960)   #30
terje
Rookie

United Kingdom
In two-part foam
terje should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing concrete as yet. Not sure about Bill, we haven't much from him since 2005 to be honest. Paul was helping him with his winter rebuild but when he decided not to race in 2006 work stopped and that was the last we heard. Hopefull he has managed to put it back together correctly!
Old 16 Feb 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1842957)   #31
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much is a FR2000 and what are running costs like?

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 16 Feb 2007, 11:41 (Ref:1843059)   #32
ADEE
Racer

England
Harpenden
ADEE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you should be able to pick one up inside £20k. as for running costs that's very open ended. some of the front runners last year were spending ££££s. Day-to-day it shouldn't be too bad but parts is the issue - there is one supplier & so monopolisitc pricing applies & the BARC rules do not allow 'home made' bits on the carbon cars.

Now i'm sure the pearsons etc. will be able to give more detail...
Old 16 Feb 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1843067)   #33
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, we are not experts on the carbon cars, we don't run them. Adee has just about covered the reasons why we don't run them in his reply. The other major issue is that engines are also from a single supply, so if you are like us and well capable of building your own engine you have to pay a fortune to someone who is not the least bit interested in how good it turns out to do what you would have taken great care over !!
Unfortunately that seems to be the way motorsport is moving now, this creation of a long line of people queuing to get their hands in your wallett while hiding behind the pretence of a *level playing field for the competitors"

I'll put my soapbox away, I suspect no-one wanted to hear all that.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1845563)   #34
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Thanks for that I want to continue to run my own car(s) (FFZetec & FF1600) so this is not the way to go.

Assume the 1700 FF chassis type cars are much cheaper but in decline? What are engines tyres and parts like on these I know what Mygale parts cost! And tyre bill to run in FFZetec was mad.

Was thinking may be about BARC Classic (pre84?) FF2000 in 2008. But racing a new Ray FF1600 does seem like going back to the dark ages!

Old 19 Feb 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1845568)   #35
ianpearson
Racer

the 1700 class is long gone, the club class of BARC Formula renault is made up of 2 litre 8v cars with an LD200 gearbox for chassis built between 1995 & 1999, formally know as formula renault sport cars. If anything this class is on the up for 2007 & the cars are much cheaper than an FR2000. You could pick up last years club class winner for less than some classis RF82 van diemen FF2000, this car was at times only 0.5 sec of the overall pole position
Old 19 Feb 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1845572)   #36
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Ray,
I think you may be a bit misinformed. The 1700's were dropped as part of the BARC Formula some years ago, about 5 I think. The Club class is made up of 2 litre spaceframed cars from 1995 - 1999, the championship class is the Fr2000's, the carbon cars. Having raced the 1700's and the several of the 1995-1999 cars I can say on good evidence that the current club class cars are vastly superior to the old 1700's, and if you are thinking of a cost effective slicks and wings formula where you are allowed to do all your own work it is well worth a look. With Renault's prize money system it is easy to pick up enough money to make it comparitively cheap racing.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 15:23 (Ref:1845573)   #37
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Perhaps we should start talking to each other Ian, sorry about the two pronged reply Ray
Old 19 Feb 2007, 15:37 (Ref:1845582)   #38
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Thanks, seem like well worth a look.

Are people using loads of new rubber or doing a couple of meetings on a set?

John (Ray FF being my car)

Old 19 Feb 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1845595)   #39
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Assume a late TATUUS 98 or 99 is the car to have?

John

Old 19 Feb 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1845615)   #40
ianpearson
Racer

I have used 3 sets of new slicks per year for the last 2 seasons, my wets have done two seasons but you really should have a new set each year. The slicks are quite durable, i'll do about four races on a set, my dad will then do another four races on that set then we will use them for testing. The tyres will lose about 1 second per lap throughout that cycle. A Tatuus really is the car to have, the 98 99's are stiffer & more consistent over a long run but are in turn normally heavier than the 97 model. The choice between the tatuus is normally the shape of the driver, if your tall you'll strugle in a 97 (unless you alter the chassis), if you have big shoulders you'll strugle in a 98/99
Old 19 Feb 2007, 21:57 (Ref:1845844)   #41
MattW
Rookie

England
Kent
MattW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFF
Assume a late TATUUS 98 or 99 is the car to have?

John
Hi John, You thinking about selling the Ray??? I bought a '97 Van Dieman FR towards the end of last year but have not been out in it yet as the dash was playing up. I bought it as a bit of fun as there is no Southern FF1600 or Champion of Brands at the moment. With these you seem to get so much more for you money and you can rum them in quite a few Classes. I'm still not sure what to race it in yet. I was thinking about doing the 750mc F4.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 22:12 (Ref:1845859)   #42
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFF
Thanks for that I want to continue to run my own car(s) (FFZetec & FF1600) so this is not the way to go.

Assume the 1700 FF chassis type cars are much cheaper but in decline? What are engines tyres and parts like on these I know what Mygale parts cost! And tyre bill to run in FFZetec was mad.

Was thinking may be about BARC Classic (pre84?) FF2000 in 2008. But racing a new Ray FF1600 does seem like going back to the dark ages!

Just to put some balance on this, it is quite possible to run a carbon car as an independent. Sure the car's more expensive to buy and the engine would be more expensive than an older 8V, but, after running both types of car over the past two years, my experience is that, other than capital costs the cost of tyres, entries and testing is more significant than any other area and they're the same for both classes.

We run our car from our house garage, where it's just completing a winter rebuild and we're only 1/2 an hour from where you seem to be so if you want to see how it's done you're welcome.

One thing is that used carbon cars are hard to find, several are being looked for now, so it would be easier to get hold of a spaceframe car
Old 20 Feb 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1846145)   #43
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Matt
Why don't you bring your Van Diemen out with us where it belongs. If you run in the other formulas you won't be allowed to run it at the design ride height and you will be left wondering why you can't get the best out of it. Don't think that ours is some kind of elitist formula, true the front end is quite quick, but there is a good spread of genuine clubmen scattered through the field. I've raced in F4, URS FF2000 and Mono, and BARC Renault is just as friendly and helpful as any of those, in some cases more so!!
Old 20 Feb 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1846302)   #44
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW
Hi John, You thinking about selling the Ray??? I bought a '97 Van Dieman FR towards the end of last year but have not been out in it yet as the dash was playing up. I bought it as a bit of fun as there is no Southern FF1600 or Champion of Brands at the moment. With these you seem to get so much more for you money and you can rum them in quite a few Classes. I'm still not sure what to race it in yet. I was thinking about doing the 750mc F4.
Hi Matt

Well I wasn't and probably won't just yet having just updated it to 07 spec under weight dry now (Mag rear casting, new bell cranks, alloy starter etc).

But I could sell it a dozen times tomorrow for a lot more than a very good 98/99 FR.

There is 1 BRSCC FF1600 race at Brands this year and the festival as there was last year but we had MSVR races etc too. Was hoping there would be more of these but no sign of any. Plus the BRDC seem to be dropping all but the WHT at Silverstone all moving to Ireland and Scotland!

If/when I change will be racing in another club other than BRSCC and this is BARC and Renault still seem interested where as Ford and FF1600!

Need to watch a few races and try a few cars for size may be a test too, as I am 5'11" with broad shoulders. The Ray fits like a glove the Mygale was designed for 5'2" drivers it was a nightmare!

Keith doing anything?

John

Last edited by Triple J Motorsport; 20 Feb 2007 at 11:03.

Old 20 Feb 2007, 11:11 (Ref:1846311)   #45
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpearson
i'll do about four races on a set, my dad will then do another four races on that set then we will use them for testing. The tyres will lose about 1 second per lap throughout that cycle.
Thanks Ian are you saying they lose a second a lap per heat cycle or from new to 8 race meetings later? Because if it's the later thats amazing!

John

Old 20 Feb 2007, 11:49 (Ref:1846338)   #46
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Ian isn't about at the moment, but I can confirm it is the latter. A new tyre was introduced a couple of seasons ago and it has proved to be so consistent that we have actually worn some down until the depth holes have disappeared!! The previous tyre lost grip relatively early and also stopped wearing out. The net result was a tyre which still looked good but didn't work, so the change which took place a couple of years ago was a great step forward especially bearing in mind that virtually no set-up changes where needed to accomodate it.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 12:26 (Ref:1846361)   #47
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pearson
Ian isn't about at the moment, but I can confirm it is the latter. A new tyre was introduced a couple of seasons ago and it has proved to be so consistent that we have actually worn some down until the depth holes have disappeared!! The previous tyre lost grip relatively early and also stopped wearing out. The net result was a tyre which still looked good but didn't work, so the change which took place a couple of years ago was a great step forward especially bearing in mind that virtually no set-up changes where needed to accomodate it.
Thanks Bob

More I learn more interested I am.....what are part like easy to get hold of ? expensive ? Are you allowed to mend parts, bodywork, chassis yourself ?

I'll investigate the entry fees etc myself!!

Cheers

John

Old 20 Feb 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1846418)   #48
Bob Pearson
Veteran

You are allowed to do all work yourself, this very factor is what attracts us to it as opposed to the FR2000 class. Tatuus don't make spares any more, but Van Diemen and Mygale do. We (Ian and myself) make/repair just about everything for Tatuus cars except body panels. A guy in Norfolk has most of the moulds for the panels. There are quite a few genuine tatuus parts still doing the rounds.
Most engine parts are standard Renault, there are plenty of S/H engines about so that has never been a problem, and quite frankly 4 seasons from an engine between re-builds is quite normal.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 16:59 (Ref:1846569)   #49
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Very interested....

Are the engines all very close or is one builder better or like FF1600 certain engines better no matter who builds it.....

Old 20 Feb 2007, 17:43 (Ref:1846607)   #50
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
See there was only a dozen drivers in the club class in 2006 think I'll wait and see what happens in 2007.

Does anyone hire cars out?

See you are selling both your cars Ian & Bob why? What you doing this year?