Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Oct 2019, 06:21 (Ref:3935329)   #2161
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The opposing bidder for the F1 commercial rights was a group funded in large part by the Dolphins owner, so Liberty Media may be feeling the pressure to deliver on earlier negotiations.

As to the track, I'd like to see a proper plan-form view, as well as a lap length. If it's around 3.0 miles, then at least 3 of those stretches should be of decent length, and having only 15 turns or so, the lap doesn't look horribly busy overall, thankfully.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 22:55 (Ref:3935525)   #2162
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
I've just sketched it out in Google maps to around 3.5 miles based on the landmarks around the stadium.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Miami 1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	54151

The pit straight is going to be at best 450-470m

The top straight is going to be between 1100m and 1200m

Maybe google earth imagery is outdated but the circuit drawing shows the top straight starts from a 90 degree left near one of the main entrances. This area is covered in on/off ramps at all sorts of heights and angles. I'm not sure how they are going to work that one out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Miami 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	54152. Click image for larger version

Name:	Miami 3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	54153

I'm sure someone more local than I can comment on that.
Old 19 Oct 2019, 01:48 (Ref:3935541)   #2163
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know how accurate this is but this is the track layout, according to The Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-revealed.html
Old 19 Oct 2019, 02:42 (Ref:3935549)   #2164
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yeah, BJS, that's the one RACER had in their article, which is why I was wondering about a truer plan-form track diagram.

SBF, if that is ~3.5 miles, we've got 4 decent stretches there; the left/right before start/finish ought to be flat-out. I also like how the layout as a whole doesn't feel overly busy. And honestly, for a temporary circuit especially, the flow could be a whole heck of a lot worse.

One of the renderings appears to show an elevated section of the track, but that could just be someone taking artistic license. I wonder if they'd be able to add a ground-level access road under those elevated ramps to connect that corner.
Old 19 Oct 2019, 03:21 (Ref:3935555)   #2165
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I wonder if they'd be able to add a ground-level access road under those elevated ramps to connect that corner.
I expect that will be the answer. Frankly, looking at the layout and the current sat views, I expect there will need to be a decent amount of construction to create this even if it uses a bit of city streets.

To be honest, I remain highly doubtful given the recent history of ANY new proposed US GP location (especially a temp street circuit).

Richard
Old 31 Oct 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3937814)   #2166
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
sounds like Miami has run into more problems in part because of the community's opposition to the race and also it sounds like the F1 delegation was unprepared. the article is kind of a funny read.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...eting/4589604/

some of the arguments like toxic smoke is the height of NIMBY hysteria but i have to say im on their side. this race in this layout should not happen.

to each their own, but already there are too many races imo and while i do like there to be variety in track formats and layouts it seems ridiculous to me that anyone would take a couple of billion dollars worth of cars and run them around in an actual parking lot.
Old 31 Oct 2019, 16:15 (Ref:3937817)   #2167
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
to each their own, but already there are too many races imo and while i do like there to be variety in track formats and layouts it seems ridiculous to me that anyone would take a couple of billion dollars worth of cars and run them around in an actual parking lot.
They did it in Caesar's Palace parking lot.
Old 31 Oct 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3937818)   #2168
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
i wasnt watching back then, but from what i have read, those races were not well received.

would be curious to hear from those with first hand experience though. lots of hotels i guess which was nice but was the racing any good?
Old 31 Oct 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3937822)   #2169
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was shyte!
Old 31 Oct 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3937833)   #2170
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i wasnt watching back then, but from what i have read, those races were not well received.

would be curious to hear from those with first hand experience though. lots of hotels i guess which was nice but was the racing any good?
I remember watching the highlights of both races, '81 and '82 on BBC and the first race was better than the second. The drivers hated it because it was very hot, with high g corners. Piquet passed out on the podium. The fixed skirts in '82, made for also a very bumpy track. F1 abandoned it after '82. CART raced there in '83 and '84 before they too abandoned it.
Old 1 Nov 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3937953)   #2171
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!
Piquet didn't pass out on the podium, that was Rio 82. In Vegas he vomited in his helmet and in the end he had to be carried out of his car.

It certainly was different Vegas, at least you could pop back to the hotel if you forgot something. Clive James documentary on it is worth a look up on YouTube
Old 1 Nov 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3937999)   #2172
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Piquet didn't pass out on the podium, that was Rio 82. In Vegas he vomited in his helmet and in the end he had to be carried out of his car.

It certainly was different Vegas, at least you could pop back to the hotel if you forgot something. Clive James documentary on it is worth a look up on YouTube
My mistake, though I thought he got out of the car assisted at Vegas and then collapsed? Either way it was a terrible place to host a race.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 21:43 (Ref:3938630)   #2173
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It was shyte!
You go Peter ......