Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jun 2004, 17:23 (Ref:1013626)   #26
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I reckon Kimi is doing an outstanding job this year.

This is the first time in his young career that he's had a dog to drive, but he is maximising his situation.

Remember, when Button first sat in a bad car, the Benetton B201, he floundered and was whipped by Fisi.

Coulthard should be beating Kimi off, as more experienced drivers should theoretically be able to make more of a bad car. This hasn't been the case.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1013648)   #27
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we can say that he is the "driver of the year" for the slower and very deffective cars...

Let us wait and see if he can also be the "driver of the year" next year for the faster cars...
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1013808)   #28
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the new McLaren/next year's McLaren takes them back to the front expect Raikkonen to whip Montoya. We've got quite a few front-runners this year, but everyone seems to have forgotten about Kimi. Hopefully next year we'll have MS, Kimi, Alonso, Trulli, Sato, Button, JPM, Ruby and whoever's in for Williams all fighting it out at the front.

Back to the title of the thread, I think Kimi's certainly been more impressive than than other drivers in poor cars ( Fisichella, Heidfeld ), but I've always thought Fisi was overrated.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:17 (Ref:1013815)   #29
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not tryng to take anything away from Kimi, I think he has put in a strong showing this year. But there have been a number of times this year when he was running with Heidfeld and Fisi on the track... and although his McLaren is not a world-beater, it is certainly a Jordan/Sauber beater...
Old 23 Jun 2004, 23:25 (Ref:1014013)   #30
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Can't be a serious thread, surely. Raikkonnen has been very ordinary this year and has even been outperformed on quite a few occaisions by Coulthard who is the epitome of ordinary. The drivers of the year so far are:

MS - of course
JB - consistent, smart, fast
TS - fast, entertaining, unlucky, having a go (Yay)
NH - putting a Jordan where it shouldnt be (incidentally, he also towelled hero Kimi at Sauber but the breaks didnt go his way, presumably because he has even less personality that KR!)
MW - still going quicker than you can in a heap of junk.
JT - rose to the challenge of Alonso and has performed way better than any of us expected. Would still have won Monaco even if MS was'nt punted.

The rest - very, very disappointing.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 23:28 (Ref:1014017)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
deeks6 - you're a very harsh judge if you think 14 of the drivers are disappointing.

And to call Raikkonen "ordinary" is bizarre.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 23:52 (Ref:1014033)   #32
deeks6
Veteran

... then tell me why they're not...

Minardi's - hopeless money drivers
Pantano - ditto
Klien - almost ditto
da Matta - rarely competitive with Panis who is, what, 38?
Panis - outpaced by Webber most times in surely an inferior car, made silly mistakes.
DC - no comment necessary - has always been a B-grader.
Kimi - covered in last post.
Alonso - clearly outpointed by Jarno this year...not good enough for a virtuoso. Made some mistakes. Yeah, been unlucky on occaisions but has been poor in qual compared to JT.
Rubens - so far behind MS it is'nt funny, but I suppose I'm being a "bit" harsh on him.
Ralf - just a joke...ridiculous mistakes, inconsistent, can't pass...you fill in the rest
JPM - unfocused, unfit, riddled with mistakes, inconsistent...too interested in whingeing.
Massa - can be quick but annoyingly inconsistent and has'nt managed to stop the errors (like Sato)...may never mature.
Fisi - I'm probably harsh on him but if last years Ferrari can't beat a Jaguar and sometimes a Jordan then the driver is the problem. I just don't think he's fast enough.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 23:56 (Ref:1014035)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That has settled that then!
Old 24 Jun 2004, 01:09 (Ref:1014065)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hilarious! Best laugh I've had all day.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 12:13 (Ref:1014497)   #35
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Put me on the record here, I think still DC is in the top 5 drivers on the grid. If only he hadn't mucked up 1-lap quali last year he probably wouldve challenged for the championship. As Martin Brundle says: "no doubt about it".
Old 24 Jun 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1015343)   #36
deeks6
Veteran

If I was about 10 seconds a lap faster, I could challenge for the championship...
Old 25 Jun 2004, 01:23 (Ref:1015424)   #37
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Beating Coulthard is no big deal.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 01:48 (Ref:1015430)   #38
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly Kimi Raikkonen has done a creditable job with a car that is clearly not up to the task in terms of pace and reliability; but to suggest that he is the driver of 2004 thus far is drawing too long a bow.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 02:08 (Ref:1015443)   #39
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I would say he is definitely chef of the year for firing up that Mercedes grill on race day. It is hard to shine in a garbage car that lacks speed and reliability obviously. You could say he is doing surprisingly well in qualifying considering the equipment. Driver of the year 2004? C'mon, driving in this modern age depends so much on the car IMHO.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1015817)   #40
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i f for anything he is driver of the year for not complaining
afterall the maclaren or its mercedes is pure utter poop this year.
a real brown trout.
now Takuma Sato- he has been quiite a perfromer along with button...sad about the failures...
Old 25 Jun 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1015913)   #41
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
i f for anything he is driver of the year for not complaining
Rightly pointed out, gttouring, although I suspect that it depends on the fact that Kimi just says nothing as usual; i mean, even when driving a good car his speaking attitude was not very different.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 23:56 (Ref:1017053)   #42
Utopian
Rookie

Utopian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Driver of the year 2004? C'mon, driving in this modern age depends so much on the car IMHO.
EXACTLY! The car is slow and I am suggesting Kimi is the driver on the grid doing the best with what he has, i.e. driver of the year.

Last edited by Utopian; 27 Jun 2004 at 00:03.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 05:32 (Ref:1017171)   #43
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kimi cannot be compared to David Coulthard. I like Coulthard heaps, but Kimi is on another level. But i don't think Kimi has been going very well this year. THe last few races, his places have been mainly due to attrition. But he is driving well, no question. He may be just be frustrated with the car and frustrated in general. I mean, no one without insider mclaren knowledge could have predicted just how badly they were going to go.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 05:35 (Ref:1017173)   #44
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver of the year has to be decided on what you have achieved... not what you *might* have achieved with a better car.

That doesn't mean that the world champion is automatically driver of the year - there is a very strong case to call Kimi driver of the year for 2003 - driving an update of the previous year's car and certainly not the most powerfull engine on the grid, he was still in the running for the championship right up to the last race.

But in my opinion, for 2004, he simply hasn't completed enough laps for us to be in a position to judge. Not Kimi's fault, but we can't simply call him driver of the year out of sympathy.