Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Sep 2001, 13:45 (Ref:144401)   #1
Daz
Racer

Daz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving Standards?

Firstly I don't this to turn out in to a who's right and wrong arguement.
It's a general discussion about driving standards and penalties given to drivers over the season so far.
What I saw at Silverstone this weekend I'll remember for a long time but for the wrong reasons. I enjoy seeing a good battle for the championships but I'd prefer if it was a clean and fair one.
There have been several occasions where Vauxhall drivers have hit each other this year causing considerable damage to there team mates cars. Is this the way motorsport should be, I think not. Also the way in which driver penalties have been given out lacks consistancy and logic. I understand that Toca want to see a close battle for the championship thats deceided at the last meeting. I feel that some other drivers are also thinking in this same way and trying moves that are not really on thinking that if it all goes wrong well they will only get a time penalty.
Next the racing between James Kaye and Simon Harrison has been good clean fun so far this year, well up until this weekend anyway. What I heard has happened after the race had finished was not good for the image of the series and disgusting driver conduct. One of them deceided to drive in to the side of the others car in the pitlane. What ever happens on the track this is not the best way to act afterwards. The last time there was an incident like this in British motorsport the offending driver got a 1 meeting race ban.
I seriously think that Toca need to look very closely at the way in which certain drivers are conducting themself on and off the track and take hard actions against them. There's been a race ban already this year which I think was unfair so it's time to take action on others that have done far worse repeatedly this year.
I know that this will effect the 2 championship titles but I'd rather see them won by decent clean and gentlemanly driving as opposed to what I've witnessed in recent meetings.
Old 10 Sep 2001, 17:39 (Ref:144492)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
There were some very dodgy moves indeed at Silverstone... I hadn't heard of the incident in pitlane though - what happened ? I could see they were getting a little too friendly out on track...
Old 10 Sep 2001, 17:44 (Ref:144495)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
BTW... a quick correction to your post. If you were talking about Bennett's ban, he didn't receive that for any driving standards infraction, but for the inability to pay the £1000 fine levied on him for them.
Old 10 Sep 2001, 17:57 (Ref:144506)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I find TOCA's action on this matter rather hypicrital. If you remember before the season began, TOCA issued a number of press releases, one of which contained the statment going along the lines of : "we will return to the old crash bang wollop days of the BTCC", I don't have a copy of the press release, but I swear that was more or less what they were saying.
And then to ban drivers for doing exactly what they (TOCA) said they would provide, is just plain silly.
Old 10 Sep 2001, 18:01 (Ref:144510)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I think you might find they were talking about a little light door handling or fender rubbing... not a full blooded attempt to T bone your championship rival off the track... this is totally unacceptable in motorsport... always has been always will be.
Old 10 Sep 2001, 18:08 (Ref:144520)   #6
fudge
Rookie

fudge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely there has to be a better way?

The debate about driving standards, or lack of, will continue as long as there is motorsport. The problem is the consistency of penalties!
Instad of time penlties, fines etc. Which seem to be unfair,depending on wether you can buy your way out of trouble. Why can't there be some method of sorting out a points deduction system.
All drivers go out there to score points, this latest 30 second penalty that Plato has recieved has actually benefited him!
Old 10 Sep 2001, 20:36 (Ref:144605)   #7
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a darn good idea. I can't believe that in this case he has benefited. What's to stop any driver doing this at Donington.
I bet Harrison will be penalised more than Plato (I make no comment to guilt because I didn't see it).

What annoys me even more than this incident is that the spotlight has been taken off those who deserved their podium spot - Paul, Tom and Phil.