Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jan 2002, 09:27 (Ref:193682)   #1
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Another one bites the dust...

Autosport Online has news that suggests that the Kyalami track is about to be halfed in length for a new industrial development. So another great old track is lost.

This is particularly cruel timing for me as I have just been watching Derek Bell blast round there in the 'In Car 956' video, a Xmas present from my darling wife). Thanks to whoever recommended it on this forum many moons ago; the video that is, not my wife.

I am left with this awful nagging feeling that the glory days of motor racing are long gone, and that I was born a few years too late. I'm going into a corner to cry now.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 10:13 (Ref:193692)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
I am left with this awful nagging feeling that the glory days of motor racing are long gone, and that I was born a few years too late. I'm going into a corner to cry now.
You've made me depressed now! Think positive. Somebody may challenge Schumacher and we'll have decent drivers again (with personality?). Somebody may sort out sportscar racing so we can have decent cars again.

However, a lot of the circuits do seem to be on the way out. Although I understand that Kyalami is going because of financial reasons but others are going because of safety reasons. Sorting the cars out may help.

There were days when Eau Rouge was talked about as much, simple because other corners were more challenging.

Ah, nostalgia, it's not what it used to be!
Old 4 Jan 2002, 12:02 (Ref:193730)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its a shame that its happenned but I suppose we better get used to losing the great circuits.... whats left of them anyway...

Old 4 Jan 2002, 17:50 (Ref:193895)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great video isn't it, Alan? It was actually the first video I ever bought and I would recommend it to anyone with the vaguest interest in sportscars (particularly you Paulzinho, with your great love of Group C and Doc Austin with your penchant for Porsches). No sportscar fan's video library is complete without this one.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 18:36 (Ref:193914)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the world's most famous racing circuits, Kyalami in South Africa, appears to have held its last international event following a decision to cut its length by half, according to a report in this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.

Circuit owners the South African Automobile Association will sell off some of the land currently used by the track for an industrial development. The changes will mean that the track will turn left immediately after the pits and reduce the circuit's length to just over one mile.

The SAAA bought the track for two million pounds in 1993 and will sell part of it off for 33 million pounds.

Kyalami regularly hosted the Formula 1 World Championship between 1967 and '85, and made a brief return to the calendar in 1992 and '93. In recent years it has been occasionally used as a test venue by Formula 1 teams.

South Africa's likelihood of hosting a Grand Prix now appeared to be limited to a track in Welkom, but its remote layout and twisty layout will hinder its chances.

The recent collapse of the South African rand on the international market is also likely to mitigate against a Grand Prix being held there in the near future.

from Autosport.com

Very sad.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 07:11 (Ref:194770)   #6
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone here know how I feel about all the great circuits beinjg emasculated, so i won't go into it. But big thanks to Aysedasi for the hints on the SCGT patch. Here is an example of what i've been having so much fun with.
Attached Thumbnails
scgt pic 17.jpg  
Old 7 Jan 2002, 12:43 (Ref:194863)   #7
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

You wouldn't happen to have the link where I can grab those gorgeous cars for SCGT would you? I finally got it working last night after having a lot of 'boot to desktop errors' but there's something about the original carset that isn't authentic... can't put my finger on it.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 16:30 (Ref:194928)   #8
Dr. Austin
Veteran

http://www.speedsims.com/index.cfm?c...subcategory=15

Believe it or not, that is the web site! But I typed this in and it worked too;

http://www.speedsims.com/

There are plenty of links there and don't be afraid to follow them as there are many more cars available from 2000 Audi R8's to motorhomes!

Again, thanks to Aysedasi for the helpful hints and also to Cybersdorf who provided the link. He really gets around the net and has links to almost everything.

Last edited by Dr. Austin; 7 Jan 2002 at 16:36.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 18:08 (Ref:195001)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allegedly.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 18:36 (Ref:195024)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Here is a big accident that i just managed to drive underneath. The Matra flew off into the trees.
Attached Thumbnails
scgt pic 100.jpg  
Old 7 Jan 2002, 22:14 (Ref:195196)   #11
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, thank you Dr Austin. Now to get the thing working without errors.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 22:32 (Ref:195202)   #12
Abs
Rookie

Abs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like I am missing something very good here, can someone tell me what it is and where I can find it.

Thanks
Old 8 Jan 2002, 01:52 (Ref:195265)   #13
Matt Lucas
Racer

Matt Lucas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SCGT is probably the most editable sim out there at the moment, and even though it is about 3 years old there is still a ton of new stuff coming. Here is a snap of a much discussed circuit. the braking zone at Arnage...... Sorry about the big picture though!

I hope to have her complete before the end of this month.

Matt

Last edited by Matt Lucas; 8 Jan 2002 at 01:53.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 02:55 (Ref:195289)   #14
Dr. Austin
Veteran

LeMans for SCGT! Where can I get THAT? Mulsanne must be wonderful! And the kink!
Old 8 Jan 2002, 03:32 (Ref:195305)   #15
Matt Lucas
Racer

Matt Lucas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She's not quite ready yet, but we are working on it Just got some kerbs to add through the Porsche Curves, a few more spectators and that luverly fencing they put everywhere to keep them safe and a few other odds and ends and the model will be complete. The last thing to do will be to fix the wet version as the crowds of uglies look very odd standing around in T shirts in the pouring rain. Have a look over at High Gear Forums and you may find a bunch more screen shots I have posted there. My planned release date is on or about 26 January, but that is subject to some work commitments.

Matt