Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1000601)   #1
v6ter
Rookie

v6ter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lancia Delta HF turbo 1.6

My first Post!

I am considering joing you like minded Car enthusiasts on the track and am considering a Lancia Delta 1.6 HF Turbo.

Can someone advise me as to what is a good Track Car and whether they would consider this to be one.

It has had a lot of work done to it like New Discs and (Green Stuff) Pads, Competition Brake Pipes, Recon Turbo, New Intercooler, Competition Dump Valve 15" Aftermarket Alloys with large gaps (5 spokes) for brake cooling.

I know Lancias dont have the best reputation for reliabilty but it seems pretty quick 0-60 around 7.5 secs and 0-100 in around 20. Top speed if 122mph.

Can I have your thoughts!

cheers

Paul
Old 11 Jun 2004, 22:01 (Ref:1001176)   #2
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main thing to look for in a trackday car (where ultimate speed isn't so crucial) is predictable handling on the limit. A bit of grunt ishelpful (though how much depends on who you are on track with).

I assume you're talking about an old Delta (square-edge). I had an HF about 15 years ago (with the 'works' Martini decal set). Though never used on track, I reckon it's a pretty good car for trackday work , presuming you don't want to go down the Se7en route.

Reliability should not be an issue. The block was designed in the Jurasic era, and can take pretty much everything. Niggles should be sorted on that car (I only had a couple). The other real Lancia problem is rust, so check she's sound.

Performance-wise, the turbo is a bit sudden (and therefore fun), so it eats front tyres for breakfast. It'll have good grunt for an 'ordinary' roadcar. It's not on a par with even the modern hot hatches, bever mind the serious trackday stuff, so you'll need to have your eyes on your mirrors, but it will certainly not be the slowest car out there.

I think your top speed's a little low, we topped 130 on a ski trip (Geneva to Paris in three hours, including pitstops and peages...)
Old 13 Jun 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1002377)   #3
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good base car and lots of fun
Old 20 Jun 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1009265)   #4
bolide
Rookie

bolide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lancia Delta 1.6 HF Turbo

I think this depends very much on how much the Lancia costs. If it's free it'll make a good track day car. If it costs more than £1000 it's way too much money in my opinion. The Delta is worth nothing, unlike an Integrale, and modifying it will make it worth less

The chassis of the Delta (and Integrale) is as stiff as spaghetti so it won't handle properly unless you put a full cage in it and tie it to the suspension pickup points

HiRich wrote "Reliability should not be an issue". I agree, it's not an issue - it'll always be desperately unreliable

The Delta is undeniably cute but the approximate nature of the build quality, interior and electrics would put it dead last in my list of potential track day hacks

But, as I said, if it's free that's another matter!

Nick Froome
www.bolide.co.uk