Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 18 Jul 2002, 10:45 (Ref:336382)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What do we think of ASCAR so far?

AS we are well into the season, I wondered what the feeling's on ASCAR were. It doesn't seem to have attracted much coverage in the motorsport press and the few pic's I have seen indicate it has been playing to very thin crowds.

I admit to not following it very closely, but the 'superstar' driver's don't seem to have had it their own way.

Will it succeed in the long run, is it really a viable series and will it grow into a big championship over time?

Your thought's.....
Old 18 Jul 2002, 16:03 (Ref:336609)   #2
Rocsta
Rookie

Rocsta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel that ASCAR will be a big success, it is by far the best motor racing I have seen in many years but it is still in it's infancy on these shores and will need more exposure. The press don't seem to be picking it up very often partly because I think there really is not much to report on it at the moment with so few races happening and also I get this feeling that they think thats it's not "real" motor racing and just gimmick, but the proof is in the pudding as they say. You say the pictures you have seen show sparse crowds, I agree at the Eurospeedway it has been lower attendance than expected but at Rockingham there have been pretty consistent crowds in the region of 10k which isn't bad for a new series at a new track. You also have to rememeber that these venues are designed to hold many 10's of thousands of spectators in grandstands so 10k will probably look a lot fewer in a photograph. I have been to every round at the Rock and have thoroughly enjoyed it, if you haven't been then maybe you should take a look I am sure you won't regret it. The series will grow stronger and in time will gradually resolve various problems that they have, the most important one right now being the fact they can now do something that can't be done in the US and thats race in the wet so there will be racing no matter what the weather and should make things very interesting indeed.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 19:55 (Ref:336834)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been to every UK round this year and I have loved every minute
of it.

Its only in its first full season and given time, it should grow to be really big.