Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Nov 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2338738)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
FOTA look into new qually format

Yet another change to qually?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72203
Old 21 Nov 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2338744)   #2
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least we would have more of an idea of who is really fastest without having to guess fuel loads etc.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 10:28 (Ref:2338749)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I quite like it,and it punishes mistakes.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2338759)   #4
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
I think it will also increase the pressures on the drivers I know it is totally differnet but it will be similar to the Eliminator Races in games such as Project Gotham, Burnout etc. You could even see more overtaking in qually than the race as you will not want to be slowed by another car. The more I think about it the more I like it
Old 21 Nov 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2338771)   #5
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a 45 minute session where everyone goes out and tries to set the fastest time possible on low fuel loads and proper qualifying setups?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 21 Nov 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2338791)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
A good idea, in my opinion.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2338798)   #7
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
A good idea, in my opinion.
Which one the FOTA one or Johntt's.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2338809)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ
Which one the FOTA one or Johntt's.
Sorry.

I was referring to FOTA's idea, but Johntt's has merit also.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2338889)   #9
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 doesn't need gimmicks. The current format is fine, but I really liked the 1-lap shootout from a few years ago. Preferably with low fuelloads.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 14:53 (Ref:2338921)   #10
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I approve of the current format, I think this new idea could have its merits. Heavy congestion during the early stages could eliminate big players if they can't hook up a hot lap. Then, with luck, we'd get more exciting races (though I think 2007 and 2008 have been decent years in any case).
Old 21 Nov 2008, 14:54 (Ref:2338923)   #11
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The current format minus the whole fuel load nonsense would be just fine. Or, as I've said before, keep Q1 and Q2 as they are and make Q3 a single lap shoot out between the top ten on low fuel.

The FOTA's new idea does seem rather gimmicky but it could turn out to be quite interesting. It does sound like they would basically be racing each other though. IMHO to have more than one F1 race in a meeting would devalue them somewhat. Works fine in GP2, WTCC and the like, but not for F1...
Old 21 Nov 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2338931)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What exactly is the problem with the "fuel thing"? You can go light and compromise your race - so there's not much point. What's the problem?
Old 21 Nov 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2338932)   #13
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
The current format minus the whole fuel load nonsense would be just fine. Or, as I've said before, keep Q1 and Q2 as they are and make Q3 a single lap shoot out between the top ten on low fuel.

The FOTA's new idea does seem rather gimmicky but it could turn out to be quite interesting. It does sound like they would basically be racing each other though. IMHO to have more than one F1 race in a meeting would devalue them somewhat. Works fine in GP2, WTCC and the like, but not for F1...
I say keep the three qualifying phases, scrap the fuel nonsense and introduce compound times.

In Q1, the 16 quickest go to Q2.
In Q2, the 8 quickest Q1+Q2 go to Q3.
In Q3, the final top-8 grid is decided by Q1+Q2+Q3 time.

This means an elimination shootout with everybody trying to set the quickest possible lap in each phase.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 16:18 (Ref:2338982)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before this system is adopted it needs to have a trial run done at a test day. It could work very well - but how would the order for that knockout race work.

I'd like to see a system like Superleague Formula, except twelve drivers would make the playoffs and the top two in each would get a bye to round two. They could do the way they release the cars a bit more efficiently (have one match on the outlap, one on the timed and one on the inlap)

Last edited by duke_toaster; 21 Nov 2008 at 16:20.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2338995)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do so many series try and over-complicate everything, especially when it comes to qualifying???

johntt is on the money, nice and simple, easy to follow.... its the races they need to fix up, not qualifying
Old 21 Nov 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2339025)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really like the same amount of fuel concept.

one question about the 14 lap shootout where the slowest is knocked out each lap. after the first lap, one driver on each subsequent lap will be on an "in lap" and moving rather slowly and presumably getting in everyones way...is that a good thing?

if the drivers can all agree that this is now part of the game and dealing with traffic is part of the skill of a quali shoot out then this could be very exciting and very unpredictable.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2339027)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's not slowest car is eliminated. Think eliminator mode in Burnout.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2339049)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If they must dramatically alter qualifying again, and it seems to be something of an addiction, then they may aswell go for it proper style. My preference would be a reversion to the pre-2003 system, or something very close to it, but that isn't going to happen, so, to my mind, if they are going to change it a lot they may aswell give something like this proposal a try.

What wasn't totally clear was if this top-6 thing was a seperate part of the session to the first (i.e. Q1 and Q2). I am assuming that is the idea. If so, is the idea to be the eliminator system in Q2 as in Q1? Again, I am assuming this is the intention, but, as I read the article, it isn't made specifically clear.

I'd say, if this elimanation system were adopted, they should just leave it to run as one session (that is, no distinction of the top-6 thing). Start with 20 and keep going until only one is left in one continuous session, without the possibility of pitting for fresh rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I think it's not slowest car is eliminated. Think eliminator mode in Burnout.
How does the Burnout thing work? I just ask because the article would seem to suggest that it is slowest car eliminated after each lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport Thread-Inspiring Article
The new idea to be looked at consists of all cars jumping onto the track at the same time and with the same amount of fuel, with the slowest driver being eliminated after each lap.
In particular:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport Thread-Inspiring Article
The new idea to be looked at consists of...the slowest driver being eliminated after each lap.

Last edited by Dutton; 21 Nov 2008 at 18:33.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2339051)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
-
Old 21 Nov 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2339066)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
How does the Burnout thing work? I just ask because the article would seem to suggest that it is slowest car eliminated after each lap.
In essence, it's a "normal" race however the at the end of each lap the last place car is eliminated. At some point in the series they changed it to every 30 seconds, which was presumably when they increased the starting grid either from four or six.

Normal is in quotation marks as it's normal for Burnout. Normal for Burnout includes near misses on normal road traffic to gain a nitrousey thing and really crazy crash animations. And checkpoints which if you don't reach in a time limit you lose. One of the wackyer video game series in existance.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2339080)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When you first suggested "think Burnout", I thought you were jokingly meaning that the drivers would be running each other off the track. That would be fun to watch!
Old 21 Nov 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2339155)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, then, the proposal as I read it is not at all the Burnout thing. It isn't a race for position with the last position eliminated; it is a time-trial style competition with the slowest time eliminated.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2339197)   #23
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the biggest issue when all the car are on track to begin with,as I see it, is getting spacings correct.

There would have to be a timed release from the pitlane onto the "Outlap" with the outlap having to be done at a set pace to keep that spacing.

Given the spread around the track, each car is going to have to drive "The next" lap on the assumption that they are through, as the first on track is going to be 3/4 or the way around his next before finding out he's through or to abort into the pitlane.

During this stage, the TV coverage is basically only going to be each car around the final corner and across the line, with some nifty graphics to keep proper track of not just the fastest but the slowest. There won't be time to evaluate split times.

The glaring problem with this setup as I see it, is that if someone goes off on their 5th lap for example, there could be others behind who have yet to complete a 5th flying lap and others in front who could be well into their 6th.
Trying to sort those out and reset the spacings and fuel-per-laps run could take a lot longer than retreiving a car from the gravel.

If the same system is used for the final 6 cars, Obviously the spaces will be greater and there is the chance dependong on the circuit to perhaps get each car from 3 or 4 corners from the end, but we as a viewer wouldn't get to see the pole lap LIVE other than the last few corners.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 21 Nov 2008 at 23:20.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 23:40 (Ref:2339210)   #24
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Well, then, the proposal as I read it is not at all the Burnout thing. It isn't a race for position with the last position eliminated; it is a time-trial style competition with the slowest time eliminated.
I read the same.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2339420)   #25
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what happens if more than one driver fails to complete a certain lap?