Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > Formula Teddy Out The Pram

Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2488967)   #76
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So we have Argentina on a Wednesday and the British GP on a Thursday. Yeah right...

Also, how do they expect to organise a new race at Helsinki in 14 months when they don't even have a name for this series? Not to mention that Abu Dhabi and Singapore are contracted to F1. And no race in China?

Looks suspiciously like some of the calendars here with a few extra races stuck in to beef it up and make a good story. So unless someone here's on the inside
Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2489000)   #77
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO View Post
I think it's a good schedule, but it would be better with Spa. Also, given the long term presence of Brazilian drivers at the front, I would like to see a Brazilian race. Add Rio right after Argentina and dump Abu Dhabi for Spa and I am content.
They will never dump Abu Dhabi, it's owned by a Ferrari shareholder: Mubadala
Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2489037)   #78
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
So we have ... the British GP on a Thursday. Yeah right...
Remember it was sourced from the Guardian so probably a misprint. 11 July instead of 1 July would work out.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2489098)   #79
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
In order for a FOTA series to survive it needs to have races in countries where its members can sell cars.So places like the USA (not Indy),Russia,China should definitley be on that calendar.They are not! Which leads me to believe that the calendar is,at the moment,purely wishful thinking,and that the reality is some way off.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2489100)   #80
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
In order for a FOTA series to survive it needs to have races in countries where its members can sell cars.So places like the USA (not Indy),Russia,China should definitley be on that calendar.They are not! Which leads me to believe that the calendar is,at the moment,purely wishful thinking,and that the reality is some way off.
Does Russia have a Formula 1-worthy race track?

Any way, if FOTA is to win the current war (and to me it looks that way) it will only be a matter of time before they'll be going to Spa again.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2489156)   #81
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford prefect View Post
Crash.net have published a leaked calendar (nicked from The Grauniad):

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/148803/...ar_leaked.html
Pure speculation on the part of The Guardian, so I take it with a bucketful of salt.
I suspect the link will be removed quickly so I have listed the circuits below:
3 March Buenos Aires Argentina Last hosted F1 in 1998
21 March Mexico City Mexico Last hosted F1 in 1992
11 April Jerez Spain Last hosted F1 in 1997
25 April Portimao Portugal Never hosted F1
2 May Imola San Marino Last hosted F1 in 2006
23 May Monte Carlo Monaco Current F1 host
6 June Montreal Canada Last hosted F1 in 2008
13 June Indianapolis United States Last hosted F1 in 2007
1 July Silverstone United Kingdom Current F1 host
25 July Magny-Cours France Last hosted F1 in 2008
15 August Laustizring Germany Never hosted F1
29 August Helsinki Finland Never hosted F1
12 September Monza Italy Current F1 host
26 September Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates Current F1 host
10 October Marina Bay Singapore Current F1 host
24 October Suzuka Japan Last hosted F1 in 2006
8 November Adelaide or Surfers' Paradise Australia Last hosted F1 in 1995/Never hosted F1
Abu Dhabi in September I think not... clearly nonsense.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:35 (Ref:2489161)   #82
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
Abu Dhabi in September I think not... clearly nonsense.
Any particular reason?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2489189)   #83
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
I see your point, Steve, but I don't like it.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2489199)   #84
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Eh? Ferrari have only one shareholder - FIAT.

Russia has no F1 grade tracks and to be honest I don't forsee anyone turning up to a race there, China has had terrible attendences as well. Big market or not, if you have no interest there is no interest. The US actually had interest in motorsport. China doesn't.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2489202)   #85
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rio track is in very ill repair.. it wasn't even good enough to host the A1 race in 2006, so it's unlikely to host a 1T series race now (basically)
Old 23 Jun 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2489205)   #86
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Eh? Ferrari have only one shareholder - FIAT.
Mubadala have at least a 5% stake in Ferrari..
Old 23 Jun 2009, 18:36 (Ref:2489243)   #87
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
There is an Apex Circuit Design proposal to refurbish Jacarepagua near Rio.

The Moscow Raceway is a Grade 1 circuit under construction, and is expected to begin operations in 2010 with potentially MotoGP and DTM. It is being floated as a site for the Russian Grand Prix. Unfortunately, the track (designed by Tilke) is only 4.07km (2.529 miles), with the longest straight being 873m. The next longest straight looks to be less than 500m. There are 15 corners, including a sequence of eight slow to medium speed turns with no substantial straights intervening.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2489432)   #88
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes View Post
The Rio track is in very ill repair.. it wasn't even good enough to host the A1 race in 2006, so it's unlikely to host a 1T series race now (basically)
Yep... but Brasilia is preparing itself to host a IRL race and I already heard of talks of a possible deal, regarding that it's Nelson Piquet Snr hometown.

RBR already been there : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXBS8OVP_oc
Old 24 Jun 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2489746)   #89
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GP.com said it was a nonsense calendar because there will probably be at least 2 races in the US, if not 3, and there will probably be races in Brazil and South Africa

But it may prove to be redundant now of course
Old 24 Jun 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2489800)   #90
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Useless...
Old 24 Jun 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2489878)   #91
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Ah now it's actually a bit of a shame

Selby
Old 24 Jun 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2489892)   #92
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the FOTA now having signed a concorde agreement until 2012 (I think it is), the choice of tracks now stays with Bernie for the time being.
But it is pretty certain that FOTA will want to have a say in which markets to go to come the time of the next renewal of the concorde agreement.

It just makes no sense to race in Formula 1 without races in the USA or Canada, the UK, France and Germany. Russia is looking to be a promising market, too, when there is a Russian driver in the series.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2489947)   #93
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Russia has the motorsport fan base to be honest, commies are always up for a bit of a major engineering project, but I never heard of any plans for Lada to enter F1.

China sounded good on paper, but motor racing takes place on tarmac. They get little attendance - and that's after they have bussed in members of the party and the army in. Then again, they had that for the Olympics. No point building massive facilities when few people want to go to it.

However, the USA and those other European countries do have realistic chances of selling out races. France maybe would need a new venue, as Magny is in the middle of nowhere. Even so I wouldn't be surprised if Magny's SF round this weekend gets more French spectators than the Chinese GP got Chinese spectators, and about the same number of Russian spectators a Russian GP would get.

Tags
formula one, fota