Old 18 Dec 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3486014)   #2426
Mies7337
Racer

Netherlands
Hoek van Holland
Mies7337 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Some testing video I shot of Indycars at Sebring this week. This was Hinchcliffe's first test with Schmidt Peterson. Also running, Dixon, Kanaan, Kimball, Sage Karam, Gabby Chavez, and GP2 drivers Daniel De Jong, Rodolpho Gonzalez, Stefano Colletti, and Davide Valsecchi.

http://youtu.be/rnmlyp_D6OQ
With what teams were Karam, Chavez, De Jong, Gonzales, Coletti and Valsecchi driving? Especially Coletti and Valsecchi would be great to see in a championship as great as the Indycar. De Jong would be nice as well, because he's a Dutchie, although he doesn't appear as one of the greatest talents of all time.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 14:10 (Ref:3486055)   #2427
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mies7337 View Post
Conway out of the Indycar actually is a miss. But he smashed his chances of driving in the Indycar by saying that he's not going to drive on ovals any more.
It's not just the oval issue, Toyota can outbid Ed Carpenter (and did, by the looks of it).

Quote:
And why is Justin Wilson still not confirmed, is he talking to other teams, or is his seat really in danger?
Wilson's contract with Coyne is up, he's free to negotiate with other teams.

Quote:
With what teams were Karam, Chaves, De Jong, Gonzales, Coletti and Valsecchi driving?
http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/12/...es-for-holiday

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports - Gonzalez, Valsecchi, Coletti

Bryan Herta Autosport - Chaves, De Jong (who isn't seriously looking at Indycar, he merely paid for a test day)

Karam is still under contract with Ganassi and is expected to fill the fourth seat.

Quote:
Especially Coletti and Valsecchi would be great to see in a championship
Valsecchi might be okay but I can think of better candidates from both sides of the Atlantic. Dean Stoneman and Gabriel Chaves, for example.

Quote:
De Jong would be nice as well, because he's a Dutchie, although he doesn't appear as one of the greatest talents of all time.
Like I said, he's staying in Europe for 2015. Robin Frijns is Dutch too you know ;-) and an infinitely better racing driver.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3486061)   #2428
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Looks like Kurt Busch has Tony Stewart's blessing to attempt ''The Double'' again, next year.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/12/...double-attempt
I'm very interested in drivers switching disciplines.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3486248)   #2429
Mies7337
Racer

Netherlands
Hoek van Holland
Mies7337 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
It's not just the oval issue, Toyota can outbid Ed Carpenter (and did, by the looks of it).

Wilson's contract with Coyne is up, he's free to negotiate with other teams.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/12/...es-for-holiday

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports - Gonzalez, Valsecchi, Coletti

Bryan Herta Autosport - Chaves, De Jong (who isn't seriously looking at Indycar, he merely paid for a test day)

Karam is still under contract with Ganassi and is expected to fill the fourth seat.

Valsecchi might be okay but I can think of better candidates from both sides of the Atlantic. Dean Stoneman and Gabriel Chaves, for example.

Like I said, he's staying in Europe for 2015. Robin Frijns is Dutch too you know ;-) and an infinitely better racing driver.

Thanks for the info. I also think that Valsecchi would be the best choice for Schmidt Peterson, but can they afford it to run two cars without a paying driver?
And I would absolutely love to see Frijns in an Indycar. He's such a big talent with a bit of a big mouth. He made the worst mistake by rejecting a Red Bull talents program seat. But he fits in the Indycar, by driving on risk and flair. It's not what he'd hoped for, but still.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 14:57 (Ref:3486443)   #2430
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I also think that Valsecchi would be the best choice for Schmidt Peterson, but can they afford it to run two cars without a paying driver?
They ran it without external funding when they still had Hewlett Packard as a primary sponsor on Pagenaud's car. It'll probably be a 50:50 this year.

Quote:
And I would absolutely love to see Frijns in an Indycar. He's such a big talent with a bit of a big mouth. He made the worst mistake by rejecting a Red Bull talents program seat. But he fits in the Indycar, by driving on risk and flair. It's not what he'd hoped for, but still.
No guarantees there, especially with the Verstappen\Kvyat signings coming out of left field.
Old 22 Dec 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3487227)   #2431
PZippy
Rookie

United States
Park Ridge, Illinois
PZippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you guys really think Coyne will hire Alex Rossi? I for one, would be totally enthused with that decsion. Based upon the fact that Honda was present at Rossi's visit to Coyne, it would lead me to believe that Honda would be supporting that move as well. I actually like the way this year's silly season is ending up.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3487415)   #2432
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Nice theory.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3487433)   #2433
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PZippy View Post
Do you guys really think Coyne will hire Alex Rossi? I for one, would be totally enthused with that decsion. Based upon the fact that Honda was present at Rossi's visit to Coyne, it would lead me to believe that Honda would be supporting that move as well. I actually like the way this year's silly season is ending up.
I wouldn't read anything into Honda being there. Honda won't let it's sealed, leased motors run without their techs being there.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3490028)   #2434
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is some more on aero-kits.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/01/...it-regulations
Old 5 Jan 2015, 10:23 (Ref:3490032)   #2435
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I have a horrible feeling that these kits will have a detrimental effect on the racing. The stock Dallara was so inefficient and crass that you could knock bits off and still go just as fast (if not faster).

Having said that, It's definatley time for a spruce-up. I felt the momentum of 12 & 13 waning towards the end of 14.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 12:58 (Ref:3490057)   #2436
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Momentum?
Old 5 Jan 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3490113)   #2437
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, momentum? Not seeing it.

The aero kits are the same type of gimmicky, quickly forgotten band aids this series tries to use.

I expect the kits will have near zero impact for the general public out there.
Old 5 Jan 2015, 18:41 (Ref:3490133)   #2438
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
On a related note, I'm wondering if they will have any kind of impact on the cars' performance or not (q.v. the comment above about knocking bits off, etc.). Or if one aero kit solution turns out to be so superior that everyone adopts it and we end up with all the cars looking the same... again.
Old 6 Jan 2015, 02:45 (Ref:3490242)   #2439
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Yes, momentum? Not seeing it.

The aero kits are the same type of gimmicky, quickly forgotten band aids this series tries to use.

Thanks again for offering your opinion and speaking on behalf of the entire general public :rollseyes:

The aero kits are a positive for the series and I can only see this as a positive offering a differential and new story line for pre season testing and the 2015 season.

Fingers crossed we see some more designers try their hand a aero kits beyond Honda and Chevy
Old 6 Jan 2015, 13:33 (Ref:3490336)   #2440
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Thanks again for offering your opinion and speaking on behalf of the entire general public :rollseyes:

The aero kits are a positive for the series and I can only see this as a positive offering a differential and new story line for pre season testing and the 2015 season.

Fingers crossed we see some more designers try their hand a aero kits beyond Honda and Chevy
Lipstick on a pig. No one watches and no one is going to start to watch because of a few areo pieces. From what I have seen in the spy shots it is even uglier. If that could be possible.

As for others making them, maybe Lotus will make one. Oh wait...
Old 6 Jan 2015, 14:18 (Ref:3490351)   #2441
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Scott View Post
Lipstick on a pig. No one watches and no one is going to start to watch because of a few areo pieces. From what I have seen in the spy shots it is even uglier. If that could be possible.

People do watch, just not enough at current levels to entice new sponsors and thus sustain the series for the long term. It didn't help that it took so long to replace the ageing Dallara IR5 with the DW12, not exactly the beauty of the race track, though Dallara seem to have got it right with the new Lights car.

Having said that, the DW12 has produced some excellent racing and hopefully the aero-kits will produce the variety and visual interest bereft of a spec series and draw a bigger audience. I think this season will be pivotal.
Old 6 Jan 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3490357)   #2442
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Formula Vee provides excellent racing too. Watching these ugly slugs plod around a street and road course is painful. The crowds have spoken. Just look at the crowds at the Molson Indy Toronto back in the 90's. More people were there for Saturday qualifying than show up for an entire three day weekend now. Grandstands are coming down everywhere.

The irl is the motorsport's version of onion gum.
Old 6 Jan 2015, 15:37 (Ref:3490360)   #2443
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The ratings will continue to be dismal of course.

But so long as there's racing, I'll still be watchin'.
Old 6 Jan 2015, 23:55 (Ref:3490503)   #2444
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I dont disagree with your first sentence - but I would also suggest people are not watching because of the aesthetics of the current cars either.

I dont know what spy shots you are looking at but I would very much disagree.

As for Lotus - I dont think the next aero design will come from a manufacturer.

I also love the posters who think they have a lightbulb moment when they say crowds are down compared to the 90's.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 00:03 (Ref:3490506)   #2445
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The ratings will continue to be dismal of course.

But so long as there's racing, I'll still be watchin'.
I'll still be watching as well and hopefully the aero-kits will help improve crowd attendance and TV ratings but they are missing a trick by not introducing them at the opening round in Brasilia. Generate some interest with the season opener, it's a marketing gift.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 7 Jan 2015 at 00:09.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 00:57 (Ref:3490519)   #2446
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I dont disagree with your first sentence - but I would also suggest people are not watching because of the aesthetics of the current cars either.

I dont know what spy shots you are looking at but I would very much disagree.

As for Lotus - I dont think the next aero design will come from a manufacturer.

I also love the posters who think they have a lightbulb moment when they say crowds are down compared to the 90's.
Nice personal attack. If you don't like the comparison to the 90's how about the last year of ChampCar? St Pete's, Long Beach, Edmonton, Toronto? Attendance fell in all races when the irl showed up.

The spy shots were on Racer. As for anyone making body kits. Good luck with that. There is no money to be made. Penske? Nope. That will mean he'll have to make them available to everyone who wants one.

Tony George sure fixed things, didn't he.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3490522)   #2447
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Nice personal attack. If you don't like the comparison to the 90's how about the last year of ChampCar? St Pete's, Long Beach, Edmonton, Toronto? Attendance fell in all races when the irl showed up.

The spy shots were on Racer. As for anyone making body kits. Good luck with that. There is no money to be made. Penske? Nope. That will mean he'll have to make them available to everyone who wants one.

Lola originally came up with the idea of aero-kits, when the ICONIC committee were deliberating about a replacement for the Dallara IR5 but still wanted to run a spec series.

I personally think the biggest mistake the IRL made since CCWS and the IRL merged, was not to go with Lola, when the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 7 Jan 2015 at 01:38. Reason: Needed a up of tea.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 02:01 (Ref:3490531)   #2448
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
If you don't like the comparison to the 90's how about the last year of ChampCar? St Pete's, Long Beach, Edmonton, Toronto? Attendance fell in all races when the irl showed up.
More my point was that attendances dropping when Champcar were at those events - this is nothing new. Hence making comparisons to the 90's is like having a conversation about the world being round.

Quote:

I am not sure what Tony George has got to do with a conversation about aero kits.

Looking at the number of spares teams would be ordering - a good aero package that interests a number of teams could be profitable for a designer or company.

Aero kits arent going to change the world but they also arent going to make things worse - so I am all in favour.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 14:09 (Ref:3490684)   #2449
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Lola originally came up with the idea of aero-kits, when the ICONIC committee were deliberating about a replacement for the Dallara IR5 but still wanted to run a spec series.

I personally think the biggest mistake the IRL made since CCWS and the IRL merged, was not to go with Lola, when the opportunity presented itself.
Lola's pitch as well was for the tub to be common and used for Indy Lights as well making it easier for teams to "move up" to Indycar. I'm convinced that if there is a way to %#$*-up racing, IndyCar will.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 16:54 (Ref:3490723)   #2450
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Lola's pitch as well was for the tub to be common and used for Indy Lights as well making it easier for teams to "move up" to Indycar. I'm convinced that if there is a way to %#$*-up racing, IndyCar will.
It's because the chassis proposal was a lock in for dallara and they paid lip service to pretending it was open to tender, like a boss of a company pretending to interview for a new position and eventually giving it to a family member in the end.

While it's only my personal opinion that the series would be in a better state had they gone with lola (and the cars would've looked better too) what can't be debated ia that with such an order lola would be in a much much better position than it is now *sob*