Old 16 Dec 2003, 01:35 (Ref:812689)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deal Approved?

AR1 is reporting this....
--------------------------------
OWRS proposal approved by CART board

Just hours ago, the CART Board of Directors approved the most recent buyout offer of Open Wheel Racing Series LLC (OWRS). After days of negotiation the CART board signed the agreement that will see OWRS buy the pieces of CART necessary to continue the business, while the rest, namely the operating company, will be submitted to the courts for bankruptcy. An official announcement will be out shortly.
---------------------------------
Old 16 Dec 2003, 01:47 (Ref:812692)   #2
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks for the info, MolsonBoy!!!
KEEP ON ROLLIN' CART>>>
Old 16 Dec 2003, 02:08 (Ref:812698)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
C^RT is dead... long live C^RT...

Welcome OWRS... and all those who sail in her...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Dec 2003, 02:45 (Ref:812707)   #4
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the press release.....

OWRS Completes Assets Purchase posted on 12-15 21:32

LANSING, Mich. (Dec. 15, 2003) – Open Wheel Racing Series, LLC (“Open Wheel”) has completed its negotiations with CART, Inc. and Championship Auto Racing Teams, Inc. to purchase specific assets, including contracts with promoters, sponsors, and teams, through the planned Chapter 11 bankruptcy process of CART, Inc. This agreement allows for the continuation of the 2004 Champ Car World Series season.

Open Wheel will begin the immediate planning and implementation of the operational details required to conduct the Champ Car World Series in 2004 as the closing of the transaction continues. The closing of the transaction is subject to certain closing conditions including the approval of the bankruptcy court.

“Our goal throughout this process was for an expedient resolution so our teams and sponsors could proceed with full confidence,” said Paul Gentilozzi, an Open Wheel partner. “We’re extremely grateful to all of the sponsors, teams, promoters, and fans that have expressed their ongoing encouragement. Their loyalty has been phenomenal; they’ve stayed with us throughout this initiative and have supported us at every turn.

“Effective immediately, we’re ready to begin work to implement our vision for Champ Car in 2004 and for many seasons beyond,” explained Gentilozzi. “Our purchase was with the express intent of supporting our teams and sponsors competing now and in the future.

“Therefore, as a show of strength and good faith, Open Wheel has accepted the liability of almost $2.7 million in 2003 prize monies which we will pay to our teams that elect to participate in the 2004 Champ Car season,” revealed Gentilozzi.

“There’s been a great deal of speculation about car count for next year,” continued Gentilozzi. “We talk to our teams on a daily basis and we’re more than confident that we’ll have a full field of cars in 2004. In addition, we anticipate new team and driver announcements in the very near future.”

Kevin Kalkhoven, an Open Wheel partner and co-owner of PK Racing, was instrumental in the acquisition process. “This was an extremely complex deal,” noted Kalkhoven, former CEO of JDS Uniphase, a leading global supplier of components and modules for advanced fiber optic telecommunications networks. “I pride myself in my knowledge and expertise in acquisitions and mergers, but I was surprised by the complexity of the transaction.

“But I’m positive the agreed upon format is definitely the correct one and one which will allow our Series to grow and flourish in 2004 and beyond,” added Kalkhoven.

OWRS partner Gerald Forsythe has had a long emotional and financial commitment to the Champ Car World Series and is convinced that the asset purchase agreement was key to ensure the Series’ future. “This was absolutely the right move for the future and longevity of Champ Car,” commented Forsythe, who co-owns Team Player’s and is a limited partner of the BAR Formula One team. “I have every confidence that this decision will prove successful.”

In a related move, Open Wheel nominee Richard P. Eidswick has been appointed as CEO of CART, Inc. to see the organization through the Chapter 11 proceedings. During the transition, Eidswick will report to the CART Board of Directors.

Eidswick is co-founder and Managing Director of Arbor Partners, an Ann Arbor, Mich.-based venture capital firm which primarily invests in companies focused on the creation of next-generation application software and communication technologies. In addition to capital, Arbor Partners offers clients a comprehensive set of business-building resources including assistance with strategic planning, development of product and marketing strategies, and the establishment of corporate partnerships.

“I’m confident that the Champ Car World Series will emerge from the bankruptcy process stronger than ever,” said Eidswick. “I look forward to working with all parties involved to build on our strengths and explore new opportunities as we position Champ Car for 2004 and beyond.”

The Champ Car World Series 2004 racing season begins on April 18 with its 22nd running of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Reigning Champ Car Drivers’ Champion Paul Tracy will return to defend his 2003 Long Beach win.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 02:50 (Ref:812710)   #5
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is AWESOME another year of the best pure hardest racing, I just hope they work out the schedule bugs.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 02:58 (Ref:812713)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
One more step in the process, just when it was looking touch and go. Let's just hope that this continues to move forward, and that this group can truly build something going forward.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 03:15 (Ref:812718)   #7
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*MASSIVE Sigh of relief!!*

Ahhhh...first bit of good news I've heard for a while...

Long may it continue!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 03:33 (Ref:812722)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it's a start, let's hope it continues!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 Dec 2003, 03:36 (Ref:812724)   #9
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great news! I'm sure all those involved in the series are latting out at least a big sigh of relief. Now we should start hearing team announcements for next year. Thanks for the early Christmas present!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 03:39 (Ref:812725)   #10
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Woohoo. Can't wait to here all the details unfold in the next few days. Very soon we should be hearing confirmation of teams and drivers now that they know the series has what it needs to continue next year.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 03:40 (Ref:812726)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HURRAH! HURRAH! HURRAH!

Cue Indycool with bucket of cold water to pour all over us.

But I don't even care. Hurrah! Cart lives! Hurrah!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 04:04 (Ref:812737)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish I'd read this thread first today. Excellent news. There wasn't much time left to sort it out.

It's kind of funny that OWRS will pay out $2.7M of prize money to teams for next year. With $1M going to PT/Forsyth from winning the championship, plus a bunch of wins from PT and one from PC, plus lots of podiums, there's not that much left. Also a couple of good finishes for ASTJ that won't have to be paid out.

I was thinking too, I wonder if Pollock was simply involved in PK racing so that Kalkhoven would seem legit. Pollock seems to have moved away from the team. With no experience in CART it's sort of hard for Kalkhoven to run a team AND buy the series. Pollock gave him immediate credibility.

I was also very nervous about Gentilozzi around this time last year. After what happened with Tag and his he has some credibility that he will probably be good with control of CART.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 04:14 (Ref:812741)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The closing of the transaction is subject to certain closing conditions including the approval of the bankruptcy court.

There Liz, a bucket of at least cool water for you. But great news, and good to be back on track.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 04:15 (Ref:812743)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Dec 2003, 04:25 (Ref:812745)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I refuse to be depressed and cynical about this. Let the fireworks begin!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 06:22 (Ref:812784)   #16
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that we've got that out of the way, let the fun rumors fly! Teams, drivers, tracks... it's all good. I'm going to drink to celebrate... tomorrow... after my exam...

Yay!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 08:38 (Ref:812858)   #17
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What some people just don't seem to get is there are a lot of good will fans that simply want this type of racing to exist. Congratulations to OWRS, hats off for the effort, we wish you every fortune with the future of Champcars. The baton is now yours.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 08:39 (Ref:812859)   #18
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

Aus.CARTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long live CART. We Aussies cant wait to see the Champ Cars back down here in 2004. What are the chances of Mo Nunn switching sides next year.What are the other rumors going aroung in the US.ANd by the way congrats on catching saddam!!!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 09:01 (Ref:812880)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Excellent news
Old 16 Dec 2003, 09:36 (Ref:812903)   #20
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic news!! Absolutely thrilled that this series keeps going!
They're not coming to Brands, so i'll have to figure out where to travel to! I'm addicted now...
Old 16 Dec 2003, 09:56 (Ref:812919)   #21
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can know start thinking about no of teams, drivers, engines, and how are they going to get it all done in time at least we only have to worry about the little things.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 10:59 (Ref:812961)   #22
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let the partying begin!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 11:28 (Ref:812975)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's great that the first stage is done with, and the serious business of organising a 2003 season can now begin. It's too early to really celebrate, because there are no guarantees of a competitive grid, but this is still good news, and was defiantely needed this side of Christmas.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 11:58 (Ref:812996)   #24
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART season is a go!!!

From SlamSports.......
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...16/288349.html

Tue, December 16, 2003

CART season is a go
By AP

INDIANAPOLIS -- There will be a 2004 Champ Car season. The prospective owners of the troubled CART racing series said yesterday a buyout agreement has been reached that includes having the series file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Open Wheel Racing Series LLC, formed by three CART team owners, said the deal would allow racing next season.

The deal includes the purchase of specific assets -- including contracts with promoters, sponsors and teams -- as Indianapolis-based CART goes through a planned bankruptcy process, Open Wheel Racing said in a statement.

The partners in Open Wheel Racing are Paul Gentilozzi, owner of Rocketsports Racing, Kevin Kalkhoven, co-owner of PK Racing, and Gerald Forsythe, a co-owner of Team Players.

"Effective immediately, we're ready to begin work to implement our vision for Champ Car in 2004 and for many seasons beyond," Gentilozzi said. "Our purchase was with the express intent of supporting our teams and sponsors competing now and in the future."

A message seeking comment was left late yesterday at CART's headquarters.

Open Wheel Racing also said Richard Eidswick would become the CEO of CART as it goes through the Chapter 11 proceedings, replacing Chris Pook, who also had been CART president.

Last edited by Dov; 16 Dec 2003 at 12:00.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:23 (Ref:813112)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is one step...in many ways a BIG one...in others a small one compared to other larger ones to be taken to ensure a 2004 season for this Series....

But this is good news....

Now we have to really hope that the Bankruptcy Court moves things along and does not block the progress of this deal....

And that a number of parties sue a broad spectrum of entities, including the part of CART that was able to approve this deal, for whatever damages or claims they wish to pursue...

Those two factors, and how they will shake out, will determine whether or not the 2004 season will take place....or at least when it will take place....

One American Open Wheel Series!