Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Nov 2013, 05:53 (Ref:3335892)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheese V8Supercars To Return To Private Ownership??

Story Here

Makes sense.. if the will & dollars are available..

But can the people named here get on with one another long enough to get a deal done ??

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Nov 2013, 07:01 (Ref:3335902)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Rumours about this were circulating of course a few months ago. Will have to see how it all pans out.

The question of getting along is a good one - they've all managed to do it as TEGA but once various parties are tipping in hard cash, things may change.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3335932)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The James Phelps agenda push continues.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3335955)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it hard to believe that Dick Johnson has enough financial wedge to be able to weigh in on it.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3335960)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I find it hard to believe that Dick Johnson has enough financial wedge to be able to weigh in on it.
That was my no 1 question on reading it, where is the cash coming from for it

I assume it comes at a discount to the original selling price
Old 24 Nov 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3335987)   #6
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He's probably not the only team owner in that situation… So will it end up with some teams owning a larger share than others?
Old 24 Nov 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3336082)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Archer Capital was supposed to network a bunch of brands for sponsorship and bring in a lot more revenue. Instead somewhat mysteriously it all disappeared. How the franchise holders went from nearly a million in income a year to nothing is a mystery. Yes the TV deal went down some, but not that much.

Since they took over, it's been bumbling around so hopefully the team owners can buy it back because they'll do a better job running it.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 19:04 (Ref:3336109)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Would this allow more than 28 starters? If so, I'm all for it.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3336121)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Would this allow more than 28 starters? If so, I'm all for it.
Unlikely, the 28 car model was in place before the teams & SEL sold to Archer in the first place
Old 24 Nov 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3336159)   #10
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back Tony Cochran!!!
Old 24 Nov 2013, 21:45 (Ref:3336188)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
Bring back Tony Cochran!!!
In the original incarnation of the privatisation posse, Mr Cochrane was named as one of the co-conspirators... and may still be so...

It would be funny if S&EL come back at half price

How many Alan Bonds do you get in a lifetime?
Old 25 Nov 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3336282)   #12
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the grammar used is saying DJ is a Team Owner, to give some background info, not necessarily one of those allegedly trying to buy it back
Old 25 Nov 2013, 00:28 (Ref:3336286)   #13
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was hoping that was the case, but you can never be sure.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 03:01 (Ref:3336327)   #14
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Betty could have a word to Frank, as he is into Soccer, Maybe Westfield can buy it ?
Old 25 Nov 2013, 03:07 (Ref:3336328)   #15
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
team owners are planning to buy back their sport

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sp...-1226767033402

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226767033402

Last edited by TWRv12; 25 Nov 2013 at 03:12.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3336372)   #16
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Thanks TWR - those are both the same story linked in the first post by the look of them.

Interesting quote from the story: "The talks have not been escalated to the entire group, with the most powerful team owner and a person essential to any bid claiming he had not been included in any discussion."

Wonder who "the most powerful team owner" is meant to be? Roland is part of the group, Betty too. Surely the author doesn't seriously consider a Kelly to be "the most powerful team owner"?
Old 25 Nov 2013, 08:41 (Ref:3336386)   #17
Umai Naa
Veteran

Mr R. Walkinshaw, I'd say.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3336439)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I would suggest that the Dumbrell family tree has plenty of green leaves upon it too...
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:20 (Ref:3336445)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Our friends at the Fin Review have cottoned on to this story as well... in today's paper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFR 25/11/13, StreetTalk, Staff Writer

Super Regrets For V8 Owners

A group of V8Supercars team owners are probably regretting their decision to take a big chunk of cash from private equity firm Archer Capital. Some teams owners are even chatting about trying to wrest back control of the motor sport company. Archer bought a 65 percent stake in V8Supercars for $300 million in May 2011, taking 40 percent off team owners, and 25 percent from Tony Cochrane and James Erskine's Sports & Entertainment Limited.

But some of the team owners, including ex-drivers Paul Morris and Rod Nash, are unhappy and are rustling support to increase their stake again. The teams got a good price in 2011 but the decision to sell down to 35 per cent share means they get less exposure to any earnings upside and less say over strategy. The problem is that there are two sides to any deal and what the team bosses want does not necessarily match Archer's ambitions.

Archer only assigned its new partner Rishabh Mehrotra as chairman of V8s in May, and intends to hold onto its investment.
You might imagine, that even with the combined financial firepower of those named in the various articles, that finding a lazy $180m laying around will not be as simple as writing a cheque...

It is likely they will need a sponsor, another private equity player, with access to cash, and actual management expertise to bring to the table.

Having worked with a number of private equity-owed businesses, I am amazed at the lack of day to day operational input and visibility the Archer Capital crowd seem to have with the sport...
Old 25 Nov 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3336498)   #20
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I would suggest that the Dumbrell family tree has plenty of green leaves upon it too...
Could be either that are referred to but most likely Ryan - but "most powerful team owner"? - puh-lease.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3336503)   #21
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am amazed at the lack of day to day operational input and visibility the Archer Capital crowd seem to have with the sport...
Most of V8s woes have not been created by Archer, but it's pretty hard to come up with anything positive they've done. No new sponsors/markets/partners to be seen?
Old 25 Nov 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3336527)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Having worked with a number of private equity-owed businesses, I am amazed at the lack of day to day operational input and visibility the Archer Capital crowd seem to have with the sport...
I only see it from the outside, but ever since they took over it's looked like a ship adrift at sea, which is kind of curious considering the massive sum paid.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3336661)   #23
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Most of V8s woes have not been created by Archer, but it's pretty hard to come up with anything positive they've done. No new sponsors/markets/partners to be seen?

Merchant Bankers/Private Equity firms are not in the business of actualy running them, they are more aligned to dress them up like a christmas dinner , whilst reduce spending , to show nice bank balance and cash flow etc to sell for a tidy profit.

They are similar to Govts, there for a few years, not the best ppl to have running a business forever as it is not in their interests. They are there to make money nothing more nothing less.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3336665)   #24
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
Quote:
Our friends at the Fin Review have cottoned on to this story as well... in today's paper...

You might imagine, that even with the combined financial firepower of those named in the various articles, that finding a lazy $180m laying around will not be as simple as writing a cheque...

It is likely they will need a sponsor, another private equity player, with access to cash, and actual management expertise to bring to the table.

This is how they operate, they have not picked a sports administrator to run the show, they dont know themselves, they are only their to make money and from the cutbacks thats what is happening, Having worked for three different firms owned by Merchant Bankers/Private Equity firms, they dont like to spend , rather cut back , show a nice balance and profit,, then sell!!!!!

Most suffer from "short arm -long pocket disease", just cant get to the wallet to get the money out
Old 25 Nov 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3336716)   #25
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Thanks TWR - those are both the same story linked in the first post by the look of them.

Interesting quote from the story: "The talks have not been escalated to the entire group, with the most powerful team owner and a person essential to any bid claiming he had not been included in any discussion."

Wonder who "the most powerful team owner" is meant to be? Roland is part of the group, Betty too. Surely the author doesn't seriously consider a Kelly to be "the most powerful team owner"?
I'm calling RD.

Where does the article say him and Betty are part of the group wanting to buy it back? All it says is they are team owners, not THE team owners concerned in the buy back