Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Jun 2015, 18:51 (Ref:3554535)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think its plain to see that BMW have had not only their 1st gear gimped and the ballast box moved, but they have also had their engine power cut since 2014. They are losing out so much on the straights, I think they will get slaughtered at Snetterton.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3554536)   #27
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think its plain to see that BMW have had not only their 1st gear gimped and the ballast box moved, but they have also had their engine power cut since 2014. They are losing out so much on the straights, I think they will get slaughtered at Snetterton.
It's the aerodynamics that have been changed, not the engine.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 19:05 (Ref:3554539)   #28
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it also looks like Jordan edges out of the title fight, he actually does worse in the "works" MG than his old Civic

something else to notice Plato already used up his race 3 soft tyre slots which means all his remaining rounds he will be forced to use it 2 times in race 1 and 3 times in race 2 while the Hondas still can use them in race 3...

speaking of the Hondas I really like that they aren't sitting ducks on the straights anymore , you can see they actually are often at the bumper of other cars in braking area

also is Aron Smith a bit too much collision proned ? specially with Josh Cook, seems he lost his touch as he is totally owned by his team mates now
Old 28 Jun 2015, 19:51 (Ref:3554562)   #29
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
Managed to miss Race Three - do I remember someone posting here that ITV have the races online to watch again? As in, not in highlights form? I couldn't find anything on the site.

Yes, under the races section. All supports too, fantastic move http://www.itv.com/btcc/races
Old 28 Jun 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3554581)   #30
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
But Jason Plato, he is something else, he can't accept being at a disadvantage, so he takes things into his own hands and makes a mockery of the rules. Much have come as a bit of a surprise for him that Shedden still finished 3rd on the soft tyre in race 3.
Those are the rules! If it wasn't right then they need re-writing. I personally thought it was clever if slightly underhand and IMO will need stopping.

Did you not see Shedden dropping down? He was leading! If the race was any longer he would have finished lower. Whine about Plato moaning all you want but he is right at the moment IMO.

Anyway great day racing, I was there and had a great time. I have to say I thought the car parking at Croft was very well organised, Silverstone could learn a lot!
Old 28 Jun 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3554585)   #31
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's the aerodynamics that have been changed, not the engine.
Oh you mean the phoney flat floor they were running?
Old 28 Jun 2015, 21:22 (Ref:3554589)   #32
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a tremendous day that was! I left my house yesterday and have just got in now, feeling tired but very, very happy.

Huge credit to WSR first of all, a dream weekend for Dick and the team. Pleased to see Andy getting his first win of the season, one of the sports genuine good guys.

The Hondas looked very, very quick in a straight line, hugely different from last year it must be said.

What JP did may not have been in the spirit of the sport, but it made sense and worked out pretty well for him.

Andrew Jordan had an absolute nightmare of a weekend. I keep expecting him and MG to just 'click', and he's been fairly solid but unspectacular so far, but this weekend was an absolute horror show.

The race 3 racing between Shedden and Prialux was wonderful to watch, you can see why they are some of the best in the business. Running side-by-side from the esses all the way to the line without any contact (certainly that I could see) A true example of top quality tin top driving.

Further down the field it was a real shame to see Mike Bushell's horrible luck continue. The pre-season illness, the leg injury (and subsequent cost) at Thruxton and now an arm injury and a blown engine today. I hope his luck changes as it's never nice to see anyone struggle as much as he has.

In the other Focus Alex Martin had an...entertaining day. He's almost reminiscent of a young Adam Morgan in the way he drives, with a lot of speed and spirit...but seemingly not a lot of thought. Very erratic but quite entertaining. I don't think he finished a race with a straight panel left on his car, although finishing Race 3 after a pretty big off at Sunny out (which left the car severely bruised at the back) was a real crowd pleaser.

Stewart Lines seemed determined to explore the local countryside in ever race.

What was the story with Keiran Gallagher? I spoke to him pre-race and he said that the Team Hard lads had been working overtime to get the car ready for Race 1. He didn't appear in it, or the subsequent races but Titch and co. never mentioned why.

Finally Nicolas Hamilton...well we expected him to be a rolling chicane and he didn't surprise us. I heard people saying he deserved great credit for finishing all 3 races, but it's very difficult to get a DNF when you're 10 seconds off the pace and being blown into the weeds by the Protons. His story is an inspiring one, and I have no doubt he's a nice kid, but he's nowhere near the standard required for the series. It surely can't be very pleasant for him to see cars who have spun off or been forced into the pits easily catching and passing him.

Andy Wilmot by the way, what a top guy! One of the chattiest drivers I've came across in my entire lifetime following the series.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 22:43 (Ref:3554603)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Anyone else frustrated by the lack of graphics in ITV's coverage of qualifying?
Old 28 Jun 2015, 22:44 (Ref:3554605)   #34
FFSM
Rookie

FFSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An excellent day's racing.

For me, we saw exactly why Rob Collard is never going to be challenging for a title. You'd shake your head in disbelief if a rookie in Ginetta juniors got done in the same way, by the same bloke at the same corner(s) in consecutive races. Rob's a nice fella, but clearly not too quick on the uptake. Good to see him win though - if only to keep Shedden's lead down.

Really hope that so many drivers are still within touching distance by the end of the year, it's been a cracking start.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 22:54 (Ref:3554609)   #35
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
Those are the rules! If it wasn't right then they need re-writing. I personally thought it was clever if slightly underhand and IMO will need stopping.

Did you not see Shedden dropping down? He was leading! If the race was any longer he would have finished lower. Whine about Plato moaning all you want but he is right at the moment IMO.

Anyway great day racing, I was there and had a great time. I have to say I thought the car parking at Croft was very well organised, Silverstone could learn a lot!

I did see Shedden dropping down, but in a TV interview Plato said he expected Shedden to drop further back in that race, so obviously it came as a shock to him. And him saying his tyres were ruined in two laps, well of course he was doing a quali session in race 1! And I'm not whining, I think it's time Plato got a reality check.

And I agree on Aron Smith, what happened to the future champion this year? Seems to be overshadowed by his teammates and a bit punch drunk suffice to say. Donington race 3 sums up his season so far.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 01:11 (Ref:3554626)   #36
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aron Smith is turning into Gavin Smith. Far too erratic and is really looking like he was in Clios at first, rather than the impressive consistent performer at the end of that spell and his time in the BTCC until this year.

Nic Hamilton did well and I'm right behind the decision to allow him to race. He's not any worse than any of the club racers at the back.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3554630)   #37
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Yes, under the races section. All supports too, fantastic move http://www.itv.com/btcc/races
Cheers mate. Very pleased they've done this.

Thoughts:

- Nic Hamilton did all right - didn't do anything daft or embarrass himself, which is about all I'd want out of my first BTCC race.

- Plato's little experiment sort of worked out - probably ended up with more points than he'd have had if he hadn't done it. I don't think it's terribly unsportsmanlike and certainly not underhanded - this is motorsport, and none of us should be surprised or alarmed when a driver or a team finds a loophole in the rules and exploits it. Good for him/them, I say - I'm sure Mr Gow and friends will shut it down for next year, though. It reminds me of when Formula 1 teams who made it to Q3, but who didn't have much of a chance of a good result from it, would sit in the garage and save their tyres - it's good for them, but it deprives the audience of potential on-track action. I'd have liked to see Plato fight his way forward, but they're going to do what's best for them and if they aren't breaking any rules, then so be it.

- Almost every car looked like it had been in a blender by the end of each race. Even the ones that didn't crash - I'm not a fan of the 'drive through the barriers' approach.

- Shedden's move to take the lead was fantastic, great driving by both. It's a shame that we all knew it wouldn't last with the soft tyre situation - when can we get rid of those? I'm sure it has created some exciting moments, but it seems so artificial (and so needlessly complex, with the x amount of uses in a 1st race stuff).

Overall, a good day's BTCCing. Now it's just another 40 days until Snetterton...
Old 29 Jun 2015, 08:46 (Ref:3554663)   #38
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
it didn't took JP long now he moans about the soft tyre
Tordoff and Priaulx ran them in race 3 and it did not cause them much trouble, they were overtaking at the end showing the value of rear wheel drive?
Old 29 Jun 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3554664)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Aron Smith is turning into Gavin Smith. Far too erratic and is really looking like he was in Clios at first, rather than the impressive consistent performer at the end of that spell and his time in the BTCC until this year.
Well they are brothers after all!
Old 29 Jun 2015, 20:27 (Ref:3554783)   #40
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great days racing from all series as always. The Ginetta juniors are just amazing to watch, was stood on the bank outside of Sunny-Out and lap after lap they were nose to tail, physically pushing each other along.
Driver of the weekend for me was Flash, the fastest FWD and his race 3 was just stunning, we deserved leader at the halfway point.
AJ was having a nightmare, the MG just looks a total pig to drive, even with running the soft tire in 2nd race, the amount of understeer he had to deal with was comical.
Would love to know what the attendance figures for Sunday were, the place was totally packed everywhere you looked.

Anyhow, here's my vid from the day's action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfFD6dAl0TY
Old 30 Jun 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3554878)   #41
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Can't help feeling that some large cushion kerbs need fitting at the first chicane - either that or just do away with it, as BTCC completely ignore the corner and straightline it.........I'd have been tempted to exclude about 2/3 of the field for "exceeding track limits".......

As ever, one rule for them, one for everybody else.
No, it's the same rule for everyone: You have to exceed limits three times before being given a warning, you'll get a drive through if you are reported a fourth time.

So everyone can go wide at the first corner of the first lap without being penalised.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 14:35 (Ref:3554908)   #42
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Can't help feeling that some large cushion kerbs need fitting at the first chicane - either that or just do away with it, as BTCC completely ignore the corner and straightline it.........I'd have been tempted to exclude about 2/3 of the field for "exceeding track limits".......

As ever, one rule for them, one for everybody else.........although in other races there were also a few "push to pass" incidents , not to mention a collective inability to see yellow flags......
Well, we were sat on the banking at Hawthorn (thanks for the tip Sodemo and Gary) and there were very few drivers observing the track limits at the chicane in any of the races. The marshals had to replace the marker post on the entry to the chicane there after every race throughout the day, and many drivers were even driving through the edge of the gravel so as to straight line the track.

What surprised me was that the BTCC cars were all having problems getting the power down coming out of Hawthorn. I don't know if the track has a low grip surface, but it was noticeable that the drivers were either feathering the engines or in some cases short shifting.

Overall it was a very entertaining day, although we didn't see much in the way of passing except some in the distance alongside the pits. Sat almost at the top amongst an eclectic bunch of people, mostly from further North East, who all seemed to enjoy the day as much as we did. Luckily, apart from a few spits of rain, the weather gods looked kindly on us, although they could have turned down the wind factor a bit!