Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Jul 2018, 06:55 (Ref:3834272)   #26
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Check out this dinosaur setting a new lap record at the Nordschleife. Wonder what time it could lap Bathurst.

https://youtu.be/KsLi7HgSuhI
All very admirable and a mind blowing drive but did you see this and I bet it cost a shed load less than the Porsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsfecynMpag

I still stand by my comments though, how can it be cheaper to produce a hybrid and less costly to maintain? Also how can there be any benefit to the teams or spectators to run a hybrid? The LMP1 class that the Porsche was in has been effectively dismantled due to costs and F1 is doing the same thing by removing the MGUH on cost and complexity grounds. Keep it simple, go IC or full electric and if cost is the ultimate goal full electric wins every time hands down but it is not feasible at the present time due to battery storage being in the early days of development. I have said it before SC finds itself between a rock and a hard place through no fault of their own on this issue.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 02:46 (Ref:3834518)   #27
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Gosh, and to think that Panasonic is a brand of batteries
Panasonic (formerly some products were also called National) make many things from irons to automated bidets & instant shower hot water heaters, to televisions & stereo systems, to mobile phones, to air-conditioners, to amateur through to professional grade camera equipment.

A truly great electronics brand! Shame that they have not been very successful in the smartphone mobile phone market though.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 02:50 (Ref:3834519)   #28
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Hybrids are already dinosaurs so why bother? Either make it ...full electric for simplicity and reduced costs.
How do you propose to run a 300km, let alone 1000km race, short of fitting the cars with a 3 tonne battery pack!?

It has potential.. VESA could do worse than to build a electric COTF concept using off the shelf electric racing parts, but surely the range of the vehicle remains a *huge* problem.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 02:58 (Ref:3834521)   #29
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
How do you propose to run a 300km, let alone 1000km race, short of fitting the cars with a 3 tonne battery pack!?

It has potential.. VESA could do worse than to build a electric COTF concept using off the shelf electric racing parts, but surely the range of the vehicle remains a *huge* problem.
Change cars at half distance.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3834599)   #30
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Wonder what time it could lap Bathurst.

https://youtu.be/KsLi7HgSuhI
I read on a forum that Bathurst has been mentioned.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3834648)   #31
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

I think I mentioned the limitations of batteries or did you skip that bit?
Old 5 Jul 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3834774)   #32
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
I think I mentioned the limitations of batteries or did you skip that bit?
I didn't spot it, sorry. I see you mentioned that in a later post than the one I quoted.

It must be said, the Tesla all-electric touring car has not started well on the battery front... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nkqMZBR-ak Overheating in two laps, oh dear.

I don't think of hybrid as a stop-gap, I think hybrids will be prevalent for quite some time IMO. I don't think people buying a Honda NSX should think it will outdated in 5 years time, since I don't think it will be. Hybrids will remain a good choice for the foreseeable time IMO.

IIRC Ferrari are planning to add hybrid systems to their vehicles, and you might expect the other exotic sportscars to follow, and eventually that to filter down to cars like the Mustang GT to be sold with a V6 Ecoboost + hybrid assist instead of a V8?

Edit - Reason being, that rightly or wrongly, manufacturers will have to meet increasing difficult fleet fuel economy standards so they have no choice but to hybridise vehicles and downsize the engines to get the fuel consumption down.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 5 Jul 2018 at 10:11.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3834798)   #33
Casper
Veteran

The ramp up of electric car releases starts next year from Europe and China is well into it already. You will notice that of all the proposed new cars there are no hybrids whatsoever and I reckon they will be looked upon as curiosities in few years. No manufacturer that I am aware of intends to produce a hybrid car from next year on and the new models coming of existing hybrids will be electric only. Range extenders are another beast altogether and could find a home in commercial vehicles doing start/stop metro work but main trunk linehaul (think Melb-Syd-Bris) will be all electric because they can be charged on the move without stopping at all.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 15:11 (Ref:3834824)   #34
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Range extenders are another beast altogether and could find a home in commercial vehicles doing start/stop metro work but main trunk linehaul (think Melb-Syd-Bris) will be all electric because they can be charged on the move without stopping at all.
Electric linehaul... That makes me think, what if we had massive trucks that hauled large amounts of freight between linehaul destinations, REALLY efficiently. Oh that's right, we already have them, they are called TRAINS

But trucking magnates don't own them, so they don't get used much.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3834829)   #35
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Electric linehaul... That makes me think, what if we had massive trucks that hauled large amounts of freight between linehaul destinations, REALLY efficiently. Oh that's right, we already have them, they are called TRAINS

But trucking magnates don't own them, so they don't get used much.
Getting way off the topic but I was employed in the industry so let me give you my ideal scenario. If I was the prime minister I would build a very high speed roll on roll off freight train network down the east coast, trucks would drive on and the train would leave when loaded, Syd to Mel in under 5 hours. We lose a truck a night on the Hume but no one ever hears about it except the driver's relos when he does not come home on time. I have had to prevent drivers leaving the depot because they were fatigued even when their log books said otherwise. it should be illegal for any truck driver to operate after midnight.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 22:47 (Ref:3834901)   #36
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Getting way off the topic but I was employed in the industry so let me give you my ideal scenario. If I was the prime minister I would build a very high speed roll on roll off freight train network down the east coast, trucks would drive on and the train would leave when loaded, Syd to Mel in under 5 hours. We lose a truck a night on the Hume but no one ever hears about it except the driver's relos when he does not come home on time. I have had to prevent drivers leaving the depot because they were fatigued even when their log books said otherwise. it should be illegal for any truck driver to operate after midnight.
Logbooks: The documentation that drivers use to look like they comply with the law
Old 5 Jul 2018, 23:58 (Ref:3834906)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There is technology to help drivers when their attention is dropping off, day or night, with movements in head position and eyeline (such as to look down at a ringing phone or similar..) and alarms (noise and vibration) in both the cabin and the fleet management group. Theory is the driver ‘re-awakens’ and can assess the need for a stop, or to continue. Either way, the event can show up as a coaching-required incident for later review/discussion

I know drivers who have operated at night for many years. They believed their bodies and physical selves had accustomed themselves to the inversion of day to night, yet the very same blokes (and a blokette) failed the technology above.

The human body cannot generally operate at night every day forever...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Jul 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3834999)   #38
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There is technology to help drivers when their attention is dropping off, day or night, with movements in head position and eyeline (such as to look down at a ringing phone or similar..) and alarms (noise and vibration) in both the cabin and the fleet management group. Theory is the driver ‘re-awakens’ and can assess the need for a stop, or to continue. Either way, the event can show up as a coaching-required incident for later review/discussion

I know drivers who have operated at night for many years. They believed their bodies and physical selves had accustomed themselves to the inversion of day to night, yet the very same blokes (and a blokette) failed the technology above.

The human body cannot generally operate at night every day forever...
I was one of those drivers who then moved to management and any driver who thinks he is on top of his game after midnight is fooling himself. No amount of technology will keep anyone awake once the brain decides to shut down. The idea of long distance driving being glamorous is pure crap to put it bluntly. I could write a thesis on this so I'll stop here.