Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Jul 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2250919)   #51
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race to Win
at least he is out there trying
unlike those who sit and write rubbish.
Armchair drivers !!!!!
I'd take jelleys drive right now if someone offered it to me/I had enough money.

I think Jelley ahs dissapointed in that car really, a dismal points haul so far. e was at least solid, and compared to the Motorbase cars, which has two drivers who, similar to Stephen, are new to the BMW, he has't done that badly.

It is stupid to get excited by 8th place, and as a WSR and Turkingotn fan I'd like to see Colin have a good team mate to support him. But if the team need money, they only have a small selection of drivers available, and while jelley hasn't done well, to fire him now would mean all the progress he has undoubtedly made will be wasted.

By the end of the year, when he's got his head round BTCC racing, I think he could be a good, solid driver.
Old 14 Jul 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2250927)   #52
BtccRob08
Rookie

BtccRob08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errr...Race to Win, if your comments were directed at me, I only said he isnt a natural touring car driver and that he should be in single seaters! He isnt doing himself any favours being in the BTCC and he may find it difficult to get a drive next year judging by this years performance.

The RAC BMW is a race winning car and Turkington has shown us that this year. Yes, Jelley did qualify 10th, only 3 places behind Colin, but Colin had ballast on his car, did he not?

I by no means have anything against the lad, but was just stating that he is under-performing with a good car beneath him.

Thats all!
Old 15 Jul 2008, 08:16 (Ref:2251089)   #53
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Are we talking about race 2? Track staff told me they had to rebuild the tyre wall around the marshals post at Sear hence the SC. If you replay the TV coverage you can just see a car 'going in' to the post at the edge of the screen.
its was race 1 that the post tyre wall was destroyed at sear after martin bell hit it hard.

the tv camera at sear failed to capture the incident thanks to andrew jordans high speed off into the field at sear wiping out the cables in the field connected to the camera.

the marshals in the post, who are my crew including my dad, were very very lucky that they werent hurt and scattered pretty quickly. some of the guys where really shook up but jumped back on the horse straight away and where great the rest of the day as always.

i was the other side of the circuit and heading into the field to check on jordan jr and completely missed bell going in.

the damage to the tyre wall was fixed at lunch and for the remainder of the first btcc race, after bells car was moved, and the seat race only 1 flag marshal and 1 course where left over there. the rest of the guys where move to the outside until the tyre wall, armco of which 3 posts where snapped and the catch fencing which was bent into the post where fixed as it was deemed to unsafe for all the guys to be over there.

several breeze blocks where knocked off into the post but no marshals where hit luckly. bell complained of leg pain after getting out of the car and looked pretty shook up. great to see he made race 2 and 3 and got a massive round of applause from us at the end of those races.

Last edited by Spaced Invader; 15 Jul 2008 at 08:22.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2251147)   #54
Race to Win
Rookie

Race to Win should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not having a go at anyone, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
However learning touring cars after single seaters takes some drivers longer than others.
If you look at the number of times stephen has been pushed wide or spun by other drivers, this accounts for some of the lack of points. I realise that this is part of touring car racing and is why it attracts the crowds it does, it takes time to adjust.
If you look at qualifying, I agree with the points made. Bear in mind that Tom
Onslow Cole never out qualified Colin last year. Colin is very good!!
Old 15 Jul 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2251251)   #55
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccRob08
BTW. did anyone see the Porsche races? They were suprisingly good!
I saw one at very close quarters. I was flagging at Riches when one came across the grass and hit my post, moving the armco, destroying the tyre wall and dislodging brickwork on the post itself. Certainly a 'clean undies needed' moment.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2251299)   #56
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD
I saw one at very close quarters. I was flagging at Riches when one came across the grass and hit my post, moving the armco, destroying the tyre wall and dislodging brickwork on the post itself. Certainly a 'clean undies needed' moment.
we saw that from sear. your boys had to move pretty quick! looks like they'll need plenty of cement up at the top of the circuit during the week!

did you see the clio we nearly had in at the sear in post? ive nver witnessed 1 car in at sear in post, 2 wouldve been crazy. the tyres marks suggested the clio was about a foot from hitting the tyres and us guys behind. i didnt see much myself cos i was trying to head in the opposite direction!

Last edited by Spaced Invader; 15 Jul 2008 at 13:49.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2251396)   #57
BtccRob08
Rookie

BtccRob08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD
lol, I take it that was Charles Bateman being 'punted' off by Sam Hancock? Did he get punished for it in the end? I didnt see the incident. I know the track commentator thought he deserved a penalty of some sort.

There was also a fairly big off down the Start/finsh straight wasnt there. The lady driver had a tyre let go I think. That also caused a delay, as another lot of barriers were damaged!
Old 15 Jul 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2251539)   #58
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
Is Giovanardi to good for this championship?
I consider him to probably be the very best TC driver today, and he pretty much won everything TC-related out there. One of the few things of importance he had left was the BTCC and I guess he officially doesnt have a WTCC title either (only the ETCC). I would be extremely surprized if he was not a championship contender if he did chose to move into WTCC, but maybe he is too disgusted by the brand politics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Holmes
The depolyment of the saftey car was as puzzling to the Marshals there as it was to you.
Well, probably the SC was not needed, but I'd rather they err 5 times on that than send it out 1 time to little and have a marshal badly hurt. The tire stacks right next to the track is not a favourite of mine though. Really not the best way to stop people from cutting corners IMO.

Quote:
I only said he isnt a natural touring car driver and that he should be in single seaters!
Agreed, I think it was a very to the point and probably correct analysis of Jellys performance so far.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2254595)   #59
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Invader
we saw that from sear. your boys had to move pretty quick! looks like they'll need plenty of cement up at the top of the circuit during the week!

did you see the clio we nearly had in at the sear in post? ive nver witnessed 1 car in at sear in post, 2 wouldve been crazy. the tyres marks suggested the clio was about a foot from hitting the tyres and us guys behind. i didnt see much myself cos i was trying to head in the opposite direction!
Spaced Invader,
I was at Sear In on Saturday. One of my favourite posts in the country, but always seems to be out there, waiting to be hit. Pleased to hear all the crew are OK. I know there is a tendency to lean on that bit of armco. Hope nobody was in the portaloo at the time!
Glad to hear all the crew at Riches were OK too.
I was flagging at Fantasy Island (Russell In) on Sunday. We did have Tom Onslow-Cole have a shot at us, but missed by about 6 feet.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2256898)   #60
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I only said he isnt a natural touring car driver and that he should be in single seaters!
Not if his performance in GP2 Asia is anything to go by, if I may say so!