Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Nov 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2341614)   #51
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!ld435.ufCQQhrtAu_je0WqDAbw--/article?mid=1378

I have no idea what the text says but there's some interesting pictures here.
Nice find

This reads a bit easier:
http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=nl&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!ld435.ufCQQhrtAu_je0WqDAbw--/article%3Fmid%3D1378&usg=ALkJrhifbi4jOwnOXnO2G_U0-KUym3FRxA

He used this forum (?) and the Super Touring Register.... lol

Last edited by FIRE; 25 Nov 2008 at 19:20.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2341626)   #52
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
He used this forum (?) and the Super Touring Register.... lol
I found it as a referrer on the webserver stats.

I'm still not sure I understand much of the translated version
Old 25 Nov 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2341642)   #53
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
About the Impreza. Isn't the rear wing to large for a super tourer?
Old 25 Nov 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2341646)   #54
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Swedish Mercs were ex Group A.

As far as I know there was never a Super Touring Mercedes constructed. But Mercedes were looking at bulding one, though the Motorsport Boss wanted them to focus on another set of rules...
Old 25 Nov 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2341697)   #55
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Super Touring Volvo S40 is moving again:

http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgd9i7T9UU

-1.0 degrees C with ice on the track. But Flash do seem to like it anyways...
Old 25 Nov 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2341728)   #56
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
The Super Touring Volvo S40 is moving again:

http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgd9i7T9UU

-1.0 degrees C with ice on the track. But Flash do seem to like it anyways...
What a glorius car, and what a glorius soundtrack she makes with her fivepot organ!

Thank you for making this possible, nice to see Flash so moved by the experience
Old 25 Nov 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2341739)   #57
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Excellent video. Looks like Flash was taking it easy but with ice on track you can't blame him. I believe it's not been used for nearly five years and you really don't want to bin it first time out.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 00:09 (Ref:2341814)   #58
sharpy
Racer

United Kingdom
Newcastle
sharpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yh, got to agree the noise of the Volvo is brilliant. He used to race the same car back in 2002 didn't he?? If so i take he had forgot just how good the car was judging by his reaction.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2342255)   #59
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Awesome. I'll never forget my first experience of the BTCC was seeing the 5-cylinder 850 of Rydell barking it's way down the home straight at Knockhill.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2342510)   #60
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might like this video of the '94 Japanes championship.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdnX_iHI6SM
Old 27 Nov 2008, 06:56 (Ref:2342594)   #61
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Awesome. I'll never forget my first experience of the BTCC was seeing the 5-cylinder 850 of Rydell barking it's way down the home straight at Knockhill.
Flash has this one as well, standing in Flash teamgarage

http://www.supertouringregister.com/...vehicle/14.php

Sounds glorius
Old 27 Nov 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2342717)   #62
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpy
If so i take he had forgot just how good the car was judging by his reaction.
Perhaps the translation wasnt 100% conveying his feelings. It was more of reminiscing "the good old days" and how fortunate he felt himself to be to have been actually racing this (type of) car in his career. At least that is what I got from what he said in Swedish.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2342721)   #63
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Flash had almost forgotten how good it was, it made him feel a bit sad over the current S2000 regs.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2342728)   #64
redshoes
Veteran

He's got no excuse now for not coming to Silverstone next year.

Now we know the S40 runs, it's time to start dusting off the 850
Old 30 Nov 2008, 09:32 (Ref:2344153)   #65
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nigel,

Just a thanks for updating the site and adding on some more cars.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2344166)   #66
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if its worth putting a non standard engine in to some of these cars? OK it reduces there value due to a lack of originality but might make them massively cheaper & technically easier to run & so could get more out. I'm thinking of AudiA4s with an (easily tuneable) 1.8 turbo or a Honda Accord with a Type R VTEC (250 ish Bhp in standard form) or a Vauxhall Vectra with a GM 2.5 V6.

They could run with something like a Sadev sequential transmission or even a conventional H pattern but at least they would be out - the engine change would not affect chassis or braking performance and, in something like LMA EuroSaloons there would be other similarly performing, but not ST, cars to play with.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2344540)   #67
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
About the Impreza. Isn't the rear wing to large for a super tourer?
That's an awesome site.

It's a local homologation by the JTCC organizers. Though in theory, the wing couldn't exceed a certain size ("box") so maybe it could have been possible though Volvo probably deemed the saloon to be more competitive?

It was run by Syms Racing. I believe the organizers probably allowed it to increase the grid sizes and b/c it was a backmarker whenever it did race.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 00:01 (Ref:2344545)   #68
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Didn't know there was built a C-class super tourer. Was it an official Mercedes project? Any pics (probably not )?
I'll try to look for it, but I recall seeing a blurry black and white picture of a supposedly genuine ST MB (93) C Class that never raced.

Yeah, it would be interesting to know what happened to that car? Could it be in deep storage storage in one of MB warehouses?
Old 1 Dec 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2344547)   #69
kmchow
Veteran

Not sure what kind of verification/requirements that the Supertouring Register requires prior to adding a vehicle, but Toyota had commissioned Rod Millen Motorsports to build/race a pair of fifth generation Toyota Camry (SXV20) for the NATCC. They were to appear for the '97 season which collapsed when Dodge pulled out. I don't know if there were ever officially homologated with the FIA or only with the national organizers.

For interest, a picture of the bodystyle (not actual racecar) can be found here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...2.80.931998.29

I recall reading a NATCC article where Rod Millen mentioned at least one if not both them were nearing finished/near completion. But there were never any pics of the car in any stages released. Afterwards, I read a (wild?) rumor that they maybe converted to run in the import drag races, but I never heard from them afterwards. I wonder what Toyota did with those pair of Camrys!

I'm always saddened those cars never saw the light of the day. It would have been awesome to see them race at least once! Or at least pics of the cars!

Last edited by kmchow; 1 Dec 2008 at 00:15.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2344800)   #70
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
I wonder if its worth putting a non standard engine in to some of these cars? OK it reduces there value due to a lack of originality but might make them massively cheaper & technically easier to run & so could get more out. I'm thinking of AudiA4s with an (easily tuneable) 1.8 turbo or a Honda Accord with a Type R VTEC (250 ish Bhp in standard form) or a Vauxhall Vectra with a GM 2.5 V6.

They could run with something like a Sadev sequential transmission or even a conventional H pattern but at least they would be out - the engine change would not affect chassis or braking performance and, in something like LMA EuroSaloons there would be other similarly performing, but not ST, cars to play with.
Not sure how easy it would be to do engine transplants - the engines in the super tourers sit very low in the chassis so any transplant unit would need to sit in the same place (to make sure steering and suspension/steering don't need too much adjustment), so it'd probably need to be pretty much identical in terms of size and then also be dry sumped I'd guess.

Having said that I seem to remember Ric Wood having an Audi A4 Super Tourer that was V6 powered? (not 100% on that but it does ring a bell - used in Britcar?).
Old 1 Dec 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2344860)   #71
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
Though in theory, the wing couldn't exceed a certain size ("box") so maybe it could have been possible though Volvo probably deemed the saloon to be more competitive?
Volvo had to switch to the saloon or they wouldn't have been allowed to run a rear wing. The rules said the wing could not be positioned higher than the roofline of the car.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2344862)   #72
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
I remember these VWs from South Africa: http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin...er_Tourer.html

They were the official VAG entry with Moss and Aberdein before the team there got hold of ex-European Audi A4s.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2344892)   #73
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
I remember these VWs from South Africa: http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin...er_Tourer.html

They were the official VAG entry with Moss and Aberdein before the team there got hold of ex-European Audi A4s.
Quote:
Built by ROK - full history avaliable
I assume this is ROC? Never seen this car before.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2344897)   #74
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Yeah I'm assuming it's ROC too. From memory it ran with the works VAG team in 1995 in South Africa.

Edit: Done some research and it ran in 1994 actually. The team moved to the Audi 80 for 1995 and the A4 for 1996. The car did run as a private entry though after the Dealer Team had it according to what I've been reading.

Last edited by Craner Curves; 1 Dec 2008 at 13:17.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 23:21 (Ref:2345982)   #75
sharpy
Racer

United Kingdom
Newcastle
sharpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having said that I seem to remember Ric Wood having an Audi A4 Super Tourer that was V6 powered? (not 100% on that but it does ring a bell - used in Britcar?).[/QUOTE]

It was a turbo charged engine which was fitted in the car that they raced in the Dutch Supercar Challenge and possibly Britcar.

Here is the link to the car's history from that fine website SuperTouringRegister:
http://www.supertouringregister.com/.../vehicle/2.php