Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1178339)   #51
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Still, Tomcyzk doesn't seem to have done much in his DTM career, really. He won a race a couple of years ago, I seem to recall, but since then Ekstrom has become the leading light of the Audi team, and Kristensen did OK this year. Personal choice of course, but I'd have put Capello or Kaffer in the new car. After all, Kaffer's certainly proved himself in prototypes, and he wasn't too shabby in the Porsche Supercup.
Endurance racing is not the same as DTM.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1178346)   #52
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Endurance racing is not the same as DTM.
Yes, tell that to Joest and Biela

Kaffer of course has appropiate experience: Porsche Supercup.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1178347)   #53
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed - who would have expected Biela and Pirro to struggle as they did last year?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1178357)   #54
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Indeed - who would have expected Biela and Pirro to struggle as they did last year?
Biela was really terrible, while Pirro at least succeeded in scoring some points.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1178358)   #55
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
According to dtm.de Manual Reuter will drive the 4th Opel Vectra next year.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1178374)   #56
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
BIG NEWS: a fourth manufacturer will join already NEXT year, so 2005.
source: www.dtm.de

Rover is named as a possibility.
source: www.racing1.de
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:35 (Ref:1178376)   #57
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
BIG NEWS: a fourth manufacturer will join already NEXT year, so 2005.
source: www.dtm.de

Rover is named as a possibility.
source: www.racing1.de
Is Rover able to raise the money for a DTM entry? (I would say not)
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1178377)   #58
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very good news, this, and it protects the series for 2006 when Opel go.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1178379)   #59
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Is Rover able to raise the money for a DTM entry? (I would say not)
Indeed a good question.

The new manufacturer will make an announcement itself. I hope it will happen very soon.

Quote:
Der ITR-Vorsitzende Hans Werner Aufrecht bestätigt: "Es wird 2005 einen vierten Hersteller in der DTM geben. Aber wir überlassen es dem Unternehmen selbst, diese Nachricht zu verbreiten."
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1178381)   #60
Kicking-back
Veteran

Peugeot has been rumoured for a while.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:47 (Ref:1178385)   #61
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Peugeot has been rumoured for a while.
Or Citroen

Peugeot is taught to do WTCC after stopping WRC.

It would be strange for PSA to race in WRC with its 2 brands (very expensive) and at the same time race in DTM (very expensive as well).

Maybe Toyota?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 17:14 (Ref:1178413)   #62
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, cos Formula One and IRL are pretty cheap

One less Brit of course if Reuter has (and was the most likely) got the 4th and final Opel seat.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1178438)   #63
Kicking-back
Veteran

Peter Dumbreck would be an attractive signing for any new manufacturer, however.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1178445)   #64
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
True, so is Scheider.

I'd forgotten - I'd have thought he was the dead cert for the 4th Opel seat really, not Reuter or Dumbreck. Timo was pretty much the top Opel runner all year. Hmmm.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1178452)   #65
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Or Citroen

Peugeot is taught to do WTCC after stopping WRC.

It would be strange for PSA to race in WRC with its 2 brands (very expensive) and at the same time race in DTM (very expensive as well).
Agree

Quote:
Maybe Toyota?
There were rumours in the past

So:
Hans Werner Aufrecht (ITR) has confirmed there will be a 4th manufacturer
I think this is a great success for DTM. After the news of Opels redraw after 2005 this gives hope DTM will continue after 2005.

According German magazine "Auto Bild Motorsport" the 4th manufacturer will be Rover with their Rover 75 with V8 engine. The car will be developed by Zytek.
I have my doubts about Rover because I don't think they can afford a DTM project. Has Rover a considerable market share in Germany?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1178458)   #66
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I've lost track of who owns who in the motor industry...is Rover still owned by BMW or did they sell it?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 17:59 (Ref:1178470)   #67
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
...and...

Can't they run with this thing? Looks like DTM material already

http://www3.mg-rover.com/rover_GB_en.../node9916.html
Old 13 Dec 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1178490)   #68
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rovers sales in Germany are very, very small.

Rover are now owned by a Chinease company.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 18:23 (Ref:1178508)   #69
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The Rover deal makes no sense at all really. It makes more sense to just throw the West Surrey squad at the DPM for a year if Rover want to cough up the cash...without a massive budget to make it a worthwhile runner against the might of Mercedes & Audi, DTM is not worth the attempt.

Even more so since the chinese deal appears to be just be finalised (quick research on my part SAIC is the firm).

Peugeot makes more sense, and I reckon a WRC & DTM campaign isn't financially beyond the might of Peugeot & Citroen really - they don't have to develop a 2006 package for WRC after all.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1178528)   #70
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
The Rover deal makes no sense at all really. It makes more sense to just throw the West Surrey squad at the DPM for a year if Rover want to cough up the cash...without a massive budget to make it a worthwhile runner against the might of Mercedes & Audi, DTM is not worth the attempt.
The WSR MG's took part in the last round of DPM and there are/were rumours they enter next season.

Quote:
Even more so since the chinese deal appears to be just be finalised (quick research on my part SAIC is the firm).
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62318

Quote:
Peugeot makes more sense, and I reckon a WRC & DTM campaign isn't financially beyond the might of Peugeot & Citroen really - they don't have to develop a 2006 package for WRC after all.
Indeed they don't need much development for next season. But still I think they focus on WRC (especially Peugeot after their disastrous season). If Peugeot or Citroen enters DTM I don't see the link with Zytek.
There are also rumours (according www.pitstop.tv) Peugeot will go back to Le Mans with the 907 V12.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1178629)   #71
Peter 1025
Rookie

Peter 1025 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Rovers sales in Germany are very, very small.

Rover are now owned by a Chinease company.

No they are not !
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1178642)   #72
John Winter
Racer

John Winter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the Rover website: MG Rover Group is an independent British company designing and manufacturing two world leading automotive brands, MG and Rover. We are a fast moving, quick thinking and forward looking company that encourages innovation and spirit.

So they are not owned by a Chinese company.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 21:03 (Ref:1178671)   #73
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter 1025
No they are not !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...portaltop.html

There is no chance whatsoever of ROver/MG entering the DTM without input from the Chinese company!
Old 13 Dec 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1178678)   #74
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I work for a French owned company - you look at the UK website, you've got no chance of finding out it's French!

But regardless - it's UK owned at the moment, China's buying Rover - see the thread FIRE showed me, or here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4031671.stm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Winter
From the Rover website: MG Rover Group is an independent British company designing and manufacturing two world leading automotive brands, MG and Rover. We are a fast moving, quick thinking and forward looking company that encourages innovation and spirit.

So they are not owned by a Chinese company.

Last edited by Hazard; 13 Dec 2004 at 21:12.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:41 (Ref:1178851)   #75
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so who is the mystery 4th manufacturer???? Alfa i hope in anycase...Rover would be neat-o, butmaybe it'll be Cadillac, and as Opel phased out, GM still has presence in an already DTMified Tourer...the CTS-V